Drop ceiling vs bare ceiling
Aaron Xie
April 15, 2014
This is a 9' * 11' bedroom in the basement. We are debating whether to take off the drop ceiling tiles. The height is 7' from floor to the drop ceiling. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aaron Xie
Another concern is there are two drainage pipes that are only 6'4" from the floor. If we take off all the drop ceiling tile, they may appear even lower.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 11:46PM
PRO
GN Builders L.L.C
The pipes are there to stay no matter what, unless you do something with the heating for the first floor to eliminate them. It looks like you don't have anything in the ceiling other than the pipes hanging off of it... you can leave the drop ceiling or you can sheetrock the ceiling instead of using drop ceiling. Pipes will look lower, but since the overall area of the ceiling is larger, it will balance the whole thing out.

As the bedroom goes, if there is no means of escape from that room, other than that window, you should consider installing an egress window to meet the code so nobody gets trapped in that room in-case of fire.

Good luck
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:40AM
jn3344
Perhaps you are thinking that if you remove the drop ceiling you can leave the ceiling open for the illusion of additional height? This is done a lot. Lots of photos of that here.
http://www.houzz.com/unfinished-ceiling

[houzz=
]
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:47AM
Curt D'Onofrio
I wouldn't put a drop ceiling in this particular area. Because then ceiling is at 7'...it's going to 'feel' to low, especially since this area probaly lacks lots of natural light. The drawback is electrical wiring will show, but i would rather than than a low ceiling
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:27AM
groveraxle
Remove the ceiling. Leave utilities exposed. Go with an industrial look.
Cabana with murphy beds down.
Minneapolis Basement
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:20PM
PRO
Sterling Kitchen & Bath
Remove drop ceiling, paint it for a cleaner look, paint the pipes the same color maybe?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:34PM
Patricia Colwell
I would gyproc the ceiling exposed beams are like spider heaver is what we found. These pics are of 2 rooms in our old house with 7' ceilings and they looked great.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:35PM
Aaron Xie
GN builders, would you mind sharing some pics of the Sheetrocked ceiling?

I have the same concern that the pipes will look much lower after taking off the drop ceiling. Would painting both the wood ceiling and the pipes with the same bright (white) colour help to minimize the effect?
    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:44PM
PRO
Minnesota Cabinets, INC
Take them out! A higher ceiling with help make the space feel bigger. We would highly recommend painting the pipes and the ceiling the same color though.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 1:40PM
nukiegirl
Yes take them out and for ideas go into some bars and stores and check theirs out !! I bet you never noticed them before!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 1:44PM
14thstreet
I would not use white paint on the exposed ceiling and pipes - using a darker color will make it recede better (therefore look higher). We did this in our previous basement. We rented a paint sprayer and used a brownish gray color on the ceiling since it complimented the décor of our basement.
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 1:48PM
Aaron Xie
Oh, that reminds me. This is going to be a bedroom, not a bar. Does this change your thought on this?
    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 1:48PM
PRO
GN Builders L.L.C
Here is a few pictures with Sheetrock ceilings to give you an idea.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 2:58PM
groveraxle
I'm going to weigh in again because I feel pretty strongly about this. The beams and underside of the subfloor look really great. I would not paint them at all.

Your drain pipes are what they are. So they look low. To avoid that, you would make the room claustrophobic by making the whole ceiling low? In fact, rather than try to disguise them, I'd consider painting them black or some wild color. Treat them as a feature of the space.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:40PM
Christina Brine
I once lived in a circa 1900's factory... that mfg guns... Colt. The previous tenant painted the ceiling black and the pipes white. The effect was gorgeous. Definitely show the wood ceiling. Awkward is always a better starting point than boring. If you really want to have fun... enhance the pipes with the old trick of optical illusion. Double image... double purpose... put a horizontal mirror on the wall... directly behind the pipe... and possibly another above the pipe... for the entire length of the pipe. the effect is stunning... I kow it is hard to visualize. Paint the pipes a gorgeous color and the walls less exciting... yet coordinated with the pipes. The pipes are now sculptural works of art... because they are no longer 2 pipes... they are now 6 pipes. So cool! Also... added bonus is that the mirrors also give the illusion that the wall is open to another room. And... because mirrors reflect light... you now can have fun with lighting options... mood lighting. Warning... this may become your favorite room in house :). Your friends will be jealous of your pipes!
    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:10PM
PRO
GN Builders L.L.C
This is all beautiful pictures and they all look real nice, especially when you apply a few tricks using software to enhance its appearance.
Let's return to reality, because it is not a good idea to leave raw lumber,i.e. exposed joist, exposed ducts, exposed underside of floor underpayment, etc when creating habitable spaces... raw lumber attracts dust and airborne particles which don't do anybody any good and its hard to clean areas like that, not to mention it destroys the air quality in the room.
Each time when there is any activity upstairs, all the stuff attached to the joist bellow will become airborne and it will land all over the place.
Cover everything up, paint it and call it a day.
Don't paint pipes dark or wild colors, they will stick out like a sore thumb and draw all the attention. Paint it to blend in with the wall or ceiling and make it as less conspicuous as possible... use wall art,etc to catch the eye and nobody will ever know this pipes are there.

Good luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 8:13PM
Aaron Xie
This is how it looks after taking off the drop ceiling tiles.

In the second picture, would you extend the wall up to the ceiling to touch the wood? What do you do at the joint?
    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 12:46PM
Christina Brine
The only negative of the wood being exposed is the noise of foootsteps above. This won't be an issue if the floor above is carpeted. I assume the ceiling is the subfloor... and that room upststairs has a floor ontop of the subfloor. So, I doibt anydust or debri could fall through. Also, dust tends to settle... down with gravity. So dust on this ceiling is the same as dust on any other ceiling. Except with this one... all you need to do is vacuum it once every few years. Definitely do the mirrors... inexpensive and easy to do... gorgeous results!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Aaron Xie    April 18, 2014 at 1:24PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Depends on what look and style you are going for. The industrial look very big now with open ceilings. It's all a matter of taste. I would do a 10 -12 ft ceiling if you decide to,go,that way.
    Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 1:23PM
PRO
Laqfoil Ltd.
We offer three options, any of which might work for you.
One, we can install a single membrane of stretched ceiling across the whole area, with or without removing the tile system first. It can be any of over 280 colours, and high gloss, matte, or satin. It can also be printed with any high resolution image, and/or translucent with lighting in behind it.
Two, we can cover dropped ceiling panels in our stretch ceiling membrane material to give them a whole new look and then pop them into your existing framework. You might want to spray paint the framing for a whole new look.
Three, you can remove the tiles and framing, paint the ceiling if you wish, and then we can hang custom free-floating panels to hide part of the unfinished ceiling while retaining a more open feel.
More ideas and information on our website: http://www.laqfoil.com/
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Aaron Xie    August 6, 2014 at 9:57AM
nramsey1
There are some interesting ideas above. Definitely paint out the ceiling. You could try contrasting the pipes in a different color as previously suggested. If it doesn't work for you paint them to match the ceiling. Black looks good but might be too harsh for you. You cold try a dark brown or charcoal.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 2:11PM