creeserFebruary 29, 2012
We are building a new house. It's in something of a cross shape. We have the hallway running from front to back door and it's 8-1/2' wide. In the center, it widens to 12-1/2' and will be our 'dining hall'. On one side of the dining hall is the kitchen, the other the living room. We are considering running reclaimed barn wood down the hall about 5' up (10' ceilings in hall). Should we run it in the living room as well since it opens off the hall? My concerns are too much wood if we run it, or being chopped up looking if we don't. I had an idea of not running the wood in the living room, but using heavy post and beams in the corners. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Sounds like a fabulous build! I like your second choice -- transitioning the look to the living room through post and beams. My other thought is to ask whether landing the wood throughout your grand hall at the halfway point of 5' will interfere with any art you plan to hang, which would want to fall at eye level? Perhaps stopping at 4' or so would ground the space enough? Would love to see your after shots!
    Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 7:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creeser
Thank you so much for your input. I think I'll take your advice on the height of wood in the hall as well. We had decided on 5' because I wanted a plate rail on the top. If I stood plates on it, I needed it higher to keep things from being knocked off. I was going to put picture rail molding near the ceiling for the artwork. However, thinking about it with your suggestion, I've decided to prop my artwork on the plate rail instead of plates. Thanks for the inspiration!
As for pictures, the house is just dried in, so it'll be a couple of months before we're finished. At least I hope it'll be that fast. We're doing a lot of wood on the ceiling as well with a glass cupola over the dining hall. That's probably going to take more time than what we think. I'll post as soon as I have something to show.
You've been very helpful. Thanks again!
    Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 12:08PM