Should I paint out these ugly garage doors?
beeflady
I have posted my home exterior to design dilemma previously and a couple of helpful Houzzers suggested I paint out the garage doors in order to minimize them. I'm finally ready to do it but need advice - do I paint out the windows (they are plastic) or leave them - note that we now have ugly foam insulation showing through the windows on the left side. Also thinking about painting all the cream trim out so it is the same colour of the house so that the house doesn't look so "choppy". The house was painted three years ago, just before we bought it and we can't afford to have the whole thing repainted....just looking for ways to make the house look more cohesive.

To paint or not to paint, and what to paint....that is the question.
unwantedadvice
Most pro painters will tell you the garage doors should be the main house color. If you did that, do not paint out the trim the same color, your house will have no contrasting colors and look very blah. I would change the white to something else, maybe a color that would pop more instead of the white that is already there.

Hopefully other Houzzers with more paint experience will help you pick some colors.
April 14, 2014 at 1:45pm        Thanked by beeflady
Sound Painting Solutions
I agree, I would paint the doors the same color as the body of the house and leave the door casings white. Good luck:)
April 14, 2014 at 2:11pm        Thanked by beeflady
Megan Springle
I also say paint the garage doors and leave the trim white, but you might want to consider painting the garage doors white as well to match the trim.
April 14, 2014 at 2:17pm      Thanked by beeflady
minimumjoe
Most garage doors -- wood, metal, vinyl, etc. -- look pretty much the same ... at least yours mirror the roof line with its Prairie Style horizontal line, more or less. Still, I don't blame you for wanting to diminish them ...

Have you considered keeping the ivory (??) and painting the entire bottom wall that color, at least on this side of the house. The doors will retreat that way, and the house may look a little more dignified.

Fwiw, I like your house, your paint, and your garage doors ... assuming this is the back side of the house and exits to an alley. If this is actually the front of the house, oh yikes. Forget the paint and save your pennies for a reno that loses the garage, I'd say.

In the 1950s, having a garage that faced the street broadcast your wealth: you owned two cars, wow. But 60 years later it's another thing that's wrong with the world.
April 14, 2014 at 2:22pm        Thanked by beeflady
Rizzolo Brown Design
I would agree with minimumjoe. I would paint the entire bottom-doors, siding and potentially trim the same color all around (without seeing other facades it is hard to tell). The upper level will appear to float over space and would work with the lines of your house.
April 14, 2014 at 2:27pm        Thanked by beeflady
beeflady
Ha, thanks for your comment! This is indeed the front of the house - it is a 70's house. They built a living room addition (on the right with the windows), over the carport and then added the deck over the other side of the carport. It may look ugly now, but just imagine it without the garage doors and the top of the house hanging over a big open space full of junk.

sigh.

