Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

If you could change one thing about your house...

Jeannie Nguyen
9 years ago
...what would it be?

Tell us in the comments! If you have photos of the area that you want to change in your home, post it for us to see too!

Colorado Treehouse · More Info

Comments (95)

• Mary Johnson
    9 years ago
    A couple of things....1st is a bigger laundry room, ours is tiny and you walk thru it from the garage to the family room. 2nd is I would no longer have stairs in the house. We owned a single story before this house and I miss it. Other than that this home is perfect as we have renovated the entire home.
  • karen b
    9 years ago
    I hope Houzz also asks the question "What do you like about your house". I'm currently house shopping and am finding there are aspects of my current home that are wonderful but are oh so hard to find while house shopping. Also, am considering building... it would be interesting food for thought to hear what features people love about their home's design.
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    My most serious changeable problem is in the process of being changed! I'm swapping the locations of my kitchen and study. The study is where I spend most of my waking indoor time, but the room where it was faces the street (noisy) and ventilation is blocked by a neighbor's house in summer, so it's significantly hotter than the rest of the house. The old kitchen location is cool and breezy, yet I spend very little time there. To address the airflow issue in the old study/new kitchen, I'm knocking out the upper part of the wall between it and the living room. I'd have removed it entirely to create an open layout, but that would have left inadequate wall space in the living room.
  • hsmeghan
    9 years ago
    I LOVE our house! We bought it about a year ago and it is our first piece of real estate. I love the land it's on too. So there are a lot of things that are fine the way they are. However, there are a number of things I could name here. I'd change the fact that it's a manufactured or "mobile" home (although it's never going to go anywhere ever again -- very large and well-built, over 2000 square feet, with 4 bedrooms and 2 baths and the hugest kitchen I've ever had). I'd love a basement and real foundation -- and a garage (which we're planning to build this summer so that one will be taken care of!).

I notice that Houzz never seems to talk about manufactured homes. I would love to see some discussion about renovating and decorating a mobile home.

An immediate change was done last summer -- we had a metal roof installed right over the existing roof with extended soffits and extra insulation. More changes are coming, such as a water softening and/or filtering system and another load of gravel for our driveway, which goes through woods and is a tenth of a mile long.

But actually, if I were to pick just one thing that was small and doable right now, I'd pull out the huge ugly stove hood that doesn't work and that hangs down over my island stove in the middle of the kitchen (and get a new stove while I'm at it, okay, I can't just say one thing!). 8^)
  • sheblacksmith
    9 years ago
    my kitchen wall, at the back of the house, looks out to a horse pasture & a preserve.
    I would open it all up with glass
  • annbort
    9 years ago
    I have a great house built in 1857 that we restored. I love what we did and could control but I would love a second bathroom. The only one we have is downstairs in what was the pantry. I would also like to get the washer and dryer out of our dungeon of a cellar. And last of all get off of our main, busy road. The back yard is great though.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    We would love to have more natural light flood the whole house. It's a work in progress
  • sartarehare
    9 years ago
    Sun in the yard. We're in Seattle. I guess I'd have to move.
  • PRO
    Eastvold Furniture
    9 years ago
    We would add this:
  • montanadreamer
    9 years ago
    the look of the house.from the road . it's boring and way to linear
  • einportlandor
    9 years ago
    I'd love to add a bathroom to the attic bedroom, making it a master bedroom suite. I don't think I'll ever do it, though. It's an expensive improvement so I'll probably leave it for a future owner. I wish these types of improvements were as simple and affordable as they appear on TV home improvement shows.
  • Maureen Hinman
    9 years ago
    The tiny bathroom with poorly done thick texture on the walls, a cute but non-functional vanity, and no storage. Even though our house is around 3000 sq feet, we are considering adding a pop-out to extend the bathroom and add laundry access in the upstairs. Seems silly to make the big house bigger but the bathroom is barely functional for a family.
  • oreng
    9 years ago
    to thickskin: We just removed the old useless bathtub to make way for a shower. By doing this we opened a doorway from the closet in the adjoining room. Now the third bedroom has a walkthrough closet going to the second ensuite of the house. A good additional plus when selling the house and more convenience for the occupant of that bedroom. I am happy!!!
  • codbes
    9 years ago
    Our tiny utility room is all but useless now that kids have arrived! There seems to be no end to the amount of clothes to be washed ironed etc. We'd love a much bigger laundry room and also a walk in wardrobe. Dream would be to get in a designer to help modernize our house with practical ideas!
  • foreverfarm11
    9 years ago
    when building my home, I wanted a mudroom/dog washing station. "some" people just didn't feel that was important. Hope they enjoy cleaning the footprints off the floor everyday lol~
  • Kathy
    9 years ago
    Would build an alcove behind the refrigerator into the laundry room so a deeper fridge would fit in the space.
  • lepstein
    9 years ago
    I have recently added a bathroom on the main with a walk-in shower, a sunroom, a laundry room and an office. All but the bathroom are painted in sunny yellow with white trim. I love my addition as I could now live on the main if need be.

