Neep help choosing an accent color for my living room!
maqi
I need help choosing the right color for the TV wall to break up the gray. Any suggestions to update the off-centered fireplace would be very helpful....paint, mirror or pictures?
Rina
Hi Maqi. I've taken the lazy woman's route and stolen a colour from your picture for the TV wall -- but do make sure that whatever you paint that wall will also work in the adjoining area, as the wall seems to go on to another room. I like the warmth it adds, lazy or not. Then for the fireplace, I think a picture placed off-centre as I've indicated below would balance its position well.
April 15, 2014 at 10:57AM        Thanked by maqi
maqi
@Rina Thank you for the suggestions. Can a round mirror work instead of a picture? or individual frames of different sizes? Which color would you recommend to use in any case.
April 15, 2014 at 1:38PM   
Megan Springle
I would do a darker gray on the tv wall to contrast but still complement the other walls. As for the fireplace, I think the surround and the 80s brass are a bigger problem than the fact that it's off center. Perhaps you could replace the surround on the fireplace.
April 15, 2014 at 1:44PM   
Pella Doors and Windows of Northern California
I love the painting you chose for the wall. I would pull a grey blue out of the painting and put it on the wall. Adding a throw blanket with color and more pillows will make this room feel warm.
April 15, 2014 at 1:50PM      Thanked by maqi
Rina
Hi Maqi. Sorry to take so long to reply, it's morning here now and I slept through the conversation. I think you are asking for a specific paint colour to give the effect above? Hard for me to do as I don't know US paint colours so I have to depend on what I see on screen, and it would be a matter of working with a colour from your painting, which I can't do with any accuracy. You could look at Benjamin Moore Approaching Autumn or Warm Sunglow.

Using shapes only, here are suggestions of how a round mirror or a gallery of different frames might look. I don't think that a round shape would work in that off-centre position -- see the first three pics below. I'd put it either directly above the fireplace or well off to the side. The gallery would work quite well, I think.
April 16, 2014 at 12:35AM        Thanked by maqi
maqi
@Rina Thanks again! I prefer the gallery look as well. Which color of frames should I go with?
April 16, 2014 at 6:53AM   
April 16, 2014 at 6:58AM        Thanked by maqi
Rina
What would you want to put in the frames? Art (drawings, small paintings?), colour photographs, b/w photographs? Or do you want to just use decorative frames on their own?
April 16, 2014 at 7:06AM   
maqi
@Rina I'm open for suggestions. I can do black and white or color photographs.
April 16, 2014 at 7:15AM   
sunnydrew
I would skip the accent wall in a different color and use some accessories in color to bring in just a bit of an accent color. You have a nice room here already. keep it simple. it will make it easier to change up later if you do not have a single wall in a different color.
April 16, 2014 at 7:19AM        Thanked by maqi
maqi
@Warner Decor the starburst wall mirror was my initial preference. I'm hesitant due to the off centered fireplace. I've attached a new pic to help with the suggestions.
April 16, 2014 at 7:20AM   
maqi
@Warner Decor I'm willing to make changes to the fireplace tile and wall. Thanks in advance.
April 16, 2014 at 7:21AM   
maqi
@sunnydrew Thanks, your right. Can you please let me know what other color and what to add on the wall? My couches are dark brown and I have a lot of turquoise in the room. I'm thinking of adding a different rug to add more warmth.
April 16, 2014 at 7:26AM   
sunnydrew
You can also use some of the oranges/warm colors from your large art work. That would warm up the room. maybe change some of the couch cushions to include that color too. Try moving your tall twigs to the right of that window, next to the TV.
April 16, 2014 at 7:47AM      Thanked by maqi
Do you use the fireplace? Looks like you don't since you have chairs in front of it. I'd get rid of it.
