What color of walls with these distressed cabinets?
amydolbert
Family of seven, trying to update our kitchen on a budget. Test cabinet that is SW Wythe Blue and antiqued, along with granite shown in picture. Need help figuring out a paint color....
Tres McKinney Design
pick a color that matches the lightest or medium cream color in the granite and it will work beautifully with the blue green cabinets. If you prefer a richer color then go for a cafe mocha color for the walls in the same tone as the browns in the granite. the trim should be a creamy white instead of bright white or paint it the same colors as the walls.
April 14, 2014 at 9:12PM        Thanked by amydolbert
Kitchen Liberty
You might try a terra cotta brown by Benjamin Moore Color Stories palette known as "Mexican Hot Chocolate". It will take 3 coats to look right, but this color is magnificent, and it'll make that cabinet pop like a firecracker! (While looking natural and chic)
April 14, 2014 at 9:22PM      Thanked by amydolbert
amydolbert
I left some details out of my posted question. The woodwork in our house is going to get painted as well. It is a very dark brown. What you see on the base of the cabinet in the picture and the trim in the background is two coats of primer. We are painting all the trim downstairs, including window trim. I like the idea of a creamy white :) because we don't like the bright whites. The granite was here when we bought the house but it had been slapped on top of our very old cabinets in order to help sell the house, I'm assuming. We have wallpaper to remove in several rooms as well. I would like a nice color on the walls...our kitchen has two windows that face west so there isn't a ton of light. The color on the walls that I was trying is cupola yellow by Sherwin Williams. I just can't decide what to do. I wouldn't have picked the granite because for our kitchen, it seems too dark.
April 15, 2014 at 5:57AM   
MarleneM
I think if you paint wall a light colour pulled from the granite as suggested it will also highlight the granites lighter tones making it appear less dark. I love the finish you have done on cabinets and looks good with the granite.
April 15, 2014 at 12:32PM      Thanked by amydolbert
amydolbert
Thank you all for your responses. Really didn't think that this would be sigh a hard decision. I just want it to look terrific! Our house is a cape cod and I would love to go with a cottage feel design scheme....
April 15, 2014 at 1:35PM   
Love the cabinet tone - can't tell but the granite appears to have a lot of gold / yellow. You want to avoid that deep yellow with your wythe blue but the creamy wood work is just the right thing. You can go soft on the walls to bring in more light but it needs to pick up the undertone of the stone . . .yellows are the hardest to pick, even in a cream tone but that is what you need - something that will appear darker than your creamy trim but lighter than the countertops in the same family. Test bm simply irresistable http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/simplyirresistible if you don't like the ideas for chocolate or mid tone neutrals in the brown family. Test, test test for anything with a yellow undertone - they reflect the light around them so very latitude and room specific.
April 15, 2014 at 2:19PM      Thanked by amydolbert
Help - Impossible Living Room Layout!
Hello, I'm moving into a small condo in a few weeks...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Need help for master bath
I have a very high tech looking tub, 40+ jets, seats...
Need help for treed front yard landscape idea
Hello all, We appreciate some advice from the community....
Black Granite - which one is least susceptible to "finger smudges"
I have to pick a black granite for kitchen (off-white...