Porch size and step placement
caroljschaab
Getting long awaited new porch. Will not use it for sitting area due to heat but would like space to decorate. Will use decorative railing. The brick face around the door is 11 ft 3inches wide. Can make it as deep as I want. I am thinking 6x8 with steps out to the front. What do you think? It will be concrete with brick trim.
mariaed
do you have a picture of what you mean by concrete with brick trim?
April 19, 2014 at 5:05AM   
caroljschaab
Thanks for helping me. I do have a picture, but don't know how to attach it, new to houzz. The base of the porch would be bricked to match the house on all sides with concrete for the top slab. Carol
April 19, 2014 at 5:19AM   
A larger front step area tend to feel more inviting.
April 19, 2014 at 5:36AM     
caroljschaab
Figured out how to send photo, lol easy. Like this one, but I won't have the pillars etc.
April 19, 2014 at 5:38AM     
ppf.
Will it be roofed? I'd say steps out the side towards the drive. Create a low bricked wall in front
April 19, 2014 at 11:46AM   
caroljschaab
No, not roofed. I hope to have a small bistro size table and 2chairs and use a offset umbrella for color. Instead of a roof.
April 19, 2014 at 12:04PM   
Denita
I like where you are going with this open deck type area out front. But, I would have wider steps than those shown in the reference pic you posted. At 42 inches to 4 ft wide and more if you can do it proportionally to the size of the open concrete deck area. I agree about bringing the steps to the front and not to the side because to me it looks a little more welcoming. You can then put in a winding brick paver type walkway from the drive to your front steps (again, 42" to 48" wide winding walkway). Landscape it and it will be terrific! Let me see if I can find a couple of different walkway inspirations.

BTW, like the umbrella and bistro size table with 2 small chairs too.

I would make the depth 8 ft and the width the entire 11 ft 3 inches across if your budget allows. I think the 6' x 8' is just too small. Don't skimp on the front. If there is a significant cost factor difference between 11 ft 3 inches and 10 ft, then go with the 10 ft if the savings is worth it. If the budget won't allow for 8 ft deep, then 6 or 7 ought to work but 6 ft is going to feel very, very tight. Take a hose or other material and lay it out in front of you to get a feel for the space. Get your estimates for the concrete deck and steps. Then you will know.
April 19, 2014 at 12:42PM   
Denita
Here are a couple of ideas for the winding walkway. You could do brick or stone or concrete or pavers or even mix them up with stone and brick. Lots of choices:
Transitions: Pathways, Landings & Steps
Landscape
Montclair Nj
Additions & Renovations
Inverness Gardens
The Hampton Backyard
April 19, 2014 at 12:52PM   
caroljschaab
Thanks Denita. I marked off the spot with a hose and agree, I will plan a bigger porch. I will make it as wide as the brick front for balance as you and others have suggested.

Im debating now about your idea 8feet instead of 6 feet. the estimate is not done yet so I can compare size/cost. Yes the sample picture steps look like an afterthought. I will ask,for longer steps. Thanks for the help.
April 19, 2014 at 2:07PM     
Denita
Your welcome! Have fun with this exciting project. Remember to get a couple of written detailed itemized bids, you would be surprised at the differences between them :) Check to see if you need a permit for the front stoop and step, probably required depending upon where you are.
April 19, 2014 at 2:15PM   
caroljschaab
Denita, you picked three of the same walkways I looked at. What do they day bout great minds?
April 19, 2014 at 2:22PM     
Denita
Lol....I didn't even peek at your Ideabook ...just going through to see what would look nice with your house :) I think it will be terrific when you are finished. Make sure you show us the result!
April 19, 2014 at 2:25PM   
caroljschaab
Will do, it's my first time on houzz and really like the input.
April 19, 2014 at 2:28PM     
nwduck
Denita's advice is always a winner. Agree with every bit. It's going to look great! And yes, post pictures here when you're done, and we'll get a note that you've posted again.
April 19, 2014 at 7:24PM   
caroljschaab
Thank you. I Was in a hurry to start this but thought more about her advice to get a second opinion. I was feeling hurried to get this done. I had my trees taken out after the picture and wanted a new lawn before end of May. Now I feel more confident about my overall direction. I will wait take the time to get a second opinion. The potential money I save
Will offset what was spent on tree removal. Thanks for moral support.
April 21, 2014 at 5:28AM     
caroljschaab
Still waiting on estimates. I just thought instead of cement and brick I could have just cement. I could have the edges stamped and dyed to look like the red brick. I've seen stamped cement in pictures but not in real life. Do you think decorative cement is a good option?
May 6, 2014 at 6:24PM   
Denita
Oh yes. it's a great option :)
May 6, 2014 at 6:28PM   
Best placement for can lights on a step ceiling
I am doing step ceilings in my living room and dining...
Placement of Porch Fan
Porch is 16 x 12 with cupolo in center to let in light...
Furniture Choice/placement on front porch
Help! I am trying to figure out what type of furniture...
placement of porch light fixture
What would be the proper placement of a ceiling mount...
What to do about these chairs....
I would like to get rid of the leather bar stools at...
Advise and Opinion
What do you think of mine compared to their, and what...
Need Advice on House Paint for Bunglow
Hi Everyone, I'm back. You gave me great advice last...