This is our new house - lets change it! Starting with the kitchen...
Juan Barnett
OK. So my wife and I just bought a new, very large home. We are going from 900 sqft to 3,600 sqft. After Kid 2 arrived we decided to treat ourselves. The house is in immaculate condition, is 27 years young and the previous owners did a great job making every renovation meticulous. But, as you all know, no one can leave well enough alone.

So, our first mission, aside from buying TONS of furniture, was to start thinking about what if anything we might change in the kitchen.

So here is the current kitchen. Our biggest dislike - the color of the cabinets are too 'warm' and just won't go with the rest of our house which will be themed and furnished with a combination of stuff from Restoration Hardware and my DIY craft bench. Think coppers, metals, woods and mechanical.

We will be replacing the stove with a new Viking unit that I fell in love with. But other than that we are just getting started on the kitchen. We don't want to undo too much as we love the copper backsplash, black trims/sink and granite, but the floor and cabinets are on the chopping block should we come up with something that flows better and is more our style.
victorianbungalowranch
I'm sure everyone is going to say this, but painting the cabinets could make a huge difference. Since they are oak, the grain is going to show, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you feel up to it, you could fill in the grain and sand to minimize it. They look like they are in too good of shape to tear out just because you don't like the color. Tabour door could be a challenge though!

Here's a link for painting kitchen cabinets: http://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets/
April 15, 2014 at 3:49pm        Thanked by Juan Barnett
Delton Cabinets
Some local cabinet makers and companies will offer refinishing services. Generally they will take all your doors away to be refinished then send someone to your house to refinish the installed portions. Your space would look great with a change in finish and an update to the handles/pulls. Also, I agree that the copper back splash is great!
April 15, 2014 at 3:54pm        Thanked by Juan Barnett
Whispar Design
Grats on the new house!! Is there an island/peninsula or just the "L" configuration? Lighting is one option to add some of your style to the mix. You mentioned restoration-type fixtures? Perhaps something like this over the sink to pull in the copper? This series also has matching pendant fixtures - not that everything needs to be matchy-matchy Wall Lights + Sconces Newberry Pendant

If you do have a peninsula, a few pendants like those above or perhaps these? Chadwick Restoration Pendant
April 15, 2014 at 4:03pm   
Juan Barnett
If the Tabour doors were to be removed, I wouldn't cry too-too much. My wife loves them, I'm 50/50 on them.
April 15, 2014 at 4:04pm   
Juan Barnett
I guess I should add photos of the entire kitchen (Whoops!) Whispar - There isn't an island, but there is a peninsula that currently has a very whacky circle track lighting over it that is not staying if I have anything to say! Love the pendants!
April 15, 2014 at 4:09pm   
Sustainable Dwellings
Paint cabinets! change the lighting! It looks like a nice kitchen, but those simple updates with new hardware could look amazing.
April 15, 2014 at 4:13pm     
Patricia Colwell
The tabour doors are a bit dated but they do hide a few neccessities. If you really want to redesign the kitchen a floor plan and some ideas of what you want would be really helpful.
April 15, 2014 at 4:14pm     
Patricia Colwell
I don't love the overhead cabinet on the right side of the window, looks a little odd. Some nice black hardware and a paint job would do wonders. The layout does not seem that bad but if you are looking for a total redo send floor plans.
April 15, 2014 at 4:18pm      Thanked by Juan Barnett
Juan Barnett
"Paint cabinets" - Yes, but what color! :)

Patricia - The floorplan is a challenge at the moment as we don't close for another 2 weeks. We are just getting a jump start on planning as we'll have about 2 weeks of time to do and/or contract any work between when we close and when we move in.
April 15, 2014 at 4:18pm   
cheripetri
I agree with painting the cabinets. How about a warm grey. It would look great with the copper and a bit industrial. You can have the cabinets painted by a body shop. I hear they do a slick job!
April 15, 2014 at 4:20pm     
Sophie Wheeler
Pull a gray from the Dakota Red granite. It has cool blue gray tones with the reds. A smoky dark gray----with added lighting including under cabinet lighting----would be a nice modern touch.
April 15, 2014 at 4:27pm     
obriennk
I would suggest checking out Cabinets To Go, I was going to reface my cabinets, but they were less than refacing. I went with the Ivory and sold my house in 72 hours because of the kitchen. Good luck in what ever you decide.
April 15, 2014 at 4:29pm   
Juan Barnett
Sophie - Great advice! All the cabinets are already wired with under cabinet lighting. I'm going to attempt to load this all up in Photoshop to see if I can create some coherent vision.
April 15, 2014 at 4:30pm   
Eagledzines
What color depends partially on what components you will be keeping. Will you be keeping the countertop and sink? Appliances? Flooring?
April 15, 2014 at 4:32pm   
Juan Barnett
Eagle - We plan to keep the countertops, backsplash, fridge, cabinets. The dishwasher is from 1992 and the stove is a bit dated as well. With the fridge being SS, we aren't opposed to go SS w/ the dishwasher, stove and microwave. I don't have a problem with the floor, but if it needed to go I think we could down the road replace it. We just want to find some cost-effective ways to give the kitchen a more modern look and to pull in what we think are some create colors like the copper, black and grays in the granite and backsplash tile. We are novice DIYers too.
April 15, 2014 at 4:36pm   
KShoa
I think you can do a combination black/white (or more precisely, espresso brown/off-white) cabinets. Light color on the top. Dark color on the bottom. They'll look good with your copper.

