Looking to update and improve curb appeal, 60s colonial
radiosity
The previous owner did not maintain the siding well and the cost to repair rotting boards/sand/change paint color etc is closing in on the price of new Hardiplank siding and gutters making that decision pretty easy. I am looking for some color combo suggestions that would complement the brick to freshen up the look. I also had considered a straight-edged shingled look above the dentil molding for the upper triangle of siding but no other home in the area has that look so we would probably stand out and look too trendy with that. Should the post/columns be updated in some way or is that character that should stay?
lilion
I'm no expert, but I'll answer if only to bump it back up the thread. I like your house. I really like the gray of the shutters. I'd consider a light gray for the upper. It won't pop, but it would be nice I think. I'd also beef up the posts that hold up the roof and carport. The just look a litle frail for their purpose to me. Hope you get lots of good advice.
1 Like   April 17, 2014 at 11:22AM
The Red Door Team
I would add planters, paint your door a new color other then white, update your landscaping with more flowers .... just a few ideas!
1 Like   April 17, 2014 at 11:33AM
Libbmom
Would consider a straight post....
1 Like   April 17, 2014 at 11:37AM
Denita
Agree with lilion about the posts needed to be beefed up. Also like the idea of straight posts.
1 Like   April 17, 2014 at 11:41AM
flair lighting
the shrub on the left is blocking too much of the front door. remove and plant one closer to drive way or under front window. also add another one under far right window, and expand the bed out around the side walk. if you can widen the walk way that would be great too. the door would look great blue.
9 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 11:43AM
radiosity
The funny thing about the shutters is they were light blue but have sunbleached to gray. The front door is hard to see but light blue as well with a white storm door. I really don't think the storm door is necessary. I will probably remove it.

I tend to agree about the left bush - it does block a lot of the front walkway. It probably was intended to be the height of the right one and was just let go.

How about color suggestions for the house/shutters/trim? Grays are my first choice. anything is better than that yellow in my mind.
   April 17, 2014 at 11:55AM
Urban Elements Interior Space
Have you thought about adding window baskets? Its an easy way to add curb appeal that won't break the bank.
1 Like   April 17, 2014 at 12:03PM
flair lighting
i love the blue and green scales, and gray all would go great with your roof.
8 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 12:07PM
mcbmd3
Definitely replace the posts. Get new, larger house numbers. Update the light fixture at the front door.
As to the siding color, I think grey is a safe choice. Lovely home.
3 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 12:07PM
ZachRemodels
This is an easy one wrap the post with cedar and replace the shutters with cedar give the roof demension with architectural shingles paint the siding one color and facia boards another like trim should be a little land scape and bam your the best looking house on the street
2 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 12:50PM
ZachRemodels
Maybe even paint the front door red it always looks good on a brick house
   April 17, 2014 at 12:58PM
Dar Eckert
Beef up the columns and beams as in the gray photo. The dark and light gray exterior photo is one of my favorite combinations with red brick.

Magnolia Residence 03
Exterior - Front
4 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 1:04PM
radiosity
Dar that first photo was one I really loved and saved today. Hardiplank has a color called Monterrey Taupe that is pretty nice. It's a neutral with a nice balance of gray/tan in it.
Zach - I'll definitely look at wrapping the posts. Those posts sit right at the edge of the concrete though so that may be an issue.
3 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 1:13PM
joshuaheard
Agree you should replace the posts. The color seems fine to me, maybe paint the front door black or other accent color. I would remove the overgrown landscaping and redo both beds with low shrubs and flowers, maybe add a tree in the lawn. If you have the money, convert the carport into a garage.
   April 17, 2014 at 2:13PM
Timberlane Inc.
Hi radiosphere! We have to agree with Zach when it comes to replacing you existing shutters with cedar. Our Premium Wood line of shutters is available in three different types of wood: Western Red Cedar, Spanish Cedar and Mahogany. Cedar is our first choice because of the natural, fine-grained appearance. It is universally regarded as one of the most attractive and durable woods.

We also have to recommend that if you choose to replace your shutters, that you replace them with ones that are properly fitted. Shutters should typically measure out to half the size of the window. In your instance, they are a bit too small for your windows.

