What type of ceiling is this? Groin vault? Cove?
sarainitaly
Anyone have any idea what that would be called? I am trying to figure out lighting ideas, and have no idea what you would call the ceiling. Thanks!
sarainitaly
Any ideas on how to light it?
April 17, 2014 at 10:32am   
Jessica
Whatever it is it is beautiful. Not sure what the proper terminology is but I'm bumping this in case someone does know.
April 17, 2014 at 11:38am        Thanked by sarainitaly
HI -- The arches are Moorish so maybe that would describe the style for you . but they may be called something else in Italy . Very beautiful .... lucky you !!
April 17, 2014 at 11:47am      Thanked by sarainitaly
sarainitaly
Thanks! I was trying to figure out the name, so I could google and search for unique lighting options. It's not really a vaulted ceiling, and those search results just weren't doing it! I am SO anxious and excited to move in. Start breaking the bathrooms and moving some door ways next week. FINALLY!
April 17, 2014 at 12:14pm   
HI -- Sara -- hope you keep posting your progress --- would love to follow along !!
April 17, 2014 at 12:44pm      Thanked by sarainitaly
sarainitaly
OK, will do! :O)
April 17, 2014 at 12:51pm   
howellmsue
The pointed arch originated in Gothic Architecture. It would be considered a ribbed vault if the middle of the ceiling came to a point and the sides came out from that central point....it doesn't look like the center of the ceiling comes to a point. Super cool ceiling.
April 17, 2014 at 6:40pm        Thanked by sarainitaly
kookabura1
Assuming that you are in Italy I would suggest that your ceiling is Italian Gothic. With respect to lefty47 a Moorish arch is rounded and would be rather unusual in Italy. The Moors were much more influential in Spain, no surprise given geography. Sara, what is the age of this building?
So glad you have the chance to live in Italy. I swear it's the loveliest country in the world. Crazy, beautiful, magical!
April 17, 2014 at 6:47pm        Thanked by sarainitaly
happyleg
Spot light all four corners.
April 17, 2014 at 7:02pm      Thanked by sarainitaly
sarainitaly
That sounds like it! Thank you!

It is, I believe the house is from the 1700's. It has been in my husbands family, once belonging to great grandparents (not sure how far back), and his aunt currently owned it. We bought it/traded our house with her.

Super excited to have a yard, fireplace, 2 baths, and double the space! We had the *brilliant* idea of putting heating under the flooring, which then caused us to have to raise all the outlets, doors, etc. With walls a foot thick, made from cement and rocks, it's not so easy! Despite that, I think it was the best idea, that way we get rid of all the heaters!! And we will have lovely floors throughout. And it requires us to redo the bathrooms. evil laugh.

Check out the thickness on the wall between living room and family room! We would love to raise the doorway, but just don't want to risk running into some major problems... The house has been remodeled over the years, doors and walls added and opened and closed, so the flow in a couple places could be better, and the shape of the rooms are all a little wonky, but not bad enough to battle those walls... And like I said, it is double the space where we are now, so I am one happy camper!

My brother in law had a cool idea of lighting each arch but every time he mentions a great idea I hear *cha ching*. We just don't want to break all the walls around the fireplace to put in individual spots. I have been trying to see what kind of options are available for lighting up the ceiling, without breaking walls. Cables? Spots? Up-down lights? Tracks...

Looking at the ceiling pics again, it actually looks like there is a slight ribbing, and it is not flat in the recessed rectangle. I will have to give it a good look when I go down again.

Sorry for rambling. Thanks for the suggestions, tips!
April 18, 2014 at 2:19am   
What a great place. A feature I have often seen is uplighting a corner of an arch - the light travels with it up to the point and is stunning. As you wander about Italy you will see this effect in a number of buildings. Perhaps it is possible to do this in your rooms.

I know you have just done the floors, but you might consider placing a return just below the start of the arches and hiding your spotlights in there... This will mean a 'cornice' like structure...
April 18, 2014 at 3:16am        Thanked by sarainitaly
sarainitaly
We haven't done the floors yet. The grey/white is still there, and the other rooms have a lovely cherry color wood that we sadly are covering. The lighter wood is my lame photoshop job.

"placing a return just below the start of the arches and hiding your spotlights in there... This will mean a 'cornice' like structure..."