Unfortunately, my addition has left me house-poor and I still need to upgrade my kitchen- new appliances, a dishwasher (currently, I AM the dishwasher), and, most importantly, the awful acoustic tile ceiling. Also need to re landscape and repair the fence or put up a new one. Other desires: better space for linens, a small storage shed in which to hide the recycling bins and put the lawn mower, etc in winter, railings on the front steps and back deck, repairs to garage...and so on.

Now where's that money tree?
  • jctate2
    9 years ago
    The master bath which is teeny tiny. *sighs*
  • Carolyn Byrne
    9 years ago
    A upgrade on a old miners home. It needs to change the 5 foot wide bath to a modern one. We would like to add on to back of home, with new bath, washroom, and bedroom. My man is 6ft and has difficulty in using the bath, his kitchen is not much better. I worry when we retire next year,that if he would end up in a wheelchair, we could not live in the house. It is his 88 yr old moms residence at present. We are in our 60's, we are hoping she will allow changes prior to next year, while her income can still help with expense. She has fibromyalgia and is deaf, but if money was there to add to her security . She fears she may need her money . If she wants us to stay we are in dire need of this change. he owns the whole thing but we are unable to send pictures. Hope you would consider her for the work. Located in Fairmont, wv, our whole state is struggling to upgrade. thanks.
  • Monique Barrow
    9 years ago
    I would install solar panels on our roof.
    Everything in the house is our choice so is oke. With our youngest going to marry next month we will have plenty of room for both of us.
  • marsia
    9 years ago
    I would fix the mortgage - wish it was paid off!
  • jh77
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I actually have two areas. I have a "sunroom" on the eastern side of the house with sliders opening to the living room, family room/kitchen and master bedroom, with a sloping floor (pink carpet over blue/white flooring with gold flecks), no windows that open and charcoal burnt-look paneling. It prevents any airflow in the house and any privacy in the master bedroom. Removing it and replacing it with a stone patio would solve that problem.

The big problem is the kitchen/dining/laundry room/garage flow. The garage door opens into the laundry room but it is on backwards so it partially blocks the door into the kitchen (picture 1). The door into the kitchen opens onto a small dining nook that is the only dedicated dining in the house - the last family used the family room that opens to the kitchen for their dining room. The overhead beams in the garage and kitchen (top right picture 2), and the water heater in the garage seem to have defined the layout. Consequently anyone eating at the table (or anyone passing outside) can look through the laundry room to the half bath attached to the laundry room. Anyone taking out laundry would block access to the bathroom (picture 1 - window is in the half bath). The w/d partially block the half bath door. I would relocate the garage door to where the washer is. I would relocate the washer dryer to be perpendicular to their current location and on the left side of the garage door. I would push the wall between the laundry and dining nook back about 2 feet to where the beam is (picture 2), and relocate the door from the laundry room into the family room. This would remove the walkway from the nook (picture 3), give a straight entry from the garage through the laundry into the house that almost lines up with the hall running through the house. It would prevent people on the street or dining room from seeing someone in the half bath. It would be possible to enter the half bath even if someone was doing laundry. Hopefully the photos help.
  • decorideas523
    9 years ago
    We LOVE being outdoors. We have two very large porches. The top porch is only partially covered by a roof - big mistake. My dream is to extend the roof, fix it so that it can be screened in and make it a 3 season room. Although this does not sound too hard it would require taking our existing roof and rebuilding. This is because the roof is so complicated (hips meeting gables) it had to be stick built. If it had been done at construction there would be no problem. If we win the lottery...
  • Germany K
    9 years ago
    @ddelora, amen to that! I too live around the most inconsiderate, parking on the curb, hogging all street parking, noisy at inappropriate hours, raising roosters in the city neighbors.

