Don't Let My Dining Room Down!!!!!
lissa31
Hello!
My dining room really wants some help! It has Fantastic potential with great well lit display niches in 3 corners and cut out windows into the passage, it is in the middle of the house and has no exterior walls or windows...BUT why I am here on Houzz is to get help for the BIG Dilemma which is that when we set up house and before we had any vision for the room, (OOPS!) we invested heavily in an extension table stained in a light oak/pine, cream PVC chairs and a lovely antique walnut sideboard. I want to do British Colonial (Indian/West Indies/exotic curios) but i cannot see how to get these chairs, table and sideboard to work together. If I could i would replace the chairs maybe even the table.... last resort though. Fwiw we are considering replacing the carpet, any suggestions welcome. I am thinking maybe a little bit formal with a twist, not afraid of color and detest the predictable! I would really appreciate any help! Pictures, walls, paint, wallpaper, lights, chandeliers ANYTHING!
THANKS!!!!
Jess
lissa31
Sorry here are the pics, thanks
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 10:21PM
Patricia Colwell
Paint a warm grey for sure, also put the extra chairs somewhere else. Drapes in a stripe in silk, I would paint the walls the same color as one of the stripes A beautiful huge vase of fresh flowers on the buffet a great rug under the table. Art work , your choice some greenery in the space , a large palm tree or maybe even 2 and some on the table with a beautiful table runner with the colors from the rug. I think all of these will help make it all work
0 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 7:14AM
lissa31
Thank you so much!! VERY nice inspiration pics, and that rug is gorgeous. Do you know where it comes from? There are no outside windows in the room though, where are you thinking the curtains would go? I love the idea of palm trees. We have a long line of palms along our side boundary, do you think its too much to bring them inside as well? It would be a different type.
1 Like   April 17, 2014 at 4:02PM
Patricia Colwell
The carpet is Turkish silk but I am sure you could find one in an oriental carpet store similar to that one. I think I would hang the drapes on the wall where I thought there were windows, it would give the room some warmth design wise and keep the walls from feeling too bare.
1 Like   April 17, 2014 at 8:19PM
lissa31
Ok thanks. What do you think about hanging the drapes either side of the bi fold doors, I'm new to posting and can't work out how to attach a pic from Houzz but here's a link

What do you think of that..?
0 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 9:00PM
lissa31
These are the bi fold doors where those drapes could go?? As you can see they are right opposite the front doors... FYI I'm considering replacing the carpet with tiles, same style as the terracotta ones but something light (light stone maybe)
So what do you think about the drapes? Too much?
0 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 9:17PM
lissa31
Help everyone please Need some more ideas. YOUR ideas... please i would be so grateful...
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 5:23AM
lissa31
Have i left out something... how does everyone else get loads of responses...?
2 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 5:25AM
lissa31
This pic below to me is British Colonial. For the Dining room i want formal but then with features that save it from being too much so. The only things i really take seriously are serious things. Not formal dining rooms.........
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 5:36AM
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 5:40AM
howellmsue
I would not put curtains around your door. Right now you need color, or if you don't want color you need some texture at least. Do you love the niches? If not, you could hang curtains over them, like they are windows... I think some fabric would help to soften the room. Right now everything looks very much the same.
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 5:41AM
Patricia Colwell
I think the style that you like is a bit over the top anyway so I think it would work you will just have to remember those drapes will have to balanced with something on the opposite wall or they will look odd. If you notice in the pic you sent that there is abuffet and hutch on the opposite wall to balance out those drapes. In your case that bufffet with an amazing mirror above with a huge bouquet of fresh flowers would do the trick. Are you thinking these drapes on the inside of the DR? or where. I am still having a bit of difficulty getting my bearings in this room could you send me a simple floor plan and tell me what those spaces are that I thought were windows, when you do that I can then give you a better idea of where to put certain things and also wallpaper lighting etc.
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 5:42AM
howellmsue
Are you open to changing your flooring and staining your table a darker color? I think both of those things would help tremendously.
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 5:43AM
lissa31
Yes i do really want color and texture. I want to put some great curios in the niches. I agree about the fabric totally. Ideally i would love upholstered chairs but that is way out of the budget with the number of chairs and in Aust everything is just more $. I just don't know what to do about curtains. I would be interested to know why you say that about the curtains around the door?! As i am very clueless! Thank you!
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 5:46AM
Hi just popping in! Your challenge is that you have a windowless dining room. My advice is to go dramatic as Patricia advised.