Next year I plan to put up a screen across the front which will hide the doors altogether and provide some architectural interest but for now I'm trying to do what I can with paint...I like the idea of painting the bottom a different colour than the top...but the question is, lighter, or darker...or brighter?
April 14, 2014 at 2:32pm     
bgfuqua
as a first step, paint just the garage doors the body color of the house. leave all trim as is. do not paint out the windows. fix the problem that is causing insulation to show. paint out the gray thing (vent?) by upper right window with the same body paint. have the drive and extra concrete power washed. then stand back and see - I think it will please you.
April 14, 2014 at 2:43pm     
sandkshouse
Okay, I know this isn't what you asked about, but it's been a long day, and I needed to divert my mind for a bit. Any chance new doors and a whole house paint are in the budget?
April 14, 2014 at 2:43pm     
flair lighting
since you can only afford to do the doors, i wouldn't go the same color. i tried it in a pic for you..maybe a dark choc. brown?
April 14, 2014 at 3:01pm   
Magdalena Bogart Interiors
Painting the garage doors so they blend with house, makes the bottom half of home very boring looking. White like trim is a good and clean looking choice. I love the photo shop photo showing dark trim, which would be another good way to go.
April 14, 2014 at 3:08pm   
beeflady
WOW - what a difference. New doors aren't in the budget this year...but maybe next. what a difference just painting the house a different colour with the trim a darker colour. You have given me hope. thank you.
April 14, 2014 at 3:34pm     
beeflady
Here's a thought - what if I painted the garage doors dark grey and then painted all the cream trim a dark grey to match the doors? That might tone down the "pinkness"I don't have one of those programs to do that on a computer screen but I'm going to print out a photo and colour it in to see...I only have to fix the front right now as the way the house is positioned, you can't see any other side of the house from the road.
April 14, 2014 at 3:47pm   
beeflady
perhaps not....
April 14, 2014 at 4:22pm   
mollysmom123
I really think it's a cool house and looks good as it is. Down the road, you will want to upgrade the doors and make it something you like better, if the doors are making you unhappy. But try not to spend on an intermediate solution. It's not that bad! With the exception of the shoji trim style solution, nothing up here looks better than what you have now. Try to look at it through new eyes and embrace it!!!
April 15, 2014 at 5:32am     
mamadocng
How about painting the doors black and keeping your white trim?
April 15, 2014 at 11:39am   
beeflady
The doors are dark brown now so I'm not sure black would be enough of a change...I'm trying to minimize them so the house doesn't look all garage ....but they are glaringly ugly.
April 15, 2014 at 11:44am   
mollysmom123
Do you remember that show Curb Appeal? Do they still do that - you could get on it! But sometimes they would do giant window boxes. I think for your house they would probably do a giant window box under the windows, then build out a trellis or awning or overhang of some type over the garage to give it some detail and break up the boxiness. I wonder if those shows are on youtube - I always wanted them to come and fix our cracked walk and rebuild our porch!
April 15, 2014 at 2:57pm   
beeflady
I would love to get on one of those shows but I live in Victoria BC and they never come here...my "next-year" idea is to put a wooden screen across the front of the house to create some interest, then maybe a pergola above those two weird windows at the top.

I have 102 images in my exterior idea books...but not the budget right now.

I just said to my husband recently, why did we buy such an ugly house...but it is our forever house so we'll get it turned into something smart and sexy eventually.

thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas.

Fougeron Architecture
Buttrick Wong Architects
April 15, 2014 at 3:11pm   
wyndyacre
Wow! I think the picture sandkshouse did is stunning and something to aspire to in the future! The shoji-like doors make the garage to appear more like windows into a great room and really improve on the contempory style of your house.

Meanwhile, your house doesn't look that bad. I would paint out the garage doors the same colour as the body of the house for now, leaving the trim white and would get 2 really large glazed pots...perhaps teal coloured...something that would look good with the house in the future too....and plant them up for the summer with colourful plants. It's important that the pots be LARGE, to be proportional to your tall house...maybe a tall one and a shorter, fat one, both placed together on the triangular right side of your driveway.
April 15, 2014 at 3:14pm   
beeflady
You know what, I think you're onto something. I'm liking the shoji-door idea more and more (thank you sandkshouse) and I really love the dark grey colour. I'm going to work towards that and in the meantime, paint out those doors and do some planting as you suggest.

thank you for taking the time to comment.
April 15, 2014 at 3:42pm     
What colors should I paint my house, garage doors, trim and windows?
We installed a very dark walnut woodgrain front door...
Should I paint garage doors grey?
I Just painted my front door red and thinking of painting...
What color should I paint my garage door?
I'm trying to sell my home, but do not have curb appeal....
What Color Should I Paint my Garage Door?
I just painted my front door an olive green and now...
What color should I paint garage doors and trimmings?
Buying this rehab....knew the old fella who built it...
loft condo accent wall ideas
Good day, converting a 10yr old loft into a more...
Dining room help
Painted my dining room Benjamin Moore's" tea light...
What color to paint railings on porch
We've been in the process of updating the exterior...
What do I put on these shelves?
We are moving into a rental and I need some decorating...
Sikkens solid color stain vs paint
Has anyone had experience using Sikkens that will be...