Ideas for tile backsplash and flooring
Allen Pogorzelski
I recently bought a condo in the San Francisco Bay area that hadn't been updated since it was built back in 1982. I've removed all popcorn ceilings and painted the common areas a green color that I love. With the kitchen cabinets in, and "Silver Star" quartz counters in, I'm now struggling to find the right flooring and tile back splash.

The quartz counter tops are white, with small sea foam green and metallic flakes.

The left side of the kitchen will have four stainless steel shelves, rather than cabinets, so the back splash tile with show alot.

The condo association has very strict rules on flooring. I can install hardwood or cork, but not tile. The material I'll install in the kitchen will extend into the foyer, dining room and living room.

I'm a man in my mid forties, living with my 10 year old son. We both like designs that lean toward a more masculine look.

Any thoughts on flooring and back splashes that would work are much appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Here is one idea with a more industrial feel.

0 Likes   Thanked by Allen Pogorzelski    April 13, 2014 at 9:22AM
apple_pie_order
You might check the manufacturer's website to see what they show for backsplash. My guess is plain white or off white. Could be a stainless steel "tile" sheet or mirrored glass, the latter maybe not so practical in this case.
0 Likes   April 13, 2014 at 9:47AM
Allen Pogorzelski
Thanks apple_pie_order. Unfortunately, I bought it from a huge warehouse-style granite place that imports directly from China. The prices are incredible, but the service not so much, so they can't really help there. I like the stainless steel and glass sheet idea.
0 Likes   April 13, 2014 at 10:36AM
mjjk
Since a lot of backsplash tile will be showing, you need to keep it simple. Your quartz and cabinets are beautiful and don't need to be overshadowed. Here are some samples I think would look good in your space. The first one is called white but it has definite glass green tones that would work for you. Also the large scale looks modern. The second one is white but if you install it vertically with a light grey grout it would add some height and dimension to the space. The last one is just a simple white tile but mixes glass with ceramic and marble for an interesting look.

Either cork or hardwood will look great in your condo. I'd probably go with a shade slightly lighter or darker than your cabinets.
1 Like   Thanked by Allen Pogorzelski    April 13, 2014 at 10:40AM
Patricia Colwell
Can you have laminate with the proper underlayment?
I have installed this slate look laminate in condos here but not sure about your situation. It is so easy to look after and has those greeny gray colors that work well, then i would just choose a very simple glass subway tile like in first pic above, keep it simple and then you can have some fun with accessories that you and your son like.
1 Like   Thanked by Allen Pogorzelski    April 13, 2014 at 10:51AM
apple_pie_order
Your countertop is similar to SIlestone "stellar snow". A houzz search turns up 27 photos: http://www.houzz.com/%22stellar-snow%22
Use quotes around "stellar snow" in the search box if the above link doesn't work. If you omit the quotes, you get 5000 photos of snow.

Here are some metallic tiles used as accents;
Grace Street, Lombard IL 1

Master Suite Rennovation

Grace Street, Lombard IL 2
1 Like   Thanked by Allen Pogorzelski    April 13, 2014 at 10:58AM
need backsplash ideas for dark grey tile countertops
We're installing large dark grey tile counter tops...
Ideas for kitchen counter tops, sink, backsplash and tile
We are remodeling our 1920s kitchen and I would like...
Lighting ideas for the new kitchen ? Backsplash tile?
I am looking to get lighting ideas. The backslash will...
Backsplash tile ideas
Hi there. I'm looking for ideas for a backsplash for...
Need exterior ideas!
Keeping the siding for now on our new house. What would...
Ground floor in terraced house
Hello, We ve been discussing for our newly build house...
Need advice for door color
I am wanting to add some color to the front of my house....
help me with the curtains and the rug
this is my family room it has 5 windows i would like...
Urgent, help with countertop decision!
Long story short. I was only told yesterday that the...