Add dark walls, but pump up the light.
Create a wall full of gilt mirrors in silver leaf or gold.
You can actually do more than one set of curtains, you could actually do the curtains that frame the doorway but then on each corner and up to the ceiling like some kind of tent -

at this for some ideas http://madaboutinteriors.blogspot.ch/2012/12/antique-drapery-having-started-my-blog.html

You really want some drama in this room as it will need to bring its own light.

Think about a mirror dining room table top and some dramatic chairs as well...
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 5:47AM
lissa31
Oh thank you i replied before i saw all the responses... Patricia yeah i agree over the top is me... i am just stumped at this room and grasping wildly for ideas.. I love the sound of the fresh flowers but I was hoping for something less pricey and minimal maintenance, here in the countrytown fresh flowers are a dreamed of luxury sadly.
I will do up a plan and send tomorrow if that is ok?
Sue, yes absolutely to both. Further up i mentioned we are considering changing the floor to a light tile.... what are your thoughts? Also my #1 dream is really to restain the table... we bought it new and got it stained, it is only 2yrs old. i would still consider it. d
Do you know if restaining is a massive job?
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 5:54AM
lissa31
ASV wow that is really mindBlowing!! i will have to think about that one! Thank you so much for your input! :-)
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 5:55AM
Patricia Colwell
Restaining is a bit of a hassle but can be done by you if you are a little patient and careful. I will wait for the floor plan.
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 5:59AM
mobdiaz
Remove the bifold doors. If you want separation hang drapes at the doorway. For the inside window niches make stained glass inserts. If you cannot afford true stained glass, find an image you like, photocopy it to the right size and paint it on glass or plexiglass.
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 6:00AM
lissa31
Ideally yes, but really need to keep the bifold doors so i can shut the room off and keep my little one out of there. I am really sorry but oh i do not like stained glass! Thank you for your comments
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 6:04AM
anniau
I think the furniture could work to get a British West Indies colonial look but it would take some work and changes. I am picturing dark polished wood floor, dark slightly distressed wood furniture, cane, lighter / whiter upholstery, fans, palms, shutters. More colour more texture. Pretty hard to achieve with an internal room.
The first picture you put up was more European period luxe in my view

Do you use the room in the day time? If it is a night time formal dining room, I would go for a different look with more drama, darker walls, mirrors, some great art, scones and a fabulous central light fitting over the table, not necessarily a glitzy chandelier though.
I wouldn't change the flooring just yet- very hard to get two types of tiles to look good next to each other. Perhaps a large rug to add colour.

The room looks an irregular shape . Can the table be straightened up to line up with the door from the foyer?
It would be good to see some more pictures of what you have in mind - some links to other Houzz rooms.
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 6:06AM
debsurreal
I know how frustrating decorating can be with children in mind as well as other possible limitations, e.g. space, time and money factors. I certainly don't want to sound insensitive. At this point your dining room reminds me of our board room at my corporate office. There are lots of ideas for color but it's actually the table that sort of bugs me. Maybe because it does look like a conference table. A lot of people don't care for tablecloths but maybe ......
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 6:20AM
howellmsue
To hang curtains in the doorway I feel like the doorway should be much larger. I think the scale of curtains hanging in that small doorway would be off with the room. You could hang them on the inside of the dining room and hang them above the doorway and out to the side to get the impression of a much larger opening. ?
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 6:24AM
lissa31
Thank you all for your input, it is so kind of you. This room has really got me beat so it is awesome to be getting everyones advice.
Annui, yep that's my dream room you described! Unfortunately i am basically stuck with the table and chairs for now as budget is a factor. May be able to stain the table... will see. That first pic was just to show the curtain idea by the way.

The room is used at night as a dining room but if we entertain in the day (weekends) we use the table to serve buffet style. I like the idea of a dark wall... but i need to get the colours clearer first i think.

I LOVED Patricia's original rug/curtain/colour suggestions but don't have windows hence the doorway curtains idea.

The room is an irregular shape. I've sketched a plam but my scanner is down now. I wish i could line the table up differently. Actually i probably could for most of the time, across the doorway, as it's only when it's extended to seat 16 that it has to be diagonal. That would help first impressions from the door hey?

Flooring... ooh i do want to change it, it gets another food stain nearly every time we entertain and so time consuming to clean.. with my toddler 'helping'! That's why i want to get rid of light carpet.
Thanks again
I will post more pics of rooms i love, again may be a bit over the top!
1 Like   April 18, 2014 at 6:48AM
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 6:54AM
lissa31
And this one has the two tiles next to each other.......

