Need suggestions for area rug to match red couch and dark flooring!

V RiderApril 13, 2014
We are looking for an area rug that complements the dark flooring and red couches in the living room. The couches face a fireplace/accent wall that is painted a dark charcoal color. We would like to have a contemporary look for the room but aren't sure what types of colors/patterns would complement. Wall color is Stucco Tan.
dianeck61
I found this.
Hand-Tufted Geometric Pattern Wool/Art Silk Red/Gray Area Rug (5 x 8) · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by V Rider    April 13, 2014 at 3:03PM
V Rider
I like the pattern but the shade of red that doesn't match the leather so wondering if it would clash more than complement.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 9:32PM
dianeck61
I agree reds and blues are so hard to "match". Maybe try a charcoal background with a small red pattern.....
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 4:59PM
Nancy Walton
If you could find the "reverse" of that rug it would look great! The red part would be so small you would never notice if it didn't match exactly
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by V Rider    April 14, 2014 at 5:05PM
V Rider
So either a beige/light tan/off-white background with red pattern?
I really liked this one -
Feldman Architecture · More Info

How about something like this but with a simpler pattern?
Works Photography Inc. · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 8:44PM
Nancy Walton
I found this one, a Surya rug. It is described as mossy green and red, but it looks to be more gray than green, so it just might work for you.
    Bookmark   Thanked by V Rider    April 14, 2014 at 8:44PM
Nancy Walton
It definitely has the MMC vibe going on to go with your sofas.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 8:45PM
V Rider
Is that rug on Houzz? Where did you find it? Also, what is MMC?
    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 1:52PM
Nancy Walton
Mid-Century Modern. Andthe rug can be found on overstock.com, homedecorators.com, or rugstudio.com. The manufacturer is Surya, and the item # is mnr1015-58
    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 2:35PM
Nancy Walton
That should've been MCM
    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 2:36PM
Nancy Walton
I have to apologize. I couldn't find it on any of the sites I listed, but I did find a similar one at rugstudio.com by the same manufacturer in ivory/red. It is listed there as Surya Goa in Poppy.
    Bookmark   Thanked by V Rider    April 17, 2014 at 2:58PM
Studio NOO Design
V rider is right, you need to go with a light colour to give contrast and not keep the room too dark.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 3:15PM
Dorota Mitoraj
Just a few suggestion from www.domirugs.com. First one is a kilim, 2nd and 3rd vintage Turkish rugs. All wool.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by V Rider    April 17, 2014 at 3:25PM
V Rider
@Nancy - The 2nd rug actually seems like it would go better with our wall color. Unfortunately, we need roughly 9"x6" and this is one is either 5"x8" or 8"x11". Also, it's very pricey ($1500) for larger one, I assume, because it is 100% wool. Will keep looking for something similar.
@Dorota - these are nice rugs but wouldn't fit the contemporary look we are going for..
    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 5:20PM
Cheryl Pannone
Wow, notice all the baby stuff. I very strongly recommend a wool tribal Persian carpet. You can get some really great deals on the 4x6 size at rugman.com. Don't try to match, find something that will pick up your reds. Also, added benefits are: a busy pattern will hide bottle spots, and wool is rally resistant to dirt from kids and if you get tire of the rug - there is always a good resale market for Persian carpets.
    Bookmark   Thanked by V Rider    April 17, 2014 at 5:50PM
Rugs Done Right
Hi V Rider- there are plenty of rugs that come in your color scheme and size. Would the 5x8 be too small? Here are a few ideas, and you can use the Houzz discount code HZ15 for free delivery and 15% off:

If you'd like personal help just let us know- we are happy to suggest more options for you! You can reach our designers at online@rugsdoneright.com, or here is fine too!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 5:54PM
Rugs Done Right
Here is the link to the one Nancy posted for you:
https://www.rugsdoneright.com/ProductDetail.asp?SKU_ID=60733&ImageName=MNR1015-Surya_Rug_Co_-Storm-n_a-Rectangular.gif