Definitely change the floors.

Here are a few configurations.

Kathia's Old Kitchen

Needham Kitchen

Kitchen Remodel

Lincoln Park Residence

preppyplayer
April 15, 2014 at 5:07pm   
Eagledzines
You might like a color that pulls off the browns in your granite, but much lighter, instead of a stark white or stark black. In the second picture you can see the difference in whites between the white marble top and the cabinet below it.

English Tudor Kitchen
Showhome 2010 - 2
April 15, 2014 at 6:01pm   
Marie-Josée
April 16, 2014 at 4:24am   
Patricia Colwell
I would be inclined to go a pale gray to tie in the counter and the stainless and it would work with the copper.Have the cabinets sprayed professionally it makes a huge difference . Then they just come in and paint the boxes. To save a lot of hassle I would just leave them the way they are design wise the change in color will be very nice.
April 16, 2014 at 6:00am   
Cabinets 4U, Inc.
It is hard to get a nice, smooth finish when you paint over oak, but I do think this kitchen cries out for a more modern design and color. I am a huge fan of the soft grays, and I think it would really open up your space. This picture is a great example of what your kitchen could look like - it even has a similar ceiling.
April 16, 2014 at 7:58am   
Juan Barnett
I don't know Photoshop very well, but I made an attempt to go both soft gray and in the total opposite direction, very dark. Frankly, with a new floor I think a very dark stain might also be an option...then again, you are the pros and I'm not :)
April 16, 2014 at 9:59am   
Juan Barnett
Here I went ahead and added the stove we'd like to purchase. We will also be upgrading the dishwasher to SS as well. I added a light-colored bamboo floor. I'm not sure what floor would go should we decide on a very dark (black) stain.

We have decided in the dining room we'll have a 120" rectangle dining table from Restoration Hardware (relcaimed wood) in black, along with overhead pulley lights that we intended to carry into the kitchen to use over the bar.
April 16, 2014 at 10:35am     
KShoa
Now try off white on the top, and leave everything else as your last photo with the hardwood. I think it might open up your space better.

Gray not that nice.
April 16, 2014 at 1:34pm        Thanked by Juan Barnett
dadlereisel
The first thing I noticed is that you have a lot of wood in the space. I would see if you can order a few of the same doors for the upper cabinets, but with glass inserts. This will make the space more pleasing to the eye and give a break from all of that oak.
April 16, 2014 at 1:54pm      Thanked by Juan Barnett
fredm51
I am a woodworker and love wood. But I saw a kitchen that was similar to yours that was painted black and it looked great. I do not like black in your kitchen but off white or off white uppers and black lowers would get rid of the wall of wood.
April 17, 2014 at 1:04pm     
Juan Barnett
Every attempt I made to display an off-white top and black bottom looked "off." I think it's the copper int the glass tile backsplash. I'll try it again tonight.
April 17, 2014 at 1:29pm     
victorianbungalowranch
That pinky floor tile and copper backsplasj is going to make it tough. Maybe a greige or brown grey (French grey) instead of off-white? And less yellow bamboo flooring--maybe more driftwood or middle tone brown?
April 17, 2014 at 3:37pm   
Fave winter recipe?
What is your go-to meal when the weather gets as chilly?...
6x6 Bath
I'm planning a very small bath! It will not have a...
Should girls have less pink in their bedrooms/lives?
I am trying to decide whether to paint my young daughter's...
Opinions on first floor of home
At the last stage of purchasing home, 4 bedroom, three...
Pink trim or stop now?
I am decorating my 7 year old daughters 1st room as...