anitamehta
February 29, 2012 in Photo Questions
Is this honed or polished marble? Which is better for the kitchen?
ARCHIA HOMES
That is polished marble. Unless you are meticulous, marble is not the right item for most kitchens. It stains from wine, citrus and oils and quickly loses its pristine appearance. I do like the rustic look this gives marble but many don't. Super White is a granite that has the same look as Carrera marble but has the durability of granite.
February 29, 2012 at 2:09pm     
anitamehta
is it better to be honed vs marble for stain resistant?
February 29, 2012 at 2:12pm   
ARCHIA HOMES
Honed vs. polished you mean. I don't know if there is a difference. I think a stain may show more on polished since there will be more contrast. If I were to use the marble I would go honed and embrace the patina that comes with it.
February 29, 2012 at 2:16pm   
Fiorella Design
Hi Anita,
In this project the marble is polished. I do believe polished is more durable, but it is a soft stone and will show rings. It's been used for hundreds of years in Europe and does 'patina' meaning you will see everything that's left on it. It is a personal choice going in to use it but just know it will show. I've had several clients use it and they still love it. Carrara can be quite gray, so maybe that's the way to go to hide more 'sins'.
February 29, 2012 at 3:42pm   
rtk123
My now two month old kitchen has honed carrara marble counter tops with matching subway tile back splash. All the negative are true, but I still love it. We are a small family and fairly compulsive about keeping neat, but lemon squirts everywhere. If you clean up quickly, it will keep the etching to a minimum. There are also kits available with which to do repairs. But, here's the thing about marble. If you are patient and don't obsess about keeping things pristine, over time it will patina and be beautiful. I went to Eataly in NYC last week and saw the marble counter tops and floors in the vicinity of the bakery. They had such a beautiful patina on them. So now, I'm not as upset as I was when I noticed that first lemon juice etch. But again, it's all personal.
September 5, 2012 at 8:18am     
rtk123
Here are a couple of images. Nothing grand, just a galley kitchen in a NYC apartment.
September 5, 2012 at 8:24am     
vkitchen55
rtk123, how much did that kitchen run you to remodel? and what did you do for flooring? I love the backsplash and carerra counters.
March 30, 2014 at 12:04pm   
rtk123
This is a galley NYC apartment. Cabinets are custom painted maple and include a customized "hutch" on the side opposite the stove/dish washer area. Jennifer Paolino, whose contact information you can fine on Houzz, designed the cabinets after a long and detailed discussion about what I wanted. The cabinets are middle-grade, soft close drawers, the drawers to the left of the range provide storage for all my pots and pans, with lager items stored in the bottom drawer of the range. I do not know what current prices are ... these things do change. However at the time the cabinets were $16,000. I used 2 foot square grey porcelain tiles with a 1/8 inch grout line between tiles to create an almost seamless look. The tiles have an appearance of coarse linen in varying tones of grey. I don't know where you are .... costs might differ in different parts of the country. Total cost for materials, appliances, lighting, electrical and instal were approximately $37,000. Counter tops and backsplash both honed carrerra.
March 30, 2014 at 12:36pm   
vkitchen55
Awesome thanks so much! We are in NYC as well. I assume prices are up from 2012 but still that's great info to know. Thanks again.
March 30, 2014 at 12:38pm   
vkitchen55
All new appliances? And did you do new kitchen flooring?
March 30, 2014 at 12:39pm   
rtk123
Jennifer Paolino is wonderful to work with .... please check her out. We went through several design changes ... the initial one was just beautiful and had a lot of detail, but put me way out of my budget. All appliances are Frigidaire except for the refrigerator which is a Fischer & Paykel. I went with them because that was the only make that came in a no fingerprint stainless finish, has a bottom freezer, is counter depth and wasn't do wide as to reduce counter space to left of stove. I lost about 4 inches, but I didn't want the refrigerator to bump out past the counters.
March 30, 2014 at 12:43pm   
vkitchen55
will do! thanks so much!
March 30, 2014 at 1:19pm   
Need Help Designing our Main room in New Apartment in Zurich!
The Main room of our apartment needs help! Right now...
Mixing woods
I have white pine beams, natural stone fireplace in...
Landscaping ideas for the beach
Looking for some info on trees to plant on a barrier...
Master bedroom lacks balance!
Hello! I have a long size bed and night tables that...
Mantel
I am debating whether or not to paint this dark mantel...