And just for fun:
https://www.rugsdoneright.com/ProductDetail.asp?SKU_ID=52776&ImageName=BWS4636-Foreign_Accents-Ivory-n_a-Rectangular.gif
    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 6:04PM
faylala
A contemporary black and white might be nice
    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 6:07PM
lovebugsmom
I cannot see the rest of your room, but I really like mustard with cranberry and the grays.
    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 6:58PM
V Rider
Cheryl - yes, we have a 6 mo old who will start crawling soon which is why we need a larger carpet for that space. The rectangle space bounded by the couches is roughly 9"x7" so a 4"x6" won't cover it completely.
RDR - we like geometric patterns in pic 1&2, will check out your website. The Surya rug is definitely too expensive for our budget.
faylala - any in particular you've seen here that you would recommend?
lovebugsmom - The fireplace wall is opposite to the window. Room dimensions are 17'8"x15'9".
    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 10:30PM
mehraz84
In my opinion you should change the floor or you couch ^s color
    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 10:58PM
V Rider
Why?
    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 11:15PM
Diane Kehn
Macys has contemporary area rugs. I had a burgundy couch and found a beautiful black and white are rug with a thin red border that made the rug pop. Really nice.
    Bookmark   Thanked by V Rider    April 17, 2014 at 11:39PM
A crawling toddler usually means some collateral damage. Much as I love the geometric designs, you might find dirt will show up. Why not look for a good value Persian style rug that has enough pattern in it to hide marks. I really feel cream or a light colour will add some contrast to the floor which is rather heavy when next to the red couches.
Traditional Nain 9'2"x12'10" Rectangle Cream-Red Area Rug · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by V Rider    April 17, 2014 at 11:55PM
V Rider
I agree that the floor needs some lighter colors but the Persian style doesn't match any of our furniture or rest of our decor (artwork, photo frames etc.)
I am thinking of something like this
https://www.rugsdoneright.com/ProductDetail.asp?SKU_ID=24680&ImageName=Balloons-Concord_Global_Trading-Multi-n_a-Rectangular.gif
or
https://www.rugsdoneright.com/ProductDetail.asp?SKU_ID=40932&ImageName=4000_199-Dynamic_Rugs-Natural-n_a-Rectangular.gif
    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 1:02PM
I like your first rug - I had suggested the Persians as they are somewhat busier (for practical purposes)...
    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 1:07PM
The Visual Merchandising Group
Hello V Rider! I love the look you have going on. The rug I have attached is a modern looking rug and would complement your style in the space well. Now this particular rug wouldn't have to be purchased but I did include all the info for it in case you like it. I think it picks up all the colors being used in the space. The one suggestion I have is to change the curtains or to have a seamstress add some solid fabric to the bottom to create a little more drama once the rug is added.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 1:16PM
Go a 8x10 rug in a bold contemporary design. With black, gray, red and other bold colors, to bring room together.
    Bookmark   Thanked by V Rider    April 19, 2014 at 1:25PM
Fabrics to go with red leather couch
I have a beautiful red leather couch and am planning...
Joan
Need color for area rug, couch and chairs
Our wall are mocha and charro. My wife wants couch,...
keith31542
Need help with rug for dark leather couch
What type of rug would look best with a black/dark...
ginagdvm
Dark Living Room needs a bright makeover!
Our dark woodwork and dark stained flooring seem to...
nouterbud
Suggestions for an area rug?
Hello, Do you have any suggestions for an area rug?...
pattycake_
kitchen layout advice
My head is spinning with decisions from our kitchen...
Julia Loeb
what goes with a teal couch??
I have this light teal couch and love seat and have...
theruts
Need help with my Kitchen & Dining room remodel!
Hi All, I am in the process of preparing to remodel...
elle1515
A Hare-y bedroom
Im about to embark on designing this bedroom. I have...
toatsmcgoats
I need help with my kitchen's beauty.
I would love some advice on how to deal with this awkward...
kellydemuth