Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oleigh

Need help choosing new dining room lighting

oleigh
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
We have just moved into this house and are looking to finalize decisions for our remodel. We are having a hard time picking a new dining room light, which will in turn influence our pick for a new entrance light. The existing light is 18" wide and 40" long. From the ceiling to the bottom of the existing fixture is 8' 2". We have more modern tastes, and are having a really hard time visualizing a new light in this space. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What size light is the best fit for the space? I have seen many drum shades, but I feel they will look like saucers flying in space there.
Other changes - flooring will be hardwood. Railing at the entrance will be gone, railing on the stairs will be stained darker to match the floor. Dining hutch will be changed, and mirror currently laying on the floor will be hung over it.

Comments (47)

• oleigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oops - let's try those last two pictures again. I have also attached pictures of two lights we are considering. The first is approx. 30" wide, the second is 24" w x 54" high
  • oleigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is another option. We would look at getting the fixture in a silver finish - door hardware is all a satin nickel finish, the legs of our white leather chairs are chrome. It is easiest for me to visualize similar shapes to what is there, but was wondering what other options might work as well. The other issue is with the drop required, we would be better off with a fixture with chain as opposed to that many rods (if that were even a possibility).
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I like your choices, but for some reason I immediately thought of this fixture (maybe because you mentioned 'flying saucer' ;-))
    Saucer Bubble Lamp, White, Medium · More Info

Cambie Residence · More Info

photos · More Info
  • oleigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately the wire isn't long enough for our space. A problem we seem to encounter on so many fixtures we have found. It's only 6' of wire, and the existing light is over 8' from the ceiling to the bottom of the fixture.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    But it's fairly easy to change the wire of a pendant light for a longer one. I couldn't do it, but someone with electrical knowledge can.
  • oleigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I guess I'd hesitate to buy a fixture online without being able to see how the wiring is setup, and what would be involved to redo, and would rather buy something long enough/that I could see in person.
    @carolins - would your preference be for a more 'flying saucer' shaped fixture in that space?
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    The length of your existing chandelier seems ok but it should be wider.

Contemporary Dining Room · More Info

Hudson Residence · More Info

Pool House & Wine Cellar · More Info
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I understand your hesitation :-)
    A light that is wider, more rectangular, would give better light to your table. The most important thing is that you love the light fixture and it gives sufficient light to your table.

There are a couple of nice ideabooks here on Houzz about finding the right light for your dining table. I'll see if I can find them and will post them for you.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Some options that I think would be long enough:
    Possini Euro Planet Chrome and Black Pendant Chandelier · More Info

Possini Euro Wired 18" Wide Glass Multi Light Pendant · More Info

White Cloud Brushed Nickel Double Multi Light Pendant · More Info

Possini Euro Design Glass Orbs 15-Light Pendant Chandelier · More Info
  • oleigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The Possini fixture is one my husband would love - and the first one we've seen that has 9 feet of cable. That would put it just lower than the existing, which might still be a little higher than ideal? Not sure what the perfect height off the table would be.

