Bathroom Falling Apart
Nancy B.
We have a tiny bathroom that used to be a pantry. There's clearly a leak (see photos) coming from the shower. The floor is also coming up. We'd like to leave all the fixtures where they are, but want to replace shower (doors, tile), floor and faucets. We put a fan in, but there's clearly still ventilation issues (given the mildew growing on the walls / ceiling). We plan on selling in a couple years but want something affordable and stylish now, that we can also enjoy until we sell. Need help with design and construction.
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Mold can be deadly. if you don't deal with it and find the source of the water leak it will only get worse.

You can start by taking out walls and flooring until you discover the source of the water leak. Remove the rest of the moldy structure before putting back anything new.

Once you have repaired the leak, then you can replace all walls and floors, etc. with new materials.
April 13, 2014 at 11:32pm     
Unfortunately Lampert is right. There is no ignoring this issue. Find the source of the mould, fix it and then worry about the rest....
April 13, 2014 at 11:47pm     
Curt D'Onofrio
Since you got a mold issue, and you wish to sell in couple of years, then you need to resolve it or disclose problem to potential buyer. Not disclosing problems upon closing is both legally and morally wrong. Period!!! For first time home buyers, like a doctors prognostis, get a first and second, and even third opinion.
April 13, 2014 at 11:53pm     
GN Builders L.L.C
x4 with what everyone said.

Nancy,
Mold is a serious issue, and if you cover up the surface with paint or tile over it... it will only get worst down the road, because mold will continue to grow. I doubt you want to put a band-aid over it and sell your house, this things must be disclosed, because if they don't you will have a major headache... With that said, if you do disclose, you will have a hard time selling your house.

Best solution in your situation is demo all the wall coverings in the bathroom, do mold remediation and redo the whole bathroom using Hardie Backer board in the shower area, etc... make sure your fan discharge properly installed and vented, etc. Not only you will sleep better at night, it will help you sell the house faster and you will re-coup your money spent on the bathroom.

Good luck
April 14, 2014 at 4:21am   
Ditto, from one who's been there, done that. When my daughter sold her house, the inspector found mold we didn't even know was there. We had to gut the upper half of the kitchen before the sale could proceed. If you cover it up now, you'll just have to gut it later, and you jeopardize your health in the meantime.
April 14, 2014 at 5:16am   
apple_pie_order
You asked for help in design and construction. The mold issue has been brought up already. If you post a floor plan and more photos that show the space, you may get some more good advice. Also please indicate if your plan includes replacing the toilet and vanity as well as gutting the shower area for a new tile shower. Is there a bathtub, too, that you will keep or replace?
April 14, 2014 at 5:55am   
Andrew Garner, The Somerville Showroom
I agree with all the previous comments. You will need to find and fix the source of the mold before you begin to remodel the bathroom in anyway. Mold can be a health hazard and should be priority number 1 for both you and any possible buyers will certainly ask about it.
April 14, 2014 at 6:12am   
MY BATHROOMS ARE DATED AND FALLING APART!!!!!!!
I have a small bathroom, roughly 12 x 8, that is FALLING...
My bathroom is falling apart!
My floor is coming up and I have a hole that leaks...
Bathroom over 20 yrs old and falling apart !
Tiles are cracked, Formica peeling, no more grout....
My bathroom is falling apart. It should have been redone 10 years ago!
There has been a lot of serious illness in my family....
Laundry room needs to be redesigned and bathroom is falling apart.
My laundry room also has the freezer and storage space....
Colour dilemma
Am building a new house my kitchen is white, the walls...
Need help with dining room
I am currently using our garden furniture, not sure...
Your best advice to keep slugs at bay
Few things are as annoying as slugs. They're a gardener's...
Help with sunroom off of kitchen
Hey guys!! We just bought a new house and I love the...