I'm with you, I love my house, but would love to pull a Dorothy and relocate the house to 5 or so acres so I could have a small organic farm and fruit orchard and my three dogs could roam freely.
  • Denita
    9 years ago
    @marsia...that's the best answer on here!
  • Noma Schropp
    9 years ago
    My house is a small 1923 cottage at 1100 sq. ft. and technically 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom. The first bedroom is right off the kitchen and you have to go through it to get to the bathroom, so we use it as a library / office since there's just the two of us.
    I would love to be able to raise the roof a few feet and have two bedrooms including a master suite built up in the attic. I even know where the stairs could go . . .
  • maryahlstrom
    9 years ago
    Love the location of my house but wish it were a more open floor plan. Parts of the house seem to choppy. Bathrooms with no window to the outside.
  • Nunya Business
    9 years ago
    I absolutely love my home. I love my yard. I wish I could pick it up and put it somewhere else, outside of my HOA. If you want to own your home (and land), and not actually "own" it, live in an HOA. I feel my creative freedom has been squashed by others ideas of what is (in their opinion) best. My yard and house could be so much more, and so much more beautiful. I am limited in styles and design that are dating our neighborhood and detracting from our values, not adding to them. To add insult to injury, I have to pay fees to put up with this! This type of system only works for condo lovers and people happy with living in the cookie cutter neighborhood.
  • lepstein
    9 years ago
    Part of what I love best about my house is the location. Also that it is an older home. There is a window in the shower which presents a bit of a problem but is needed for light. Wish the City would let me put windows on the other side of my house but they say that it is too near the neighbours. Don't think I would want to live in an HOA, esheri. I like to have creative freedom and don't really want to pay fees to live in a cookie cutter neighbourhood. Here I am close to all amenities, a walk away from downtown, and can't walk down the street without running into someone I know. Also love the corner lot as it seems so open but doesn't cut down on my privacy too much. Parking is another thing, but I have a garage so it works out for me.
  • Mich
    9 years ago
    Love the house, but feel disconnected with the outdoors. Larger windows would make all the difference.
  • Judy
    9 years ago
    Move it 1 street over, love my home it's perfect for me but it backs up to a busy street so the outside area is not enjoyable due to the noise
  • dogmom5
    9 years ago
    I'd love to finish our basement, add a BR with stall shower, put in a large laundry room, & make a large closet. We have a nice guest room on one side of the basement. But the other side has lots of space to fit all my "wants".
  • nanlu
    9 years ago
    An ensuite...ooh, I hate that term! I hear it too much on the HGTV shows, but, seriously would like one! Also, more storage space. We have a garage, but no basement which, at times, can be inconvenient, although everyone I know just loads theirs up with junk and then complains about it! : )
  • lepstein
    9 years ago
    I don't really understand the draw of an ensuite. Most homes have bathrooms steps away from the master. Would only want one if I had a houseful of kids. Now, storage space, who couldn't use more of that?! My basement is overrun with papers even though it has been cleaned out. I'm working on it, but papers can't just be thrown out (have to check for value and that there is no identification on it) or donated like other items. It's a tedious job, but I am chipping away at it.
  • nanlu
    9 years ago
    I don't even have an upstairs bathroom, where my bedroom is. : (
  • Donna Hunter
    9 years ago
    Need more living space! media room etc. I guess I could just buy a bigger house
  • lepstein
    9 years ago
    Then, nanlu, I do see that you need some sort of bathroom on that level. I recently put one on my main level and that convenience is worth its weight in gold.
  • nanlu
    9 years ago
    The problem is, there is no room unless we build a dormer which isn't in our plans for the moment, but maybe some day. I'm not complaining though because we've recently gutted and remodeled a downstairs bathroom and our kitchen, in addition to installing hardwood floors and a few other improvements. We are currently having a paver patio constructed to replace a very old and very small deck. I'm hoping for a not-too-hot, mosquito-free summer! : )
  • Cheryl Biermann
    9 years ago
    An entrance where it is possiblefor the furniture to be facing the door, backs of couches are not very welcoming. All I can do is'scooch the lounge over to create a view to the other side which is more welcoming. I'd also like a larger closet by the front door, with seven kids, there's never enough space for backpacks, shoes, coats and whatever sporting equipment.
  • myael
    9 years ago
    I live in an old house that is in a landmark,historic area and so cannot change the physical and I need closet space !!!!
  • dm89
    9 years ago
    Our colour scheme! Would love to move away from the browns, beiges and creams, but with so many things in the house following that colour scheme, I have no idea how to go about it!! Would love whites and greys!!
  • duffy2009
    9 years ago
    I would love a larger laundry/mud room area. Ours is off the garage & is big enough for washer/dryer & that's it. There is plenty of space in the basement but we are in our 70s & don't relish going up & down the stairs. Would also love a screened in porch but I don't think that's going to happen. So we try to be grateful for what we DO have but it's still fun to dream.
  • lepstein
    9 years ago
    Wouldn't mind a dishwasher (currently, the dishwasher is me) and drawers instead of cupboards for my pots and pans, etc.
  • lepstein
    9 years ago
    What about a wardrobe, myael. Historic areas are usually so beautiful...at least, mine is.
  • hawaii1234
    8 years ago

