Exterior cladding
Urban Renewable
I am trying to choose exterior cladding options, color and windows for a micro-loft unit in a northern climate. Low maintenance is required and I would prefer to stick with metal and wood. For the wood, I am thinking "Lifetime" or a stain, no paint. The elevation shown is the south facing side. The opposite side will not get much light or opportunity to dry out, however it faces several single family residences which are mostly clad with painted cedar shakes. The lofts are 12x30x24 with a roof top deck. Any input is appreciated, thanks.
apple_pie_order
Photos of the neighborhood would be useful.
April 17, 2014 at 8:22AM   
Urban Renewable
The address is 2374 & 2368 Hunter Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, google map is probably the best solution. It is an infill housing project located behind two duplexes.
April 17, 2014 at 8:47AM   
apple_pie_order
Interesting project. The location is too far north for any experience I have with siding and windows to be appropriate. You might try reposting with a different subject heading such as "Exterior cladding and window options for Nova Scotia?"
April 17, 2014 at 9:18AM      Thanked by Urban Renewable
Metal or stucco would provide a more contemporary feel.
April 17, 2014 at 3:48PM   
Gravitas, Inc.
Maintenance free means metal to me. I don't get the impression from flying the street in google that you have any restrictions. Search "western rib metal siding". That's been one of my favorites lately. You can do it horizontal, vertical, pre painted, or let it rust, and any combination. Maybe some dark greys on the body, then punch a color on the entry.
April 17, 2014 at 3:55PM   
Summit Falls
Hardie makes a smooth panel that can be installed with a metal trim in their commercial line. good looking and economical
April 17, 2014 at 4:23PM   
Murphy Mears Architects
We used the Hardie Panel product with Fry Reglet reveal channels on our Zaguan House project. We were happy with the way it turned out. It was very easy to cut the channels and panels as needed to adjust the overall grid to align with the Architectural elements. We installed the system as a rain-screen, with a secondary drainage plane behind it, and I'm guessing you'd need to consider a similar method if you install it in your locale.
April 17, 2014 at 4:38PM   
decorating shelves
I lit the back of the shelves as well but do not know...
Over the toilet cabinet??? Good or bad design???
Over the toilet cabinet good or bad design? Is it out...
Help - Exposed Brick Gone Wrong
Hello All - Today I finally had the courage to get...
Need to pick paint color by Monday!
Trying to decide on paint color for most of house....
Accent wall color - help please!
So courtesy some minor damage in the condo, we have...