New ideas for built in's, TV and/or fireplace with Matel
Brett Detken
We recently bought this house. I need ideas of how to utilize the cut out (alcove) space at the end of the room. It's 112 inches wide. I was thinking electric fireplace with mantel, and my 60 inch TV over...other ideas? I feel like a small mantel will get lost...built ins? how??? Plus the sides that come out are small.....Help!!!!! I am taking down the curtains and lights BTW...
pphlelps
Is this a old post?
0 Likes   April 15, 2014 at 6:51PM
Brett Detken
no, I just posted today.
0 Likes   April 15, 2014 at 7:03PM
pphlelps
The photo date said 2005. I was not sure. Nice space. I am assuming it is a family room that connects to the kitchen.
0 Likes   April 15, 2014 at 7:08PM
Magdalena Bogart Interiors
How would this room be used by how many people? Which spaces are adjacent? It looks like there is the entry to your home?
0 Likes   April 15, 2014 at 7:25PM
Brett Detken
Yes it's a family room. The kitchen is where the tile starts. I was wanting this room to be a family lounge TV room. I am wanting to do something on the end wall that has the 112 inch cut out area. A Large Mantel? Built in's? The problem is the dimensions of the cut out....thoughts?
0 Likes   April 15, 2014 at 8:12PM
No built ins. Fireplace all the way across. You could even go with a bigger TV, if you wanted. Consider replacing the flooring with a continuous surface.
0 Likes   April 15, 2014 at 8:35PM
Brett Detken
Thinking something more with a mantel. Other thoughts? Also, how did you do that above? A specific program? Photoshop? It's cool!!!
0 Likes   April 15, 2014 at 8:47PM
Polished concrete; whitewashed wood:
0 Likes   April 15, 2014 at 9:00PM
Photoshop Elements. Why do you want a mantel?
0 Likes   April 15, 2014 at 9:01PM
Brett Detken
Like the more casual/traditional look. Plus I love mantels for the kids things like stockings, etc...Seriously.....That is amazing! So, any other ideas?
0 Likes   April 15, 2014 at 9:20PM
Have a custom cabinet built to your specs and stick a fireplace in it?
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 5:17AM
Sorry. That one would look better with an oak floor.
2 Likes   Thanked by Brett Detken    April 16, 2014 at 5:19AM
pphlelps
What is on the wall to the right? It would be cool to put a sectional starting in the alcove and continuing past the windows on the left. You could still have floating shelves above the sectional in the alcove. Start an art display. But the tv placement is still in question.
0 Likes   Thanked by Brett Detken    April 16, 2014 at 6:48PM
Magdalena Bogart Interiors
Regarding wood fireplace: In California there needs to be a minimum of 12 " non -combustible material around the openingper code.
0 Likes   Thanked by Brett Detken    April 16, 2014 at 7:52PM
Brett Detken
Great tip!
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 8:04PM
Brett Detken
What does everyone think about the built in's on the small walls next to the alcove? with just a mantel/fireplace in the center?
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 8:05PM
Built ins on the small walls will protrude much further than the mantel which I assume would be flush with the walls. I think it will look awkward. If you're going to do that, why even do built ins? Stick a couple of bookcases on each little wall and call it a day.
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 8:29PM
happyleg
I hate tv's over fp. The focal point is not the tv. You can't have both.
1 Like   April 16, 2014 at 8:38PM
happyleg
Do a corner fp instead.
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 8:39PM
glitznglamme
Congrats on your new home, that is very exciting. Looking at your wall I picture ledger stone going in that inset, full height at 112" across. You could do the fireplace tv idea, however I think that trend is losing its appeal. You will hear people complaining that their necks hurt from looking up at the tv. Look at the first photo with both tv and fireplace, imagine sitting down and looking up at the tv, it makes my neck hurt just thinking about it...lol!

I like the idea of the last photo attached that shows the fireplace at a low height,and shelving mounted to the ledger stone. I would consider that look, but instead of the fireplace mount your tv at that nice comfortable height. Your 60" tv will still give you 2ft. On either side, I think that would look great. The ledger stone will give you a nice focal wall. If it is in your budget I would even consider adding accent lights above to highlight the wall like photo number one.
0 Likes   Thanked by Brett Detken    April 16, 2014 at 9:27PM
studio10001
Your bank of windows provides a very strong horizontal line. I like the idea of a fireplace that spans the opening, but If you are planning on a built in look, rather than wrapping that heavy line across the back wall, consider breaking it up and staggering a wall mounted fireplace and TV, as opposed to stacking them. The side walls would then be left free for accenting artwork and supplemental lighting, and the area would have a lighter feel.
]
1 Like   Thanked by Brett Detken    April 16, 2014 at 9:54PM
Who built and/or designed this home? Thankyou
Hello, I do understand these photos relate to the Designer...
houscom
Make and/or model of wall mounted tv?
Wondering the make/model of the wall mounted tv. I...
janet11460
HELP! What would you do in this kitchen?
we are looking at redoing our kitchen. we want new...
crioux13
Bathroom emergency
I live in a cabin and the walls and ceiling are knotted...
woggie2
Color for small bathroom!
Please! I am desperate for advice on a bathroom color....
Pamela Theofilopoulos
What do people think of low divide sinks. Elkay makes one
What do people think of low divide sinks like Elkay...
paulabrennan
Closet door help, please!
We need help figuring out what to do for the under...
Amanda