Picking out backsplash today! Question!
crimsonky
Should I go cream glass subway or a cream travertine?
crimsonky
More pics
April 18, 2014 at 5:42am   
Cristina Hopper
You already have a ton of pattern on your counter and floors. I would not add a third.
April 18, 2014 at 5:45am     
crimsonky
What do you suggest?
April 18, 2014 at 6:13am   
ProSource Memphis
We used a cream travertine with the New Venetian Gold in our showroom to showcase a traditional look with the cherry cabinets. It can work well, if that is your aesthetic!

In addition, the darker travertine was used by our member Zach Dunlap to accent this traditional kitchen. It comes in so many colors that it's easy to put together a pleasing tone on tone combination without being too busy.

Kemper Echo Wine Bar[houzz=Worth Backsplash
April 18, 2014 at 6:25am     
housegal200
Agree that between the floor and countertop, you have plenty of pattern. If you have a piece of countertop left over, bring it to the store to match the cream in the background. Buy a dozen or so of the cream subway tiles you mention. When you get home tape the samples to a board. See if they work before you commit.
April 18, 2014 at 6:26am     
alicejean
In my opinion, cream glass for the shine. Have you thought about using the granite on your counter as your backsplash?
April 18, 2014 at 6:26am     
Vision Design
Leaning toward the glass subway rather than the travertine. Not sure if the floor will mix with the travertine?? Also try a vertical application...
April 18, 2014 at 6:37am     
Megan Springle
I'd go with the cream glass subway tile with a staggered brick lay application.
April 18, 2014 at 6:44am     
crimsonky
I really like the glass. Headed to the store now. Who wants to go with me? Lol
April 18, 2014 at 6:59am     
bleuceleste
Glass it is! That would be a new dimension of Houzz--to shop together in the physical store!
April 18, 2014 at 7:19am     
Cristina Hopper
Cream colors ceramic subway tile is traditional and timeless.
The problem with using another type of stone, glass and pattern at this point is that there is a big probability of getting the undertones wrong and looking like you were trying too hard.
April 18, 2014 at 7:33am     
adivra
Haven't seen a stone backsplash that I thought went well with any granite. Just looks weird to my eye.
April 18, 2014 at 2:21pm     
crimsonky
Christina, that's the problem I'm having. The glass tile looks a different color when I get it home.
April 18, 2014 at 4:08pm   
Addison Design
Don't mix the travertine and granite, there will be too much going on. Glass will be be nice as long as the color coordinates with the granite.
April 18, 2014 at 4:29pm     
Cristina Hopper
Crimsonky - I saw the other thread where you posited the two samples. Neither color was right.

See if you can find an off-white ceramic subway tile. I promise it will not look boring. See these two examples.

Ceramic Basics Capriccio Tile, White Gloss

Ceramic Basics

Alternatively, you could also try a darker grey tile that echoes the grey in your granite. See example of tile in below link. Take a picture of your granite with your smartphone and go to the store and get the closest match you can to that grey. Make sure you see if it's more blue-grey or green-grey and pick that one. The tan/ taupe you ended up with earlier showed purple, so you know that's the wrong direction.
Chimney Smoke 3" x 6" Glass Subway Tile
April 19, 2014 at 3:47am     
crimsonky
Cristina, I'm going to go today and try and get sample of my granite and take to store with me .
April 19, 2014 at 6:02am   
crimsonky
Cristina, I picked these up today. What do you think?
April 19, 2014 at 8:10am   
crimsonky
Pics!
April 19, 2014 at 8:11am   
housegal200
Maybe you need solid, not glass, tiles. The ones you show, at least in your photos, have a gray cast whereas the background of your granite has a golden tone.
April 19, 2014 at 8:32am     
Denita
Yes, housegal200 is right. The two colors are fighting one another.
Here is a similar kitchen with a lighter backsplash that might work for you but my personal preference would be to pick up one of the darker vanes in the granite - like the 'toast' color. Of course this is your kitchen so here is a lighter backsplash that might work for you. :)

The lighting is critical to your color choice. So pick your lighting first before you invest in any backsplash. I am talking about the type of bulbs and fixtures. That is where you will see the difference between a color working and not working for your backsplash.

This lighter backsplash is: 3x6 Subway Urban Putty Gloss tile. This tile is available through Cabinet-S-Top. Click through on the photo name for contact info for this kitchen backsplash. Rest your arrow on the pic to enlarge.

