What do you like better?

carlamcguireApril 17, 2014
I would like to get a white bench or glider for the front porch (the wood pile is going away). I am torn between adding a stand with flowers, as shown below or 2 white pots with flowers/boxwoods on either side of the doors.
What do you like better? The pots on either side or one stand, opposite the bench I am getting?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mcbmd3
Since symmetry is predominant on the exterior, I would place two black containers on either side of the front door and put in a large evergreen, whether it's a double ball topiary or a twist topiary, etc.with white or colorful seasonal under plantings. The black containers should be sizable. This would give your entry a sense of importance and glamor. You could choose traditional pots or more modern pots depending upon your taste and the decorating direction you have chosen for the interior. Very pretty home.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 11:43AM
PRO
Thos. Baker
Symmetry can accomplished with plants in this case -- meaning the bench can play a more secondary role in creating the balance you need on your porch. Large pots on either side of the door is one way. The bench on one side with a nice, potted plant next to it and a group of potted plants on the other side of the door will balance the two settings. The balance is created with the size and shape of the plants and in this case, I think they should be relatively large and medium sized pots and plants, which would be more dramatic and effective than the stand. Am posting photos to show examples. Also posting a photo to show mcbmd3's idea of twist topiary plants.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 12:14PM
lefty47
HI -- I could see the stands being on each side of the doors and some big planters in front between the pillars . Maybe have some color instead of thinking black or white ,like maybe a red or copper or bronze . The façade of your house is so large and somewhat bare so you need some things to bring it to life .
1 Like    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 12:21PM
carlamcguire
I made some updates. What do you think? I like the classic look. I'm finally happy with the look of the house. It took 12 yrs! New paint, new colored door (I love the BM Dorset Gold doors), new landscaping, new storm doors, shutters, a bench and new pots/greens.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 1:01PM
carlamcguire
This is the house about a year ago.
    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 1:01PM
bgfuqua
I like your new look.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 1:17PM
PRO
Thos. Baker
Your new look is great -- warm and inviting. Love the yellow door and the love seat rocker adds a lot of charm. The only other suggestion I would make is to add a large pot of overflowing, flowering plants on the opposite side of the porch (from the rocker) for balance and color -- especially yellow blooms that will pop with the front door and brighten the setting even more!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 1:35PM