With respect to scale - when looking lengthwise down the table, the existing chandelier doesn't seem that far off scale (narrow table). Are there any "rules" about chandelier size:table size?
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    ok, i would suggest a company called Corbett Lighting, or Troy lighting. not sure what your budget is. But the original fixture is really along the right lines, it just needs to be updated.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    i didnt quite scale the above perfectly...sorry.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    something funky'
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    carolins, you absolutely could rewire a light fixture...once I told you how. (Like colors together, bare wire to ground; that's the little green screw.) And oleigh, I assume you will be having an electrician hang your lights anyway. It's a snap to change out the conductor for a longer one, so you absolutely should not let the length stop you from getting whatever light you want.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    when you need more than 8-9 feet of cable...you take it to a lamp shop..or buy it there and have them rewire it with any amount of cord you need.rewiring yourself from the cluster it is not that hard. but having someone who knows how can be useful. also being sure to get the right gauge of wire....and with a ceiling that tall i would want an electrician with a tall ladder and insurance.
  • oleigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the responses. So far in our visits to the local lighting stores none will rewire any of the lights that do not have the drop we need. If it were just the electrical wire running down to the fixture with a chain for hanging (for example like our current fixture) it's easy. But for the fixtures with the wiring being contained within the cable that it also hangs from I think it gets more complicated to re-do as just picking up electrical wire won't do. Electricians here aren't willing to consider without looking at the light first which makes purchasing one a gamble, and no one wants to contend with a light that isn't just a simple wire run separate from the hanging apparatus.
  • oleigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So back to what size/shape of light is best in the space. The rules contained within Carolins post above (thank-you) suggest a diameter of 12" less than the width of the table. In this case that would be 26" diameter. The other rule suggests half of the diameter or 18" (the size that is currently there).
    For hanging height, it's 30-36" above the table at 8' plus 3" for each additonal foot of ceiling height. The ceiling is vaulted, so if I assume the height from which it hangs (15') I get 51-57" above table height. The current fixture is hanging with the bottom 50" above table height. Would you go higher? I find it looks high enough. Might that be due to the bulk head and partial wall that separates the space from the kitchen?
    So the "rules" leave me with a fixture 18-26" in diameter which I tend to agree feel comfortable with. Should I keep the "long" style that is currently there?
  • sarainitaly
    10 years ago
    I would hang something longer (horizontal, rectangular) and hang it lower, and modern.
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    10 years ago
    I really love how open your home is. Our custom lighting is completely adjustable and can be made any length. Here are a few things I could easily see in your space.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    oleigh, your space deserves a spectacular fixture and Shakuff's are pretty remarkable. I also just finished reading all his reviews: 5 stars all the way. http://www.houzz.com/browseReviews/shakuff/shakff
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    10 years ago
    Thank you groveraxle! Always a big fan of your input and renderings in discussions. It's always a huge help. :) Nice work with our Tulip pendants! ;)
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    so have all the fixture you have looked at had less then 6 feet of cord? because your measurement includes the height of the fixture not just the cord alone? most fixtures come with at least 6 feet of cord and the larger 9, so im thinking you may want to take that into account, when shopping, get the specs on the fixture, you will have enough cord on most for the size you need.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    for example the above pendant fixtures will come with 8ft of cord. most of those factories will add more, it has to be special ordered that way. but the pendent style probably com with 6-9 feet of cord, then include the height of the fixture.
  • oleigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Shakuff - you have beautiful fixtures. I might need to save some $ to get one of those made and shipped here!
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    10 years ago
    oleigh - thank you! We'll be here when you're ready! :)
  • PRO
    DRTC Studio
    10 years ago
    Look at the sky garden by Marcel Wanders.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    oleigh, I know it can be done because it was on another thread. Tasi chose the RH Sputnik which has a total of 46" of downrod and had it installed on a 14' ceiling. And Home Depot has downrods up to 96" (though only in white and bronze).

I suggest you find the fixture you want, download the specs, and present them to an electrician to see what he can do. It shouldn't be this hard, and your choices shouldn't be limited by length. Heavens, what do people with 20' ceilings do?
  • Jane Burgett
    9 years ago
    Adding a longer wire is a no brainer for someone with a little experience.
  • tmcorkum
    9 years ago
    the wire would need to be extended but I'd suggest the Sergei Chrome Pendant Light by Nuevo
  • Denise Jones
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Bergen Street Residence · More Info
  • Denise Jones
    9 years ago
    Bubbles Glass Modern Chandelier Solaria Large Light Dining Room Lighting Ceiling · More Info
  • littlemissk
    9 years ago
    Just tell an electrician to put in 12' of wire. It can be clipped once you decide on the chandelier ... we have done it. Wire is cheap.
  • littlemissk
    9 years ago
    Just a thought .... your living space appears transitional in style. Here's an idea (not the right finish, but contemporary, warm and inviting and the right size for the volume of your space). Light is cast both upwards towards the ceiling and downwards onto the table. A caged light, or unrestricted light bulbs, may appear too "bare" for the size and height of your room and you may find the light too diffuse (all over the place). You might want a focal point that will create a grand, yet sophisticated look, but also invite people to dine. Check out their web site listed on the attachment. It shows it over a dining table.