]
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 6:56AM
lissa31
Hey Debsurreal, thanks i was just looking at your post. I just dont think a table cloth is the answer for me... but you may have planted a seed who knows! Oh yeah the table colour is my big regret, i chose the stain under pressure and against my better judgment as i really wanted a dark colour all along... :-( Oh well we can't have everything hey.
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 7:06AM
lissa31
Patricia, you mentioned that in the pic there is a buffet and hutch, sorry can you clarify what the hutch is as over here its what we would put pet hamsters in?! Or do you really mean the cage in the pic??!
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 7:11AM
anniau
I think the next starting point is the budget. How much is realistic to spend? And what can you get the most impact from to get the look you want?
If you want an over the top, glamorous night time dining room, can you just go for it in this room. And keep those doors to keep the kids out.
You will get major impact from painting.
Yes try straightening up the table. Settle on one position for it so you can have a light fitting over it.
You have excellent quality looking furniture. Staining it darker is possible but it would need to be done very well and would cost.
I personally would not go for curtains here but the silky striped fabric was lovely and brought in colour and light.
I would not serve food buffet style in this room with carpet for your day time entertaining. It's inevitable there will be spills with lots of people and kids around. Try a folding table /s you can put up when needed in a more casual area. Eg Bunnings for around $50. If that won't work, the patterned rugs others have suggested for under the table can be cleaned and will hide stains.
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 12:32PM
Patricia Colwell
A hutch is where you keep dishes and glassware usually above a buffet. I like the idea of maybe travertine floors, I will wait until your scanner is working.
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 1:26PM
lissa31
Here is the sketch not true to scale
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 4:09PM
mcbmd3
I think that you could get by with what you already own by wise choices in finishing the room. For starters, do you have any inspiration pictures to guide you? If not, get some together.
Then I would buy a pair of "stick" lamps for the buffet, obviously one at each end. A mirror or a piece of artwork above the buffet, paying attention to its scale. Then a chandelier in a style consistent with your vision. Your room seems spacious; could you rearrange the chairs somehow, as mentioned above? Perhaps you can have the table refinished to a dark tone, too. Good luck!
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 4:28PM
lissa31
Heeey! Groveraxle how did i miss your pic! Sorry. Thank you! That is really neat. I had never ever thought of putting the buffet there. I have to go out now so i can't check all those items but will later. I think today will be moving day for trying out all sorts of combinations, including your buffet one of course. i have been very inspired! Will post pics in due course. Thank you again
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 5:11PM
lissa31
mcbmd3 thank you for your wise words, yes i do have some inspiration pics (above) but trying to work out what i really want and what will work is the tricky part. I like the idea of the lamps. Like below? But i really need to work on the basics first and do the smaller things later.
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 9:13PM
lissa31
NEWSFLASH! I just bit the bullet and I'm getting a quote to have the table re-stained. Meanwhile, stand by for pics of some furniture shifts
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 9:23PM
lissa31
So what does everyone think of the new table position? Improvement?
First two pics have some decor borrowed from another room.
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 10:06PM
Patricia Colwell
When you put palms in there they will need to be BIG and in the corners, I agree with grover they will probably need to be silk . I think the buffet facing the door is nice as you see that as soon as you enter. I don't like the table angled the style you like has some formality to it and I think that is an important part of the look you want. I would run the table in the center of the room running in the same direction as the buffet. A huge ornate mirror above the buffet . I still think the drapes hung on the inside of the doorway would be great and I am still leaning toward drapes on the wall where the 2 large niches are. This pic shows how you could hang the drapes and still put something art wise on the wall and in the niches. I would light them for sure maybe even with mirror on the back part to give the illusion of windows. As for lighting above table I would go with 2 chandaliers for such a large table. I like the idea of the lamps on the buffet you will just have to be careful of scale because the buffet is not very large and the space is. I would hang the mirror first and then decide on lamps Do you have other lighting in this room besides the chandaliers?Wallpaper is an option for sure in this style one with birds and tropical plants woud be awesome, I would put that on the wall opposite the 2 niches and then paint the rest of the walls the backgroung color of the wallpaper. Okay I am out of ideas for now.
0 Likes   April 19, 2014 at 8:28AM
lissa31
You sure know how to hit the nail on the head Patricia, Thank you so much for all your ideas,tips and pics, I love them!

Actually the table IS running parallel to the buffet, that was meant to be the big change!! Sorry, my trick photography I guess. It does look much better than diagonal as you say. It's a shame the tall backed chairs hide the full effect of the buffet.

Two chandeliers is def the answer as we can probably place one for max impact from the entry whereas one chand was barely going to be visible.

