Dark Stone Mosaic: Leave it or paint it?
merylsr
What on earth should I do with this random backsplash that the previous owners installed? We recently bought our home and I did a quick fix paint job on the cabinets and backsplash until we actually get around to a real remodel. I just couldn't stand our kitchen any longer, and I think you can see why. Horrible use of chalkboard paint. The upper cabinets are now bright white, the lowers are charcoal grey, and the backsplash is a very washed out, just barely mint green.

The backsplash behind the stove is a dark graphite mosaic stone. It is dark and does not show dirt or grime. However, it is impossible to clean because of the texture and variation of the mosaics. I know it has never been cleaned and it kind of grosses me out. Aesthetically, I really don't like the stuff but I don't inherently hate it. I do feel like it is a black hole sucking up light out of the kitchen. Is it as much of an eyesore as I think it is? Should I live with it or paint it? And if I do paint it then what color?
sstarr
I'd chip it off the wall.
April 15, 2014 at 6:23PM        Thanked by merylsr
Sabrina Ballard
I agree, I say it has to go.
April 15, 2014 at 6:25PM        Thanked by merylsr
doctornancy
It's gotta go. What were they thinking?!
April 15, 2014 at 6:30PM        Thanked by merylsr
Addison Design
Yeah like they said
April 15, 2014 at 6:42PM      Thanked by merylsr
Remove and replace with one of those peel-and-stick backsplashes till you get around to remodeling. Smart Tiles even have a stainless version: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smart-Tiles-10-in-x-10-63-in-Peel-and-Stick-Stainless-Mosaic-Decorative-Wall-Tile-SM1033-1/100599047?N=5yc1vZbcszZ3wr
April 15, 2014 at 6:56PM      Thanked by merylsr
merylsr
Thanks! I am glad I'm not the only one who is wondering "what on earth they were thinking?!" @groveraxle Great idea with the peel and stick as a temporary solution. I am worried the drywall will be completely destroyed when taking the tiles off. With a peel and stick I don't have to worry about it being level to re-tile.
April 15, 2014 at 7:28PM   
Christina Brine
Noooo! Those tiles are $$$! Plus... all you need to do is paint the cabinets and backsplash grey... and maybe cover your backsplash with sheet glass... very easy... you can go to a glass place... have them measure your backsplash... they cut and sand the edges... as well as cut around the outlets... then you paint the inside of the glass... I suggest grey. They glue the glass to your wall and then clear caulk it to the countertop. It only looks expensive. The shine will bounce light into the room... so don't worry about grey being too dark. Grey is calm and elegant in a kitchen... plus it never looks grungy the way white can on a... grey... day :) Try Martha Stewart paint color "Ocean Floor" It has cool and warm tones... plus it has a hidden green under tone... which makes fruit, potatoes, even Campbell soup cans look like a work of art. The messier your kitchen is... the better it looks... no kidding. I used to sell kitchen refacing... and originally hated the color. So I made a point of pulling out the cabinet door in every house I visited. Surprise, surprise... it was gorgeous in some kitchens... you have one of those kitchens. The color also looks great with natural woods... darker toned woods... yummy. Fabulous with stainless steel too. She also has another gray... softer... that makes stainless steel look elegant... "Sharkey Gray: Either way... the sleek glass will make a gorgeous contrast to the bumpy stone tiles. Plus... the light & shadows off of both will be divine. Good luck!
April 16, 2014 at 9:06PM        Thanked by merylsr
Christina Brine
P.S. if you are getting splatters on your tile... then you may want to buy an inexpensive splatter screen... fits on any pot. I use mine all the time because I am lazy :)
April 16, 2014 at 9:08PM      Thanked by merylsr
Christina Brine
Peel and stick... hmmm... you just moved in... the stick on tiles will still look lumpy... take a moment before ripping up your drywall. If you don't want to use a splatter screen... consider clear tempered glass over the tile. Tempered... is heat resistant and super strong. There are ways to hold the glass in place... not exactly hooks... but the people at any glass place can help you with ideas.
April 16, 2014 at 9:13PM      Thanked by merylsr
happyleg
Backsplash glass tile or get silver tin. I like one door chalk board paint, fun for cooking,receipes. Paint cabinets & above white,prime first.
April 16, 2014 at 9:16PM      Thanked by merylsr
Tres McKinney Design
Remove the tile over the stove and the stone backsplash behind all the counters and repace with tile of your choice from counter top to upper cabinets. For a quick fix - remove the tile over the stove and appy a piece of frosted glass that would be easy to clean.
April 16, 2014 at 9:33PM        Thanked by merylsr
merylsr
Thank you all for this fabulous advice! I love the look of a painted glass backsplash and that may be perfect for when we do a total overhaul on the entire kitchen. You are keeping my wheels turning and giving me great new ideas and solutions to think about. Keep 'em coming!
April 17, 2014 at 4:39PM   
m3459
You've got this kitchen looking so clean and fresh with the new paint, etc., you just have to get rid of that backsplash. Of course, when you take them off, the drywall is going to come with it, so I would have a stainless steel backsplash fabricated for the space until you get around to THE REMODEL. Probably $25-$50 for the stainless. Or, I love the frosted glass idea also. Both of these are easy cleanup--bonus.
April 17, 2014 at 5:39PM        Thanked by merylsr
merylsr
@m3459 Thank you so much! It feels so much fresher and more updated after some paint and new hardware. Those are some great suggestions since I am looking for a temporary and relatively easy solution. I don't want to spend big bucks on something that may get damaged when we completely overhaul the space. I love the idea of the stainless steel or frosted glass, and that they are easy clean up. Thanks!!
April 22, 2014 at 2:55PM   
Construction Guaranteed
Where is that Houzz "Worse Backsplash Material" award. I think we have a new winner.

