Nightstand, chair, etc ideas for master bedroom
Erica Garza
We can't seem to find the right type of night stands for our master. I don't want everything the same color and was considering perhaps some glass tables where I could spray the frame a cobalt blue. I'm grasping straws really. what would look best? also once we get nightstand do we move the lamps, get new ones or is that lamp overkill? if no lamps, how do I decorate them so they remain uncluttered but compliment the space? hubby would like a chair next to the armoire as well. oh, the rug is going too. ☺
flair lighting
wall lamps and vintage white
April 20, 2014 at 7:27PM   
doctornancy
Mirrored nights stands would coordinate with your fabulous dresser mirror. Lamps on the nights stands instead of the dresser will draw the eye to the bed, which rightly is the focal point of the room. I added a dark grayed-blue bed skirt, darker pillows, and enlarged the artwork above your bed. You have the foundations of a beautiful room. Enjoy!
April 20, 2014 at 8:47PM     
abbyjean
I agree the lamps should be by the bed and love the idea of a chair by the armoire. Since the lamps match, I think it might be nice if the side tables do not. Same height, but a different style.
April 20, 2014 at 8:53PM     
Erica Garza
I love love love mirrored nightstand and been dying to find a room for some! I just showed hubby and he agrees they look great. I'm glad you popped in a darker blue on the bed. I almost bought a pair a few days ago but waited to get opinions. the room faces north so it only gets light from one side - mirrored stands would help carry light around. when I move the lamps to those, what should I put on the dresser to replace that blue pop there?
April 21, 2014 at 7:47AM     
Erica Garza
imagine without the lamps here. I'd like pop of blue and may be a plant?
April 21, 2014 at 7:49AM   
doctornancy
When you move the lamps to the bedside tables, your dresser will (temporarily) appear bare to you. Keep in mind that you want the bed to be the focal point, so you don't want to draw too much attention to the dresser. You also don't want decor items to compete with your wonderful mirror, perhaps only add some items to soften it a bit. Some decor items to consider adding would include a stack of cloth-covered boxes, family photos, a plant.
April 21, 2014 at 8:15AM   
abbyjean
How about painting that picture frame blue? Then a plant in a blue pot with a bit of a pattern to it.
April 21, 2014 at 11:58AM     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Erica, you're off to a great start!

I'll echo what's been suggested already - mirrored tables would look great. And I agree with doctornancy, you don't want too much clutter on your dresser. Keep the room with a single focal point. Have you consider a blue vase to replace the lamps on the dresser?

A blue frame would also work, but rather than painting, you may want to find a new one that fits your style.

More mirrored side tables: "Melrose" Mirrored Side Table
John Richard Lyons Mirrored Side Table
Cooper Silver Leaf Iron/Mirror Accent Table
Mirrored 24in.Dia Scalloped Accent Table
Mirrored Side Table

Vase ideas: Sleek Cobalt Blue Vase https://www.etsy.com/listing/169413807/cobalt-ombre-bud-vase-dark-cobalt-blue?ref=sr_gallery_48&ga_search_query=dark+blue+vase&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Frame ideas: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/weathered-blue-wood-frames/?pkey=e%7Cblue%7C435%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C6&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-
April 21, 2014 at 12:20PM        Thanked by Erica Garza
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
April 21, 2014 at 12:29PM   
Erica Garza
which picture frame are you referring to when you suggest painting it blue? I do have enough spray paint left from the lamps to match other items. I do love the idea of a blue vase, especially a glass vase that has that semi translucent look. I'll have to Google to explain that better.

now,since I'm getting rid of this rug what should I replace with? I love fluffy rugs. this is what I have in my LR and it's a shimmery brown tone. it comes in a pearl and also white colors and excellent underfoot. I think solid rug would be best to avoid competing patterns. is another 8x10 rug a good idea?
April 21, 2014 at 1:41PM   
abbyjean
I was thinking the white one.....is it a boy in the pic? That would be fun to have that SAME blue in small doses on more than one item/area in the room.
April 21, 2014 at 1:44PM   
abbyjean
Do you need a rug in the bedroom? Is it just to add color? I am not always a fan of a rug on carpet. You can get color just like you are....with all the other touches/accessories in small doses.
April 21, 2014 at 1:47PM   
Erica Garza
Omgosh the scalloped mirrored table is delicious! one thing I completely failed to mention is that I would LOVE to add a board and batten treatment to the entire back wall where the headboard is. its a sloped high ceiling and my thought is the white would open up the room visually. currently our ceiling is painted the same as the walls are in the entire house.
April 21, 2014 at 1:51PM     
Erica Garza
yes that's our son who wouldn't scoot out of the way for my pic lol
April 21, 2014 at 1:52PM   
April 21, 2014 at 1:52PM   
abbyjean
Could you find the same wood your shelf over the bed is made of/from? That color is also in your bedding. I like it! Get something round for one side and square for the other.
April 21, 2014 at 1:56PM   
abbyjean
Your son is adorable and makes a great decoration! I was hoping it was a boy in the pic on your dresser so blue would also make sense for the white frame.
April 21, 2014 at 1:58PM   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Glad you like the scalloped side table! It was my favorite as well. :)

I like the idea of a board and batten accent wall, but I'd suggest choosing one that is not as heavy feeling. The smaller squares you posted might compete with the simple geometric headboard you have.