Currently all the lighting is downlights including niches, see pic below. The Coke is to help show scale. It's a 2 Litre.

Doorway drapes... Yeah i want to hang them inside but be able to bring them thru to the outside of the room as in the pic i've reposted here.... I just don't think it is possible though with the doors. [houzz=
] What do you think? Should i just get rid of the doors........ Hang the drapes on the outside? Or forget it... I have put in a pic of the doors.

i really don't think I'll do is the drapes over the niches, not completely ruled out but...

So the priority now I guess i need to decide about drapes and wallpaper... we are going shopping this week to the city so will look for chandeliers, mirror, artwork. Do you think i should be making anything else a priority to decide on?
Thanks again, I should mention I am pretty gobsmacked and impressed at the help I am getting from complete strangers, absolutely amazing! Thank you all
0 Likes   April 19, 2014 at 3:29PM
Forget the drapes. You won't get the effect you want and you'll be sorry you spent big bucks on them.

Invest in a wood floor and rug instead.
1 Like   April 19, 2014 at 4:50PM
Patricia Colwell
I don't agree but I still think there has to drapery on that other wall for some balance and luxe feeling in the space, which is what she is going for.
0 Likes   April 19, 2014 at 8:06PM
Patricia Colwell
I think if you want that look with the drapes the doors should come off. Your little person will just have to learn it is a special place and off limits the rest of the time. These are a couple of wallpapers I like the one with the large plants would be my favorite but I think if I did that one I might be inclined to go with the walls painted the background pale gray with the gold color silk drapery very full and a bit of a puddle for elegance. If you went with the other wallpaper I would still use the gray in the background but then pale blue sil drapes, a totally different look. Botanical prints are very British Colonial and they could be hung in the niches with candle holders and other decor in front The company that has the wallpaper is Betanny Linz she is in Australia. The green wallpaper is called The Great Shalimar. The other one is on her site too, I don't know the name. Staining the table dark will make this so much easier to come together. Find 2 chandaliers you love , make sure they are not too small and for a rug instead of ordering a hugely expensive carpet go to a place that sells commercial carpet and have a very large one cut and bound on the edges you can even have fringe if you want.
1 Like   April 20, 2014 at 7:19AM
lissa31
Patricia that is uncanny... my husband and I both saw that wallpaper in a shop recently, stopped turned to each other in unison and said Hey I love that! I will ask if they can post me a sample. Which wall would you wall paper, I am thinking the one to the left of the doors? you wouldn't see it till you walked in.
My main worry about taking the doors off is that the drapes would get dirty with us walking past, i guess i can protect them by looping them up somehow though.
That carpet idea is excellent, no rugs are big enough it would be exorbitant for a persian rug.
This week i am hitting the shops and online so will come back hopefully with some great finds. Thanks Again
0 Likes   April 20, 2014 at 5:27PM
Patricia Colwell
Yes on that wall, that is the one next to the one with the buffet right. Maybe inside the niches on the opposite wall too. Maybe just use some decorative tie backs for the drapes so they are more away from the traffic when you are not entertaining. If you use the wallpaper in the niches make sure you hang it so the pattern is centered, same on that wall.
0 Likes   April 20, 2014 at 6:19PM
lissa31
This is my pic of it at Ikea. The colours seem softer and better in your pic do you think?
0 Likes   April 20, 2014 at 6:58PM
Patricia Colwell
I see what you mean even on Ikea's web site the color looks different. I would order samples from both suppliers, Bethanny Linz is in AU too. Better to get the one you love because the whole decor will hinge on that wallpaper.
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 5:49AM
lissa31
Major change of direction............. I had a sleepless night. I went looking at chandeliers yesterday. All night a niggling thought kept bugging me. Finally I realised that a formal dining is going to look very wrong in our house. You see, the exterior & outside entry is almost a bit Mexican, See my pics. Cactus and coloured tiles.. then you would enter and see silk curtains and a sparkling chandelier... Uh oh, that just isn't sitting right with me.

So right now i am thinking about this pic [houzz=
]

It has the big palm...
Rug is fantastic
Interesting big cat statue... (on buffet)
Botanical type prints for niches

Plus other thoughts from Houzzers on here
A large picture...
A huge mirror
Bring in some texture and colour with table runners and drapes? The cushions in the pic are lovely
Ornaments to bring in some more colour and interest

And bell pendants over the table
Flowers as on coffee table but would have to be very good fake ones...

