Proposed/Photoshopped kitchen idea (with your input!)
Juan Barnett
This is a follow up to an original post I made a few days ago. Here is what we've decided!

In summary my wife and I just bought a new home. We are going from 900 sqft to 3,600 sqft. We have 2 kids. The house is in immaculate condition, is 27 years young and the previous owners did a great job making every renovation meticulous.

So, our first mission, aside from buying TONS of furniture, is to...change the kitchen!

Our biggest dislike - the color of the cabinets . Too warm, too 80s, too oak. They just won't go with the rest of our decor which will be more of an industrial-like look (coppers, metals, black reclaimed woods and mechanical-ish stuff.)

With your input we've decided to paint the cabinets black. I prefer to retain the wood grain. I took to photoshop to sketch a before and after (photos attached).

To reduce the amount of wood we see we plan to have 4 of the upper cabinets converted to a mix of glass and wood. We will update all the cabinet hardware (minus the card catalog drawers). We're going to leave the floor for a later renovation and focus on the cabinets, fan and lighting over the bar. We'll also be replacing the dishwasher and stove with SS appliances to match the fridge.

I've sent out a few emails for quotes on the cabinets. If you are local to the DC area and want to bid, feel free to let me know!

I'm also toying with the idea of going DIY and tackling it myself with some of BM's Advance paint. I have access to the house for 1 week before we move in and have taken that week off from work to install a few things and build a home theater faux wall. I have plenty of tools and a 30x25 garage that is currently free of anything.

So, what are your thoughts? What do you think I'd be looking at in hours of labor to have this professionally finished? The kitchen is 18x17, but I don't have access to the house to measure cabinets. As you can see there are MANY of them :)
Juan Barnett
Before you recommend "make the top cabinets a white" - Every attempt I made to display an off-white top and black bottom looked "off." I think it's the copper in the glass tile backsplash. I'll try it again tonight.
April 17, 2014 at 1:29PM   
flair lighting
do not paint them black, get rid of that back splash, that is what is killing this kitchen!
April 17, 2014 at 1:35PM   
flair lighting
also i cant believe the up grades in lighting to leave that thing over the sink! lol! get stainless appliances and change upper to mix of glass...kill that black marble and copper back splash!
April 17, 2014 at 1:36PM   
Juan Barnett
I hadn't really thought about removing the backsplash. Guess that would be easier and more cost effective too.
April 17, 2014 at 1:50PM     
Megan Springle
I actually love the black cabinets, but I don't think it works with the backsplash, counters, or the floors.
April 17, 2014 at 2:15PM   
flair lighting
it just looks so much better with out that back splash.
April 17, 2014 at 2:22PM   
flair lighting
even plain.
April 17, 2014 at 2:23PM     
Juan Barnett
Wow. Hadn't really thought it was the backsplash that was the problem. Thanks for shedding a new light on this....and making me rethink my entire approach ;)
April 17, 2014 at 2:29PM     
flair lighting
replace that light over sink please!
April 17, 2014 at 3:33PM   
flair lighting
and the other problem really was the black appliances...i know those are expensive to replace tho.
April 17, 2014 at 3:34PM   
flair lighting
oh and just noticed, the undercabinet lights seem to be a very warm color bulb. depending on the type they take may want to go a little more cool on those bulbs.
April 17, 2014 at 3:35PM   
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...
What color accent pillows
What color accent pillows should I use to tie my living...
Color palette ideas for living room
We recently painted our living room accent wall with...
What kind of countertop is this in m/bath
What is the material on this countertop?
Old house lovers. . . What would you do with this living room wall?
This is our formal living room. I can't figure out...