Also here's a site that gives a few pointers on how to hang one. http://www.wayfair.com/Buying-Guides/Chandelier-Size-and-Placement-Guide-E576
  • lawindham2012
    9 years ago
    Shakuff got it right , you need more to fill the space. Think they are works of art and add to the space
  • Keeva Loyalty
    9 years ago
    Love the colors but for such a large room your dining set is a bit small. The lights I have seen that's black is lovely but it will be more about the light then your dining room set. Maybe you can add accessories. Good luck.
  • AnnaMaria Hoffmann
    9 years ago
    Classy but expensive Poul Henningsen PH ARTICHOKE lamp - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH_Artichoke
    Cheap IKEA PS MASKROS http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90147465/ (nice patterns on walls and ceilings).
    Funky Swedish wineglass lamp GLASKLASEN: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/glasklasen-chandelier-2626
  • oleigh
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the replies. I love some of the fixtures being suggested. Including the pricey PH Artichoke.

We have looked at the Sergei at 38" wide (suggested by tmcorkum) and the bubble glass at 32" (suggested by Denise Jones). While I like the idea of both, I am concerned about the width. The existing fixture is 18" at it's widest. The Possini glass orbs suggested earlier by Carolins comes in at 30" which is an option if we decide we want the look but a little narrower. The Bubble Glass fixture would come in around the width of the existing table, and the Sergei at the width of a future updated table.

Perhaps I need to play around with adding some width to the existing to get a sense of what that might look like. At the moment we are in the midst of flooring install so everything is a little turned upside down, so I might wait until next week when hopefully we can start putting things back together again. I might try some photoshopping to see if I want to maintain a fixture with more height as is currently there or not.

Regarding our table - when you say it is a little small, I assume the biggest issue you are seeing is how narrow it is? Right now it is staying, however we recognize that it isn't what we want long term. With everything else that is going on it may just be what we live with for now as we will be tackling family room furniture next as the room is empty today. I may be asking for recommendations on scale for that room as we've found two options and cannot decide on correct scale. But that's another post. For this room - accessories, art etc are all still to come. Being new to the house and renovating means everything is a work in progress.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    I don't think your table is too small. It seems to fit the room perfectly. Good luck with all your projects. Once you start something often another thing needs doing to... and then another thing and another thing... :-)
  • Denise Jones
    9 years ago
    I would contact the lighting manufacturer directly for their advice.
  • PRO
    AT HOM
    9 years ago
    I would think about a series of hanging drum pendants (3 Max) at different heights. You have such wonderful ceiling height that I would take advantage of it.
  • tmcorkum
    9 years ago
    You'll know the right one when you see it. One thing to keep in mind with the Sergei is that it's not a solid 38" wide, it's an airy 38" wide. Because your space is so open, you may be able to get away with that width.

I was going to get it but opted for the Sputnik by the same maker because I have a separate dining room on the smaller size (10x 16) and a ginormous table. I'm in the process of redecorating the room so it needs window treatments, etc but you get the idea from pics below.

If you look at the Sergei picture above, the table isn't super wide but the space is open so it seems to accommodate the fixture well. I was looking at getting a similar table as the pic as well.
  • tmcorkum
    9 years ago
    Last post promise: Just get a fixture you love and the other stuff will sort itself out over time. I agree with Carolins, I don't think you're table is too small.
  • PRO
    AT HOM
    9 years ago
    We just did an installation in a scenario just like yours with drum shades in several fabrics, colors and sizes. It was not at all over whelming to the room and with such high ceilings and the angles in the room using lighting that has a grouping effect give much depth and weight to space that needs it. do not be afraid of size, or color it is surprising how much those types of ceiling swallow up anything that is put in it. Have fun!
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    AT HOM, I love that :-)