Kitchen remodel
webmangham
Hi, I am planning a kitchen remodel and have drawn a few theoretical ideas in PowerPoint. I would welcome and appreciate any suggestions.

I am trying to keep demo to a minimum while opening up the kitchen.

Barbara Griffith Designs
Is there more to the kitchen? We need to see the whole room as it is now and your plans for it. Your plan looks like a partial room..very little cabinets no stove or fridge. Help!
April 15, 2014 at 1:56pm   
webmangham
Sorry, here are two addition photos. Thanks.
April 15, 2014 at 1:58pm   
Barbara Griffith Designs
Are these your real cabinets or are they photo/drawing combination. If actual cabinets, are you getting new cabinet fronts?
April 15, 2014 at 2:32pm   
webmangham
Yes, the cabinets are real. Only the lines are drawings. Do not plan on getting new cabinet fronts, just leaving them as is and changing the hardware.
April 15, 2014 at 2:35pm   
diyher
I think I would actually change the cabinet fronts :) It almost makes it a bit busy on the eyes because of the wavy design in the door. Don't know the type of wood the cabinets are made of, or how old they are, but maybe painting the cabinets will lessen the design of the doors?
April 15, 2014 at 2:40pm     
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would not spend the money to change out the wall and NOT change the door fronts. If you do change them the space will look great and really add value.
April 15, 2014 at 2:46pm     
webmangham
Good point, thanks.
April 15, 2014 at 2:53pm   
marlamuffin
It looks like you have beautiful hardwood floors and a nice layout in your kitchen. The cabinet doors are odd looking. If I could suggest maybe new doors in a cream color and painting the existing cabinets to match. Updating the knobs/pulls in a oil rubbed bronze or a brushed nickel with a coordinating faucet would look beautiful. And if your budget allows new counters and a tile backsplash. I also like your recessed lights, but the ceiling fan must be replaced or removed.
April 15, 2014 at 3:40pm   
Eagledzines
You will have to make sure the wall is not a bearing wall. Ask a contractor or architect who can visit the premises. The studs in the wall you are thinking of removing most likely go from floor to ceiling plates so in order to achieve the look you have drawn you will have to build a header and support it with jacks on either end.

I love the charm of these cabinets. Whoever built these was a real craftsman. Each door size has to have it's own jig in order to build it. Perhaps these are Butternut wood? They would look fabulous in home with real stone floors and beamed ceilings. (see pics). But if you want to update as suggested above you could make the kitchen more in keeping with what I can see in the rest of the house. If you decide to keep them, I would take away the ceiling fan and add a light that complements the cabinets (see last pic)

Renovated Tuscan Farm House, Siena, Italy
Traditional Kitchen

Windsor Kitchen
April 15, 2014 at 3:52pm     
Sustainable Dwellings
I think I would leave well enough alone here... maybe consider painting and glazing the cabinets above/around/below range (?) They look like good quality. Unless your budget is unlimited... try that, and put new more dramatic countertops on. Change the lighting too.
April 15, 2014 at 3:58pm     
Eagledzines
One last thought is that if you decide to go ahead, make sure the face frames are not built as one. I forgot to mention this in my last post. They might very well be built-on-the-wall cabinets. That's how a lot of old cabinets were built in years gone by. If so, the small wall cabinet on the right side of the sink might be connected to the face frame of the cabinet to it's right and would be difficult to disconnect.

I would have a hard time ripping these cabinets out and replacing them due to my respect for them. But I would consider glazing them as Sustainable suggested.
April 15, 2014 at 4:20pm   
webmangham
Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. Looks like I still have some thinking to do.

I appreciate it!
April 15, 2014 at 7:54pm     
Eagledzines
Your welcome. Best wishes on your project.
April 16, 2014 at 4:48am   
Please help me design my barren conference room. .
I own a company where I sell and design custom websites....
Fireplace and TV configuration help needed!
We've just moved into a new home, and we'd like to...
Need help deciding on a backsplash!
We are updating our showroom kitchen and need to decide...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...