Is Berber carpeting a mistake if you have cats?
Denice ShutyApril 14, 2014
Someone said I shouldn't get Berber carpeting if I have cats - that their nails will catch on the loops and pull the threads out of the backing. Is that correct? I didn't think a cat would be strong enough to do that. What have other people experienced?
grobby
I have Berber in one room and my cat, Bella, somehow gets her claws in the loops. I don't know of any materials they can't claw.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 6:58PM
ProSource Memphis
It's a horrible choice for pet owners.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:25PM
cabingirl13
We have Berber in one of our rooms and have had no issues with our cat snagging any loops. Granted the carpet is fairly old and seems fairly flat....but I have never seen the cat clawing it at and pulling up any loops or strands.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Denice Shuty    April 14, 2014 at 7:30PM
Denice Shuty
grobby, do they actually pull the threads loose?
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:35PM
Denice Shuty
ProSource Memphis, what do you recommend? I really dislike the cut pile, frieze, shag, types in my price range. I also would like a carpet that doesn't show footprints or vacuum lines so easily.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:38PM
grobby
Yes, Bella can pull up the loop, not all the way out, but I can tell when she's been at it. I've also seen her clawing the carpet and does she ever enjoy it.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 8:46PM
Darla Scheuerman
I made the mistake of installing it in two rentals. Cats did a fabulous job of de-threading it :). Dang cats, I love them so much, now I install cut Berber
    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 9:44PM
Lynda
I had Berber in a bedroom in my previous house for 10 years - with 3 cats. Never had a single pulled thread.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 9:46PM
janellos
My cat works at the spot on the carpet just beneath a closed door so all my doors have a "threshold" in the berber. He pulls up a loop and pulls it so I get a nice long string pulled out. I've had some success with using a hot glue gun sort of repair it but it generally looks terrible.... go with something, anything! else!
    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 9:50PM
poollover
Depends on your cat, I have four and one is a determined scratcher despite several scratching posts he loves our very expensive duck egg blue leather sofa. All the corners are now suede, can't stop him tried all sorts, now shout - he stops and then a few seconds later you here a single ping as he removes a claw, I think he is making a point.
Should add I don't have a shred of carpet in the house so his options (apart from those provided for cats) are limited.
    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 1:02AM
Oops! I deleted by mistake. My Living Room needs help
Our living looks like old people live here...tee hee...because...
sstrunk
Help me avoid a $3,000 mistake!
Choosing paint color for a Very open Arizona floor...
kathy3207
mrtlindsey
Bedroom help needed please
Bought new nightstand, mercury glass lamps... trying...
Julie Dyer
Brick fireplace TV ideas needed
Ideas and suggestions needed. We are moving our Flat...
clr315
living room
Having trouble picking out tile or something else to...
Lauren Scott
Great Room Layout Help!
Not sure how to layout this room? Details: Sectional...
cookiecrumbs