undecided on double bowl , triple bowl or a single bowl kitchen sink
jap3707916April 14, 2014
what are the advantages/ disadvantages
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ispoildogs
I prefer a single bowl kitchen sink because it is normally larger, making it easier to wash large cooking and serving items.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 3:08AM
Curt D'Onofrio
Double bowl. One for washing, other for drip drying. We have a 50/50 split. The disadvantage...in our place, there isn't any. Life is good :)
    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 6:07AM
PRO
DirectSinks
The trends that we see is that the northeast loves the single bowl, but the midwest still likes the double bowls. It depends on how you are going to use it. Some people like a garbage disposal- so they go with a double bowl. I prefer a single bowl so I can put large cookie sheets, turkey pans flat to scrub them. But here is an idea... Why choose!? Dawn makes a sink that you can make a single OR a double with a quick and easy switch of an acrylic divider.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 7:56AM
Curt D'Onofrio
@Directsinks....Aha. thanks. In our current setup that looks very very good !!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 8:07AM
PRO
DirectSinks
Glad we can throw another option in there!

Our Houzz friends get an extra 5% off their purchases on our site. Just use Coupon Code: HZDS2014.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 8:19AM
PRO
ExpressDecor
Most commonly used are double bowl sinks, as it offers multitasking capability with one bowl available for washing up utensils at the same time other one can be used for rinsing vegetables. I have 60/40 size double bowl sink which offers one bowl with bigger space for washing big pans and pots.
Also particularly look out for what's included with sink, combos give good value for money. This Kraus sink comes with Faucets and soap dispenser included at very best price.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 1:03PM
Curt D'Onofrio
Nope...pondered for what seems like days...What is good about a triple sink ?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 1:41AM
PRO
DirectSinks
I'd say a triple sink is most commonly used in a commercial setting. They do not sell very often in a residential project because they will require a 42"+ sink base size, which most of us don't normally have [if this is something you want, you must talk to your kitchen designer to make sure this size sink base cabinet is designed in].

But I would think people would use a triple sink with a garbage disposal in one bowl, and two other bowls for prep & washing. It all depends on what YOU want to do with YOURS. Try and notice how you use your current sink... and see if you use larger pans that you want to wash flat, or if you'd like a double bowl to keep things separate, or even if you want to go all out with a triple bowl.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 8:33AM
Merry McMahon
I am a kitchen designer in the Midwest and the majority of my customers are going to a one bowl sink. Most people mainly use the dishwasher and what needs hand-washed are the large things like pots and pans. So much easier in a deep single-bowl sink. Goose-neck type faucet with pull-out sprayer is a must!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 4:22PM
sarakaun0
Merry, I'm in the Midwest and agree with you. I'm in the process of updating my kitchen and trying to decide on a single bowl versus double bowl. I currently have a 50/50 sink and use a dishwasher, but handwash pots and pans. Granted a double bowl helps when soaking dishes, but the bigger pay-off is being able to wash large pans and pots. I bake a lot and this is a huge bonus.

This divider almost made a no-brainer, but I was looking at Kraus sinks not Dawn. I've almost resigned myself to a double, but I think the payoff is greater with a single with a little change of habit.
    Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 8:57AM
PRO
DirectSinks
The single bowl "trend" has been in the Northeast for years at this point. I just love the one sink Dawn offers, it gives you the best of both worlds if you can't decide. - Because your sink is going to be there for YEARS to come. So you might as well be happy in all aspects.
    Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 9:08AM