April 19, 2014 at 8:36am     
Cottage Craft Tile
I'd invite you to check out our Cottage Craft Tile website. A hand crafted look would go well with the floor and cabinets that are shown in the photo- I would suggest the single beige color in our mercer mix. The counter top would stand out nicely against that and the cost would be less than most of the glass options out there. Good luck with your project!
April 19, 2014 at 8:41am     
crimsonky
Hard to tell by the pictures but the reason I like this gray one is that the granite has flecks of gray in it .
April 19, 2014 at 11:38am   
Sustainable Dwellings
I have travertine 2x4's mixed in with distressed copper and a painting.... but in your case, I might goe with backlit glass, not subway.
April 19, 2014 at 11:44am   
Cristina Hopper
Crimsonky - I can't tell from my iPad screen if the grey in the ceramic tile is the same as in your countertop. If it is, it's a good choice, but a tad darker would work well too.

I found something form the young house of love you might like. http://www.younghouselove.com/2014/03/pentagons-polyhedrons-hexes-xes/
They used http://www.tileshop.com/product/productdetail.aspx?familyID=2074&recordID=5058279

I think you noticed that a couple of other posters suggested cream subway tiles. Is that not on your radar because you think it'll be to conservative, or because you just didn't find any good ones yet?
April 19, 2014 at 2:12pm   
crimsonky
Cristina, the gray is the same. I found the cream but it just kinda looked blah with my cabinets and paint. I am going to another tile shop on Monday. Thank you!
April 19, 2014 at 2:28pm   
crimsonky
I like that tile you posted !
April 19, 2014 at 2:29pm   
Cristina Hopper
There is a third good option, but I didn't want to bring it up before. Depending on your budget, stainless steel tile (subway tile) could look really nice for your kitchen. It's a solid color so no clashing patterns, it gives it some shimmer, and it picks up on the grey in the granite and the hardware on your cabinets. Here is a look for inspiration.
April 20, 2014 at 8:54am     
Sophie Wheeler
Honestly, take a second look at stone. A gold travertine would work well. Gray is just wrong with those warm tones. If you want gray, you've got to paint the cabinets or change the countertops.
April 20, 2014 at 9:05am     
Penny Middlemiss_Trites
I would definitely go with travertine. I have similar granite and the travertine gives it a timeless look. I masked off ours as well so the grout didn't fill all the holes to give it the old world look. Then all the holes in the travertine were sealed. It turned out beautiful.
April 20, 2014 at 9:07am     
crimsonky
What size do you guys suggest?
April 20, 2014 at 6:39pm   
Penny Middlemiss_Trites
The travertine I got are a warm ivory/cream. The subways are 3x6. My thought was the granite is a pretty big expense so I wanted my backsplash to compliment everything. If I had a laminate counter and less expensive cabinets then I might opt for a more "splashy" backsplash. It's best to pick a tone out of your granite like Sophie says.
April 20, 2014 at 9:07pm     
Cristina Hopper
crimsnoky - before you go back to the drawing board and drive yourself crazy, read this blog post by Maria Killam. She's a color guru, but really nailed the case for staying away from stone back-splash when you already have a loud granite. http://www.mariakillam.com/which-backsplash-tile-goes-with-granite/
http://www.mariakillam.com/when-can-you-combine-patterned-stone-or-tile/
April 21, 2014 at 8:34am     
crimsonky
Cristina, thanks so much. I have zero decorating skill but I'm a dang good nurse. Lol
April 21, 2014 at 5:14pm   
crimsonky
That's a great article. Very informative.
April 21, 2014 at 5:22pm   
kbhayes
Would go with the cream travertine in a larger pattern....subway size scale too small with how busy the granite is...which I LOVE!
good luck....when you find what u like...you will know it!
April 21, 2014 at 7:15pm     
kbhayes
Sorry 4got pic!
April 21, 2014 at 7:20pm     
I need help picking out kitchen backsplash tile
Renovating condo on the beach. Small kitchen just got...
When is the best time to pick out backsplashes?
I'm having my kitchen totally redone. Dark brown cabinets,...
Need help picking out backsplash for kitchen
We cannot decide on a color for the back splash. We...
picking out backsplash
Does anyone have an opinion on using travertine subway...
Need help picking out a backsplash for a wet bar.
There is a lot of color variation in the counter top,...
Need help for the size of a makeup vanity area
We are adding on to our master bath to make it a glamour...
Engineered marble or natural marble
Iwant white flooring in my house which marble is better...
Quelle serait le style de votre cuisine du rêve ?
Moderne, rustique, contemporaine ? Quel est, selon...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
What size and position of window would work well here?
We want to replace a door that used to go out from...