Feel free to use our Shutter Snapshot application to see what your home would look like with properly fitted, authentic shutters. Our slate stone is our standard Gray when choosing colors.
http://www.timberlane.com/resource-center/shutter-snapshot/
   April 17, 2014 at 2:16PM
S. Reed Design, LLC
Wrapping your columns to make them more substantial is an excellent idea. A stained Cedar may be too rustic for your home. I might recommend a simple and clean painted finish. Wood shutters with hinges are always a must. They are instant character and, when hinged, they give a depth and shadow that shutters simply screwed into the siding cannot have. If you are a "do-it-yourselfer", board and batten shutters are easy to make using 1x4s. This link is a quick how-to, but I personally recommend four boards across instead of three. (depending upon the size of your window opening)
http://www.cozycottagecute.com/2011/05/how-to-make-board-and-batten-shutters.html

The entrance is always important and a saturated color for the entry door would make a great first impression. Losing the storm door will make a huge difference and a few great planters and a little landscaping will go along way.

As to the siding selection for the second level, your house would definitely look great in a shingle as shown in Dar's second photo. Hardie makes a comparable product that looks very good and is quite durable. Don't be afraid to paint your brick. Painted brick will always have texture and can allow you to have a little fun as you make this house into your home.
1 Like   April 17, 2014 at 3:02PM
radiosity
Very nice shutters Sarah - thanks for the link! The storm door is definitely going, just no need for it. I could never bring myself to paint the brick on this one - I really like the mottled/dappled colors in it.

What about something like this with Hardishingles in the upper triangle of the front and straight lap siding on the lower section?

April 18, 2014 at 8:05AM
Denita
Love your inspiration and the plan for Hardishingles in the upper triangle and lap siding on the lower section it will dress up your home tremendously :)
1 Like   April 18, 2014 at 8:10AM
garden design online
the wall gray.
   April 18, 2014 at 10:32AM
radiosity
I like it though I don't think major changes like that are within my budget.
1 Like   April 19, 2014 at 10:02AM
radiosity
Another one that stands out.

1 Like   April 20, 2014 at 7:56AM
Denita
What I like about the two inspiration pics you chose radiosphere is the change in materials and the attention to detail (lap siding/shingle siding/gable vent/roof corbels). Are you leaning toward the blue for the gable end shingles? If you do that it will shorten your home visually because you already have a color change from brick to siding.

IMO, I would have the change in materials from lap to shingle, but have the same color and bring the detail in by changing out the shutters to proper size and functional looking and changing out the gable vent to something larger.
Shutters like one of these
Delancey Place Townhouse
James Hardie
   April 20, 2014 at 8:14AM
radiosity
I would stay single color for both (perhaps Monterrey Taupe, Heathered Moss or Boothbay Blue?) - anything more would tend to look busy and stand out in a not so good way in this neighborhood. Which shutters are too small? I saw an earlier post saying that as well but they all seem to be near half the size of the window.
   April 20, 2014 at 8:34AM
Denita
Here is a short but excellent article on proper shutters with photos. Take a minute to read it and you will never look at shutters the same way :) http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

Any of those colors you like would work. I lean toward Monterrey Taupe or Heathered Moss but it is your home :)
   April 20, 2014 at 9:45AM
lepstein
Your home is lovely. There is a Colonial a few blocks away from me that is painted a mid to deep grey with black trim, more substantial posts. It catches my eye every time I pass it. I think yours would have huge street appeal with a grey darker than has been shown (maybe with a slight green or blue undertone, depending on the true colour of the roof) and all black trim (including the shutters). Door should be glossy black. Beef up the posts and do in black as well. Trim or remove shrubs. Either way, add in some colourful flower beds. And voila!
   Thanked by radiosity    April 27, 2014 at 8:00AM
Boring 60s Colonial Desperately Seeking Curb Appeal. Or Even a New Do
Our late-60s Colonial is really desperate for an intervention....
would like a fresh updated look to our 90's home and curb appeal
add a patio/courtyard, take off the shutters, replace...
1939 Colonial Home needs help improving curb appeal
I need some serious help deciding what to do to improve...
Tips for updating the exterior of this 60's neo-colonial home
I am in the process of purchasing this neo-colonial...
1960s colonial curb appeal
We are considering buying this house, but something...
Need some color -!! Design help because I'm a mess!
So we bought an old farm house and have modernized...
I am renovating an old farmhouse and need help with colors.
I am replacing existing cupboards with white shaker...
Awkward Entryway, Unused Room
Help! We moved into a small, 1950's home a few weeks...
Bright orange area rug
I purchased this rug for my casual living room. It...