We like the recommendations of @m3459 as well.

Go with confidence.
April 22, 2014 at 8:00PM        Thanked by merylsr
bevballew
I don't see the backsplash that bad at all. Since it is dirty or grimy get a cleaner like Lysol or any cleaner that is in a spray container. Spray it on. The grime will drip off. Use a spray bathroom cleaner. Don't see the major deal of cleaning. Will be curious to hear other ideas re a change of tile. I think you can work around it for now.
April 22, 2014 at 8:19PM   
merylsr
@bevballew I wish it were that easy! I would love a material that is just wipe-and-go and easy to maintain. That is why I am looking for a cost effective quick fix solution until we get around to a major remodel. It is "raw" stone. It has not been sealed or finished in any way. So any grease that splatters gets "absorbed" into the stone and does not wipe off. The pieces of stone are minuscule and are at different intervals creating hundreds of tiny crevices that I have to individually scrub out. It is time consuming, impractical, and not an easy cleaning endeavor.
April 24, 2014 at 11:53AM   
Leona Malone
Don't remove the stonework just get a piece of brushed stainless steel fabricated to go on top of that eyesore. That would be so easy to clean.
April 24, 2014 at 12:17PM        Thanked by merylsr
merylsr
@Leona Malone Even better idea to just pop it right over the backsplash. No demo!
April 25, 2014 at 7:50AM   
Leona Malone
@Merylsr..." NO demo" is an easy demo!...LOL
April 25, 2014 at 10:21AM        Thanked by merylsr
bevballew
I figured that might be the case. I just picking a good strong cleaner and everything would drip but I have not experienced such a dilemma. Covering it might be good if you don't like until you redo the kitchen.
April 25, 2014 at 8:19PM      Thanked by merylsr
4" recessed lights
Looking for some help on the lights we installed. ...
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
Do lamps go w bedroom set
Hi would these lamps match old Fashioned cherry wood...
Pet memorials in your yard?
We recently lost our pet cat. At the risk of bringing...