Nursery question, WINDOW
newhomeowner49684
This is the nursery. Obviously still the guest room but painted. Getting carpet, etc. My question is, what should I do with the window? Obviously were going to get rid of the brown shades. But should I just do blinds, roman shade, curtain?

The curtain question is, would it be beneficial to hang a high curtain to make the room appear longer, or would it shrink the room?
Warner Decor
Hi! I think you are definitely correct in that you should hang the curtains a little higher to create the illusion of space! Here are a few ideas for you:
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/birds-branch-burnout-curtain/
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/white-bird-and-botanical-burnout-curtain/

Hope this helps you!
2 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 6:00AM
newhomeowner49684
Thank you!
0 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 6:38AM
raineycarole
Can you put room darkening curtains up? They are nice to have in a nursery.
2 Likes   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    April 14, 2014 at 6:46AM
bluenan
Babies sleep better in a dark room. Sheers would be fine if you also use white wooden blinds. I would use curtain panels over blinds like the examples below. Blinds are so much more easy to adjust while holding a baby, Roman shades are nice, but not as easy to pull up and down evenly.
Nursery
English Rose Garden (Peter Rabbit) Nursery
1 Like   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    April 14, 2014 at 6:50AM
Rina
My first instinct was to use a blind and curtains, but after working on this a bit I decided that the curtains in fact make that wall seem crowded, because it is so narrow. Maybe just a blind? You could use blackout lining on it if necessary.
3 Likes   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    April 14, 2014 at 7:06AM
newhomeowner49684
Thank you!
0 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 8:53AM
newhomeowner49684
what about these? except in white. They are shear. And use white wooden blinds behind it?? What do you guys think?
2 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 8:55AM
Warner Decor
those are very pretty. that would look great!
1 Like   April 14, 2014 at 9:23AM
newhomeowner49684
Bumping for more suggestions.
0 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 2:40PM
Eagledzines
I would use shorter ones. When the little one starts crawling, down the drapes will come if they are long.
0 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 3:23PM
Judith Harrop Interior Design
Use a roller or roman blind, blackout, as the functional treatment. Then use a pole and fit it a few inches above the window, and extending about 4-5inches beyond at either side. The curtains, are then slotted onto the pole with a 2 1/2" heading above. The curtain meets in the middle and then is tied back high up letting the leading edges from a swagging and the remainder of the curtain 'tailing' down either side of the blind.
Attached photo to give the idea, is actually too full and obviously only a single one. Imaging it reflected and on the larger window :-)
1 Like   April 14, 2014 at 3:48PM
Judith Harrop Interior Design
Is this a bit better ...
0 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 3:51PM
Judith Harrop Interior Design
You could use a coloured sheer with a patterned blind fabric or a plain blind with the pattern in a lightweight cotton..
0 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 3:52PM
Genevieve
White and lilac ,pink and lilac, black and lilac all of these would look great
Jane Lockhart Interior Design
Kids Rooms
0 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 4:15PM
US Verticals Mfg, Inc.
My suggestion would be to consider a white Plantation Shutter on the window, with a Full Drapery Tied back on the left hand side of the window. I would suggest a fabric that is white with a Lilac or Even a light blue accent. A fabric like this could work.
1 Like   April 14, 2014 at 4:36PM
newhomeowner49684
UPDATE! Excuse the mess!
1 Like   April 23, 2014 at 5:22AM
US Verticals Mfg, Inc.
Very nice! Just be sure to shorten the cords to a height that your kids can't reach them.
0 Likes   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    April 23, 2014 at 5:29AM
Patricia Colwell
There are many choices in cordless blinds and that is what I would go with, no point in taking un-nessessary risks.
0 Likes   April 23, 2014 at 7:00AM
newhomeowner49684
Thanks Patricia, but we just bought and hung these blinds, so I'm not changing them.
0 Likes   April 23, 2014 at 7:13AM
newhomeowner49684
But I do have a QUESTION. What would people think of hanging a valance over the window? It matches her crib bedding.
1 Like   April 23, 2014 at 7:14AM
Patricia Colwell
That would be pretty and soften the look of the window. It also will be easy to change when she gets older.
1 Like   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    April 23, 2014 at 7:53AM
bluenan
If you use a valance I would hang it higher than the window to visually elongated the window.
0 Likes   April 23, 2014 at 4:08PM
homekeptheart
hah! just found this question after i answered it for someone else so forgive me as i cut and paste. i want to mention that with the girls balloon shade (below) i never open and close them, just the roller shade behind them. the cords are wrapped securely out of reach of anyone (including me!) so i feel like they are safe. -

what i have always done in my nurseries - and my children's bedrooms - is this. a very good (pay more for this because you will be glad you did) room darkening roller shade. and then i use a valence or balloon shade depending on the style i am going for. i don't like the shade with a panel as much because when it is up and the curtains are open i don't want to see it!

i have a large family and have decorated many nurseries. the most important thing IMO is to be able to control the light. you will want to be able to make it dark in there, especially when you are putting your 4 year old down in the summer time and they insist it's still day time because it is light until 9 pm!! and in the morning you pop up that roller shade and all you see is your beautiful valence. voila!

i am attaching 2 pictures. the boys room i didn't fix the valence before snapping the picture which makes my OCD side a little nuts but i'm using it anyways, a la "the nester"!

blessing to you and your little one!
0 Likes   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    July 3, 2014 at 12:19PM
Motorized Window Coverings for Nurseries
What are your thoughts on motorized window coverings...
Drapery Help for two different sized windows in nursery.
I have a pink and grey nursery for my daughter (coming...
Window treatments in nursery
How would you cover these two windows? One rod? Two?...
Help with covering windows in a baby nursery????
We would like to find a way to block window light for...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Cat friendly fabric?
I'm recovering a beautiful expensive chair because...
Colours that works with the floor
I just bought a house and the kitchen is stumping me....
House exterior
I want to repaint my house and roof .please advice...
DESIGN DISASTER! GRANITE AND TILE DON"T MATCH!
We have spend $$$ totally remodeling our master bath...