So... any thoughts anyone???
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 6:12PM
Maybe you should post a pic of your home's exterior as a new starting place.
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 7:02PM
So maybe this is your room:
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 7:37PM
You must have alebrijes in your niches then:
1 Like   April 21, 2014 at 8:54PM
I know that photo is in your ideabook. That's where I got it.
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 8:55PM
lissa31
Oh ok
That turtle sure goes with the coloured tiles but i really don't want to go that direction, to be honest i hate those coloured tiles. I wish i could rip them out and the cactus too! Thank you for your thoughts, i really appreciate everyone's great input.
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 9:29PM
lissa31
I guess I should have made it clearer in my 'change of direction' post that i don't want to pick up on the Mexican theme in any way. Just acknowledging it is there. If anyone can suggest a way of painting them something neutral let me know.
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 10:35PM
Patricia Colwell
Okay so off we go. How about taking the drapes off the doorway and replacing the louvered doors with glass doors , use the wallpaper and the botanical prints, how about a big globe on the buffet still keep the palm trees and get an awesome rug bound with fringe . If you are going with bell lights that I think of as bell I would go with 3. On the table a runner the same color as the gold in the wallpaper. Get a stunning silk flower arrangement made to order. As for the colored tiles outside , which to me is the only thing that screams Mexican , there is a product you can use to cover them and make them look completely different, check at you Home Depot type store. This house reminds me a lot of the houses in Florida that were a cross between Spanish and art deco. As for drapery I still think that the only place to put some panels would be on the inside if the room on either side of the door, something light and airy instead of so formal. The rug could pick up the grey greens from the wallpaper with a subtle pattern, The niches are where i would bring in some color both with the botanical prints and some decor pieces that look like you collected them from all over the world. It will take some patience to do this so just buy things that catch your eye and slowly add them. The mirror which should look like you picked it up in Morocco or someplace exotic hung above the buffet, the globe on there some travels books stacked a lamp on one side to balance the globe. Wherever you decide to put the drapes I would choose a fabic that looks like if there was a breeze they would flutter.
0 Likes   Thanked by lissa31    April 22, 2014 at 7:10AM
Patricia Colwell
Put the botanical prints in the 2 matching niches and paint the wall behind them in the vibrant color in each print. These are just a couple of ideas. Drapes on that wall beside the doorway to treat those interior windows like real ones. I would use the red and purple from the prints to make up at least part of the centerpiece on the table. This carpet would work with a sagey fringe This is available in AU from a company called Interface. I think I might make the corner niche into a wine storage with glass doors in the same stain as the table.
0 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 9:25AM
lissa31
Thank you! I actually took a pic of a globe yesterday it was so neat, main colour of it was green! Prob too green though. Glass doors crossed my mind at one point but i had forgotten so thanks a ton for that. I want to do a couple animal type prints something like attached, are these called botanical prints? Prob not...
The table restain idea has fallen flat for now as the guy says its too big a job.
Can you suggest any pics of the drapes you have in your mind?
You don't think the rug in the pic would work?
0 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 9:43AM
Patricia Colwell
See if someone carries Dorthy Draper wallpapers in your area these seem to have more of an all over design instead of strips of pattern , also a little nice color I think.
0 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 9:45AM
lissa31
It looks to me like Interface do carpet tiles or have i missed something?
0 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 9:48AM
Patricia Colwell
You mean the black and white, I don't think so too much contrast without any real white in the space. I like DRs to have a relaxing feel without any crazy stuff going on. Maybe the the glass door and the wine rack door the same color as the table to draw that in.I like the picture but again not much color, you could do the idea I had for the niches and then put these in front on small easels for depth and then add some other things, even seashells with the turtles would look good. his is the kinf of fabric I am thinking maybe not so ornate at the top but soft and almost sheer the color will depend on the other things you choose, I still really like the wallpaper and I sent some info about another type.
0 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 9:54AM
Urban Elements Interior Space
Have you considered adding floor to ceiling mirrors? Gorgeous and a great way to open the space!
0 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 11:10AM
Patricia Colwell
You coiuld be right about the carpet tiles, I guess the good thing about that is if one gets gross you can replace it. I still like the pattern in thet TILE. By yhe way I think your space is plenty big as is.
0 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 12:31PM
White or Biscuit? please comment
I've read earlier posts on this subject (white is classic...
buddyshower
Need help with bathroom wall color
We just redid our bathroom and don't know what color...
bspearson
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Scavenger hunt
Can ANYONE tell me where to find this door? I have...
redchilihothots
need helps for my plain living room!
it is kind of plain. any suggestions?
James Heaps_Nelson