I'd consider one with larger scale divisions, like this: Noe Valley Historic Home

You could also go for vertical siding (Profile) or a mostly vertical treatment, with boxes near the top of the wall (Restful Master Bedroom) so that the lines of your headboard aren't competing with the wall treatment. Of course, it all depends on how your ceiling meets the wall too.
April 21, 2014 at 2:02PM   
Erica Garza
oooh I love that last wall. you're right, it can't be too busy. I want to say it's maybe 10ft wall before it slopes. so not much vertical wall space. the last option would trick the eye best visually. great find! not to mention less cuts so hubby will be happy. haha
April 21, 2014 at 2:14PM     
Erica Garza
here's a photo that best shows the sloped wall. I think the batten treatment will really make this room feel grown up.
we don't have drapes and I'm not sure I want any. I like the open feel. maybe a cornice? I think that's what they are called,,...window boxes. am I making sense? lol. and what, if anything do I put above the armoire? lastly, do I leave these images above the bed as is? I really like the frame finishes and prints themselves. maybe spray the clock blue? it's a thrifty find and doesn't work
April 21, 2014 at 2:23PM   
Erica Garza
I like this too. it's not something you'd expect to see.
April 22, 2014 at 4:36AM     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
If the mirrored nightstands you attached are closer to your price range, then go for it! Those look great and would definitely echo light around your room! I love the coral glass bowl, too. It's definitely a unique find.

I probably wouldn't put anything above the armoire, unless the empty space bothers you. It's well above eye-level, so if you do put something up there, it's not a piece that will be noticed often.

And on the subject of your art, I also like your prints and frames, but I think it seems a little too neat and organized. If you'll be adding board and batten siding to that wall, I'm not sure if you'll want the frames laid out horizontally in addition to the horizontal bed frame and the horizontal lines in your siding. It might get into competing again. You might consider arranging the frames differently or putting them on another wall.
April 22, 2014 at 6:16AM   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
For the window treatments, you may want to try a roman shade. You can find some that are more geometric, or some with a looser hang. Either way, you could easily place the shade above the actual window to give the illusion of more height as well as maximize the amount of light coming in, since it's a North facing room.

Turn of the Century Cottage
Camelia Court

Shades above the actual window:
Manakin Sabot Dining Room
Coastal Modern by Tim Clarke
April 22, 2014 at 6:26AM        Thanked by Erica Garza
Erica Garza
You're right about the armoire - it will probably just collect dust anyway :)

I deleted those nightstands because I didn't realize they're no longer available. Bummer.
I cannot wait to get started on the board and batten wall! I think its going to liven up the space even before I get the nightstands.

This is a chair from Target - what do you think? It's not going to be a high traffic chair so I don't want to spend too much $ on this piece. I'd rather spend more on the nightstands since they'll be a focal point. Is the color too far off? I think the boldness of the coral glass bowl is making this seem greenish? Or could be my monitor at work
April 22, 2014 at 6:28AM   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
That is a bummer on the nightstands. Keep searching!

It's easy as a Home Designer to post images and ideas from Houzz, but they often use high-end products that may be over priced for your budget. Look around local stores, search ebay, amazon, or even sites like Overstock.com or Hayneedle.com. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding those deals.

I think the Target chair would work great for your room. On my monitor, it looks blue, just more of a grayish / navy blue than the indigo blue of the coral bowl.

Some mirrored night stands at Target: http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=mirrored+table&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_mirrored+table
April 22, 2014 at 6:45AM   
Warner Decor
April 22, 2014 at 8:12AM     
Erica Garza
i like these. I'm hoping I can start on the wall next week!
April 23, 2014 at 6:10AM     
Need help with entire Master bedroom!Nightstands, lamps, chair, artwor
We have a deep navy Wyatt bed from R&B, a hand me down...
Master Bedroom Nightstand Decor
We just moved into our house & need some help in our...
Recommendations for nightstand for master bedroom
I am redecorating my master bedroom. My wall colors...
Master Bedroom mismatched nightstands, artwork issues, flooring?
Master Bedroom 23x13 Bay Window 8x3 Problem: Long...
How should we tile our bathroom?
We are investing in a rather expensive wall tile (Minka...
Screened in porch
Me and my wife bought a starter home with the intention...
36" built in ironing board
Don't have room for standard 42". Do 36" builtins exist?...
Cove molding for 8 ft ceiling?
I am considering adding cove molding (not crown molding)...