Paint dresser?
dreamingofdesignsApril 18, 2014
I just put an old dresser in my four year old's room. I was thinking of painting it white or staining it green. The room is overwhelmingly pink. It was pink when we moved in and she already had all pink accessories. I could also stain it a lighter wood color. What do you think? Also, do you think I should rearrange the
furniture? I could move the dresser next to her bed, remove the nightstand, and move the armoire where the long dresser is. Thanks for your input. It's really great to hear other people's thoughts.
shelleyuk
Paint it a soft green with chalk paint. It will look lovely.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dreamingofdesigns    April 18, 2014 at 2:22PM
laurakdesigns
I would definitely paint it and I would go white. Is there room to put the armoire where the chair is now, then slide the dresser Dow and put the chair over there?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dreamingofdesigns    April 18, 2014 at 2:36PM
CertaPro Painters of North Seattle
It would help complement the look of the room to paint the dresser white. Moving the dresser so that you can hang a mirror above may be a good way to make the room feel more open, and the combination of mirror and dresser will last her a long time. You might also want to find some fun handles for the dresser, either by spray painting the existing ones or finding some at the hardware store. If you do paint the dresser, make sure you use a paint that is appropriate for furniture like a water-based enamel. Enamels dry harder and are more resistant to wear and tear.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dreamingofdesigns    April 18, 2014 at 2:47PM
saratogaswizzlestick
I would paint it white.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dreamingofdesigns    April 18, 2014 at 3:06PM
veeba
Paint the base white and hot pink drawers.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dreamingofdesigns    April 18, 2014 at 3:14PM
dreamingofdesigns
Laurakdesigns, the armoire would fit where the chair is. Do you think it would block the bed too much? Do you think the chair would look nice in the corner by the bed?It's more practical in the corner since it rocks. I really like the idea of a mirror over the dresser, but then I'd need to have the dresser fairly close to the rocking chair to center the mirror over it.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 3:29PM
dreamingofdesigns
certapro-painters-of-north-seattle, thanks for the tips. I think I'll get some crystal knobs and I'll buy the type of paint you recommended.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 3:34PM
dreamingofdesigns
If I paint it white, what color should I spray paint the handles? Has anyone done that before? Any tips? Thanks!
    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 3:40PM
dreamingofdesigns
I could also move the armoire to where the book case is, but its depth is 18 inches. Does it stick out to much to be there right when you walk in the door. Please ignore my baby and his mess.
    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 3:48PM
laurakdesigns
You could cut out some paper in the size of the armoire and put it where the bookcase is to see if it fits for you there. I think I like it best there if it works.

I have painted the knobs/handles of dressers /kitchens and it works great. Buff it first with one of those padded 3M sanding sponges to rough up the surface if it's a flat area or really shiny. It works fine not doing that too but someone told me it will adhere to the knobs better that way.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 9:37PM
dreamingofdesigns
Thanks, everyone. I moved the furniture all around. The configuration that fit all her furniture and flowed best is the one I'm posting. I'm hoping it will look a little better after I paint the dresser white and paint the knobs.
    Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 8:58AM
saratogaswizzlestick
I like your new furniture arrangement. What color are you painting the handles? I think a bright green would be fun.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dreamingofdesigns    April 19, 2014 at 9:03AM
dreamingofdesigns
saratogaswizzlestick, I was thinking of painting the handles hot pink, but bright green makes a lot more sense. I'll just have to convince my four-year-old. Thanks!
    Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 11:31AM
CertaPro Painters of North Seattle
When you go to paint the handles, just make sure you clean them thoroughly beforehand. You want to find a paint that works well on metal/or use a primer. When you go to a paint store, you can ask what product (s) they recommend. I like the idea of bright colored handles, as she gets older and wants to update her space, it would be easy to change the handles versus painting the entire dresser.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 2:58PM
Kim Harvey Design, LLC
It seems to me that you'll be missing the great opportunity of having some fun with this dresser by painting it a solid white…after all, it's for a 4 year old!
I would recommend painting multi-colored stripes of various widths across the drawer faces (You can still paint the main body of the dresser white so that it relates to the other pieces in the room.) or if you're feeling especially ambitious, then you can create a plaid pattern either running north & south or diagonally.
As for the hardware; I would remove what you have, store them in a box for possible future use elsewhere & just purchase new ones.
Have fun!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 3:14PM
grobby
Pretty room. I'm in agreement to paint the dresser white. With the room arrangement, make sure her bed faces the door. Creates good energy and she'll feel safer if able to see when someone enters the room. A practice of feng shui that I adhere too.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 6:22PM
hanna1984
I agree with Kim Harvey, go for fun!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 6:35PM
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dreamingofdesigns    April 21, 2014 at 6:48PM
dreamingofdesigns
Kim Harvey, I was worried about going a solid because there is so much color in her room, but stripes are a great alternative
Genevieve, great picture. It's beautiful.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 6:57PM
dreamingofdesigns
Grobby, her bed pretty much faces the door. She can see right away when someone walks in. That's a good rule to follow.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 6:58PM
Kim Harvey Design, LLC
Here are a couple of shots for dresser painting ideas…they're quite fun.
I just took a moment to look @ your room arrangement & thought that another shift might serve it even better.
I would recommend your flip-flopping the bed & triple dresser so that the bed rests on the window wall. This would free up space to move the armoire to the longer wall.
The chair can now rest under the window facing into the room, & your smaller shelf can sit either on the closet wall or next to the armoire if there's sufficient space.
I would also, if budget permits, purchase an indoor/outdoor rug (5'x7' or 8'x10') with a good pad for the room. They are super easy to keep clean, very affordable, look great & will make the floor much more play-friendly for your children.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 7:17AM
dreamingofdesigns
Kim Harvey, thanks for all the detailed notes. I think you are definitely right about the furniture switches. I will try those this weekend. I'm also glad you sent me the pictures of the dressers. I was envisioning skinny stripes.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 4:12PM
Kim Harvey Design, LLC
dreamingofdesigns, you are very welcome! Vertical stripes are also a fabulous look. Pinterest is a great source for pics if you need any.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 6:53PM
dreamingofdesigns
I've been busy, but I finally got around to moving the furniture around. Painting might have to wait until I get a day off. Thanks for all your suggestions. It feels much more open and relaxing now.
    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 3:17PM
What color would you paint dresser?
I'm putting this in my twin boys nursery. The cribs...
rpl814
painted Dresser
Do you know the paint colour of the yellow dresser?...
jennifersmallwood
Painting above dresser?
Where did the painting above the dresser come from?...
sarahsd
How to paint dresser
I have never painted furniture before, so I'm a bit...
Lisa
What color paint to dresser converted to tv stand
We are in the process of converting our dresser to...
vibalini
Need help with the living room.
I cannot put the tv inside the library. I want to buy...
andyparodi
Need advices on new home remodeling
Just bought a 50+ years old house. Want to modify the...
judien
Christopher Onyemaechi
What ONE thing do you LOVE that your spouse / partner does at home?
Your spouse / partner is the best, of course! What...
Buying this house need ideas to add architectural accents
I will be moving in March but would like to get some...
packerfan81276