I've been in my home for 40 years now and I'm pretty satisfied with it. However, as I get older, I wish we'd bought a one-story home. The stairs are getting a bit hard to navigate. I'd also love to have a large garden, but in California-on water-it's not really affordable. I'm grateful for the home we have.

• Beth Gazley
    8 years ago

spent the last 12 years in a quad level and hate it. My mother, with limited mobility, can't use the powder room without taking stairs. Thank heavens we are moving to a lovely stylish RANCH (https://houseplans.co/house-plans/1240/) I would never again live in a house where you have to walk seven steps up or down to get anywhere.

• Rose Friton
    8 years ago

I don't mind one story or two story houses. I have a "one" right now and I'm 79 and have had a hip and also a knee replacement and it has really made it easier for me to navigate the stairs to my basement (walk out) where my laundry , (den, and another bedroom) are. Just hoping I stay as agile as I am. I do like 1 story homes, but my cottage is great. I also have a passage way (steps) that can be used to finish the 2 bedroom space I have upstairs., should someone with children need bedroom space. This house looks so small from the outside, but inside one wouldn't believe all the space and rooms I have. I'm happy with it. Only thing that would change my mind is to find one in my neighborhood that is directly on the lake, or at least a water view. The water's almost across the street, but I can't see it.... Alas.

• User
    7 years ago

I am from Africa orignally, live now in Queensland Australia --I love my home BUT would desperately love to have 'brick' walls inside my home and NOT these 'yukkie' boards. Brick inside affords all in the home more 'auditory privacy'. ho hum

• dmann3268
    7 years ago

Sounds weird, but I would love to bust into the attic over my kitchen and see what I could do with about 8 feet of extra head space. You would think that would be easy, but the kitchen was renovated by combining the kitchen and the old porch back in the 1980's. Some brainiac blocked the access panel in the ceiling with a column, so the only way in is...well, I haven't figured that out in 18 years.

• TS Fuchs
    7 years ago
    Idk!! Everything. Definitely the bathroom we're doing that now