Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinfranz

dried flower arrangement

cinfranz
9 years ago
my husband thinks this dried flower arrangement is ugly and reminds him of something that belongs in an old lady's house in the 70's. I completely disagree - what do you think?

Comments (30)

• Nancy D
    9 years ago
    I agree with your husband, ..sorry. I would go with something more sculptural and not just in the middle but things ( not too many) across the table.
  • tkilgore
    9 years ago
    I don't think the picture is clear enough to judge, but I do know dried arrangements are hard to dust.
  • jn3344
    9 years ago
    Lots of feedback on dried arrangements can be found here:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/dried-flowers-as-decor-dsvw-vd~935004
  • PRO
    Company C
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    in our Company C stores, we have these amazing flower arrangements called Fantasy Flowers. Attached is a picture. you can purchase them through one of our three retail stores! http://www.companyc.com/retail-stores.htm
  • sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    Now should be the time to put out fresh flowers. The dried flowers/arrangements look somewhat Fall-ish anyway. I agree with your husband as well.
  • Snaggy
    9 years ago
    husband !
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    Dried flowers are are a thing of the past and on top of that they were always dust collectors ,take advantage of the fresh flowers they are full of life and happy thoughts :) Happy Easter .
  • PRO
    Boxwood Interiors
    9 years ago
    Get rid of the dried arrangement. Too many other options available.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    I agree with your husband. But there are exceptions. A few dried things newly picked in fall (strawflowers, stattice, Chinese lanterns, lunaria) mixed with nuts, gourds, or pumpkins can be attractive for a few weeks. But then out it all goes. Keeping dried things for years as the bugs eat through them and the dust gathers is just not attractive.

Your taste is your taste, of course. Many of us don't mind being out of step with fashion here and there. If we were all the same and all dedicated followers of fashion, it'd be pretty dull.
  • edithsmom
    9 years ago
    I did have a dried flower arrangement in the 70's; now I am an old lady...and would not have a dried arrangement (except one in the fall, mentioned by apple pie) Please listen to your husband on this one.
  • escolat
    9 years ago
    I agree with apple too...I display dried hydrangeas in vases in the fall/winter because they mimic the natural landscape...the rest of the year deserves live flowers.
  • Stacey
    9 years ago
    Hi, the arrangement really doesn't add anything positive or happy to your beautiful room. How about a big dish garden that you can make? Or maybe a basket with plants and flowers with protective saucer inside. Have fun!
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Why not buy something else, it's fun! Happy shopping!
  • calidesign
    9 years ago
    It's a beautiful dried arrangement - you could use it each fall to display for a month or two. I think a green plant or fresh flowers would bring life to the space and look the best all year.
  • janclairelane
    9 years ago
    I agree with your husband. Sorry
  • kalar058
    9 years ago
    Ugly and dead. Bad fang shui. Replace with asymmetrical colorful live blooms and greenery in same vase. Keep it clean, watered, and replace as it wilts. You'll find yourself smiling more,
  • Raquel Dillett
    9 years ago
    I like your dried arrangement, but agree with hubby! It's spring and it's time to put fresh cut flowers and /or something lively into your lovely room!
  • The big house
    9 years ago
    Go shopping with your husband to find something you both like.
    Unfortunately lovely dried arrangements brown out rather quickly. And they are impossible to dust. Brighter colors would enhance your lovely room.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    The museum technique is to put a nylon stocking over a vacuum hose attachment, then vacuum with very low suction. The damn the torpedoes approach is to pop the whole arrangement in a large paper bag with a cup of salt, and shake it vigorously. Not that I recommend either technique.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Or use feather duster! But outside.
  • A K
    9 years ago
    I have to go with it is time to throw it out. Create something new in silk. Go to Michaels for ideas or bring your container to them to redesign it.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Replace with real!
    Black & Gold Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    No to the dried arrangement … a dust catcher and very dated. Your sofa table is great.
    Driftwood Candelabra · More Info
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    Someone told me dried flowers are bad feng shui. It must be their energy is all dried out....
  • Janie Burton
    9 years ago
    I would replace the dried arrangement which attract so much dust with an updated silk arrangement. The newest silk flowers are beautiful and realistic in appearance. Have a custom one made by an experienced florist or interior designer who can incorporate the colors used in your room into the components of the arrangement and also make it the correct size for your sofa table.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    In keeping with the principles of feng shui, fresh flowers are auspicious and enhance oxygen in a space. Consider the art of Ikebana. This is a very simplistic design approach that can easily be achieved with a few freshly cut flowers. You would place an odd numbers of flowers i.e. 3-5-7 of varying heights, arranged and anchored with a small comb-like tool called a frog. The arrangement is set in a low Ikebana vase half filled with water which lends a peaceful illusion to the design. There you have it. You will enjoy the simplicity of Ikebana as it will harmonize with any design theme. With frequent change of water, Ikebana will last up to 2-3 weeks and can be invited into your decor for daily lifespace revitalization, seasonal change and other special occasions.
    Follow Lifespace Design ideas on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/lifespaceintl/boards/
  • grobby
    9 years ago
    Let that old tired arrangement go and buy yourself something beautiful to put on the sofa table - a beautiful large bowl or piece of pottery. Beautiful room and window.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Did you get it yet? Please send pic.!!!
  • pattikee
    9 years ago
    Your room looks really nice. A pair of lamps a couple of coffee table books and a small live plant would look more updated.