April 16, 2014 at 8:04AM   
Rina
Good point, Groveraxle. Maqi, I'm going to hold fire for a bit as the proximity of the door to the fireplace rather changes what might work in that area -- i.e. either a big (ish) work of art or a gallery might press too close to the door. I had imagined more wall space to the left of the fireplace. It's getting to be almost night time here, so my tired old brain says nah. No more. I'll check in tomorrow morning to see what transpires. :-)
April 16, 2014 at 8:48AM   
maqi
@Rina Unfortunately, getting rid of it wouldn't be an option right now. I will wait for your new suggestions! Thanks again and good night :)
April 16, 2014 at 8:51AM   
Scott Cloud
My 2 cents...
April 16, 2014 at 9:14AM        Thanked by maqi
Rina
Hi. I've done two possibilities here, and I think either would work -- provided you do something to balance the lower part of the fireplace, as I've done with two floor vases. Scott Cloud has done it above with a very deep vertical art work. If you go for a gallery, I think you should use b/w photographs of artistic value in themselves, black frame, white matte. But if you really hanker after a sunburst mirror ... why not? (Sorry this took so long; busy day.)
April 17, 2014 at 9:32AM   
Rina
Hover cursor on the image to see them full length. I should have put them on two separate attachments.
April 17, 2014 at 9:32AM      Thanked by maqi
Lifespace Designs International
Seeking color scheme help? You can receive FREE color scheme makeover for a room in your home by visiting Lifespace Designs Free Monthly Design Offering Board: http://www.pinterest.com/lifespaceintl/lifespace-free-monthly-design-offering-board-sprin/ and "pin" the Month of May Free Design Offering Pin to enter!
April 19, 2014 at 11:59AM   
maqi
April 22, 2014 at 12:54PM   
Rina
Hi again. It's a beauty, and very much in line with your style of furniture. The one thing I am concerned about is whether the colour will work with the pinkish fireplace. I've tried to reduce it in size to paste on to one of your room pics, but it ends up looking very squiggly and much more gold, so that's no help. Anyway, screen colours are dodgy.
April 22, 2014 at 10:53PM      Thanked by maqi
maqi
@Rina I can change the pinkish tiles - what should I replace them with? any suggestions?
April 23, 2014 at 6:28AM   
Rina
I think this would look good -- it's a concrete tile. And you could consider taking it up to the ceiling. The mirror would look great on the wall or the tile.
http://www.solusdecor.com/fireplace-surrounds/block/
April 23, 2014 at 7:19AM        Thanked by maqi
.
April 23, 2014 at 8:31AM        Thanked by maqi
Rina
I like Grover's horizontal extension, too -- though I'm not sure about the stone. Too rustic, perhaps, for your furniture?
April 23, 2014 at 9:00AM   
Modular panels, maybe:
April 23, 2014 at 1:49PM   
Rina
Nice!
April 24, 2014 at 2:10AM   
maqi
@Rina @groveraxle Do you think I should do the whole wall?
April 25, 2014 at 11:49AM   
maqi
@Rina @groveraxle or any of these? I need something to bind the floor and the furniture color. Thanks
April 25, 2014 at 12:00PM   
janiehburton
I would use the deepest shade of blue/ teal/aqua found in your art work to paint the wall where the tv is mounted. The room is nicely appointed, so I think I would just give that one wall a little more focus.
April 25, 2014 at 12:18PM   
Rina
Good morning, Maqi. Of the three possibilities you posted, I like the first two (though the grey could be a bit darker, I think). The last one is too pink on my screen. I don't think you have a problem with floor/furniture colour, by the way. They work well.
April 25, 2014 at 10:57PM   
bgfuqua
I would not make the tv wall an accent - why would you want to call attention to a tv?
April 25, 2014 at 11:12PM   
Neep help on choosing wall color for my kitchen.
I would like to have a tuscan design style kitchen...
Need help choosing accent pillows for my living room.
Do these patterns work together? My couch is white...
Need help in choosing a third color for my accessory in my living room
I have two different Wood color between my living room...
help choosing color for my living room
I thought i found the perfect color for my living room,...
Screening/Hiding unsightly area ideas pls!
I'd like to hide these unsightly electrical boxes....
Shutters and/or window boxes??
Hi Houzzers! I'm feeling that the addition of some...
Create modern exterior
Hi there, we are planning a major remodel of our 1930's...