Do you mean like a crown molding ledge kind of thing? (love my technical lingo?) I was wondering if something like that would look nice, and then you could run wiring around the edge? I am not sure if that is what you mean, since you said something about the floors...
April 18, 2014 at 3:24am     
sarainitaly
I googled "return cornice lighting" and saw these types of things. Is that what you meant? I like that idea. Would you suggest following the curvature, or going straight across? Higher or lower where the existing lights are? I think I need to do some more photoshopping! That would definitely be easier than breaking walls... Thank you!
April 18, 2014 at 3:31am     
That is exactly what I meant. You go straight across but the light will follow the curves of the arch. It is like sound, light travels along the surface... I will see if I can find some examples for you!
April 18, 2014 at 3:42am      Thanked by sarainitaly
Okay this illustrates how light travels up the arch... Hope that helps
April 18, 2014 at 3:47am      Thanked by sarainitaly
sarainitaly
very pretty. i will do some ps'ing, and show you what i come up with! thank you!
April 18, 2014 at 4:47am   
Diane Kehn
Wow! Looks interesting. I love unique structures and wall/ceiling designs. Unfortunately, I'm not very creative and that's why I'm on this app. but when I do give my input, it's because "I've been there" and finally resolved the dilemma.
April 18, 2014 at 5:17am     
sarainitaly
OK, playing around with the idea... Hard to duplicate the individual lights look for me, but I can at least get an idea. Not sure if that would look better or just doing up down lights...? my ps skills don't fully capture how nice it could possibly look, perhaps. haha
April 18, 2014 at 7:25am     
Hi Sara - yup!!! now is the time to go in with a flashlight and a step ladder and literally point it up the arches. (Or better get hubby to do so while you take photos!) :-)
April 18, 2014 at 7:30am        Thanked by sarainitaly
sarainitaly
there ya go! Great idea. :O) Next week husband is on vaca, he will be busy!
April 18, 2014 at 7:36am   
happyleg
Awsome!!
April 18, 2014 at 3:16pm      Thanked by sarainitaly
fissfiss
If you decide that replacing the existing sconces is the economical thing to do, www.hubbardtonforge.com has really nice wall sconces. Good for ideas, not suggesting you have them shipped to Italy!
April 18, 2014 at 4:52pm      Thanked by sarainitaly
sarainitaly
Those sconces are already gone! Thanks for the link!
April 19, 2014 at 3:17am   
rosecottagehome
What a beautiful room. LOVE those ceilings. LED strip lighting, one strip plugs into the next one, this may work. The strips stick on and are really thin, so they would be concealed behind the cornice you have at the top of the wall and shoot the light up. They are hard wired and come with a transformer plug in to convert the voltage. Best to get an electrician for this if you go with LED strips. You can have them turned on and left on all evening and LED is easier on the electric bill and are supposed to last for years and years, if not a decade or more. I have it on top of my kitchen cupboards and below. We have high cathedral ceilings and they do a great job illuminating the height nicely. It illuminates a cool light. Please keep us posted on your home's projects, it has such great architectural character. Welcome to Houzz, BTW : ))
April 19, 2014 at 3:54am      Thanked by sarainitaly
sarainitaly
Thank you! I am planning on using the led strips to make tall thin mirrored medicine cabinets back lit, for the bathroom. Also under kitchen cabinets. They have so many new amazing led features now. I thought about doing them under the base cabinets too, but wondered if they would just highlight every single speck of dust on the floor...? I saw that feature, used as kind of a night light. Never thought about above the upper cabinets. I might just do that! :O) My husband just nixed the cornice idea. He doesn't like it. Thinks it breaks up the wall.
April 19, 2014 at 4:30am     
rosecottagehome
What is the finishing strip you already have there on the top of the wall? Could the LED strips work behind that?
April 19, 2014 at 4:40am   
sarainitaly
Photoshop. The room currently looks like this, sans lighting. we've already ripped those out.
April 19, 2014 at 4:51am   
sarainitaly
The muratore comes Tuesday to start raising the plugs, moving the bathroom door, ripping down all the tiles, removing all the bathrooms fixtures, removing the face on the fireplace, etc.
April 19, 2014 at 4:54am   
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Need help for new exterior paint color
My husband built this A Frame in the 70's and we are...
what would you suggest for this kitchen !! :)
Would you tear out the left side pantry or paint? ...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...