Wall decoration decision, need help!

pcedeno884230April 20, 2014
Hi there! I am trying to make my living room look fresh and modern. I am struggling with wall decoration (the picture above the red couch)....I just love it but I am aware that is not big enough for the wall. I was thinking of buying another one just like that one and hang them next to each other. However, I am not sure, if it would look fine to hang non expensive pictures on the main wall of the living room (Once I read on a magazine that if you hang something above the living room couch, it should be a painting not just a picture). Please help any ideas or comments will be much appreciated!
Here are the pictures of the living room, the media table is actually a shelf (need to hang it on the wall). :)
doctornancy
You are off to a great start. You are correct that your current art is too small. "Modern and dramatic" requires very purposeful decorating using bold and striking pieces. The artwork you select can be a painting or a poster, though I do recommend that it be mounted on a frame (if you use fabric or canvas) or framed.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 21, 2014 at 12:04AM
Divyansh Jindal
you may even try some family portraits along with a wall art. here are some pictures
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 21, 2014 at 12:13AM
Divyansh Jindal
you may even have a teak wood shelf . with some silver tea pots, and silver photo frames , and a mirror with a nice frame with it
    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 21, 2014 at 12:17AM
kruti88
Your couch looks beautful!! and the zebra ottoman goes really great with that!! I would try some black and white patterned wal art...along with the existing one...or a similar larger sized art......:) The throw pillows look cute! can I ask you where you got them from?
    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 21, 2014 at 12:20AM
kruti88
..
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 21, 2014 at 12:22AM
Rina
Good framing, with a matt wider at the sides than top and bottom, could make a big difference. The picture deserves it.
    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 21, 2014 at 12:59AM
Rina
A blue matt would look better, I think.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 1:07AM
hatetoshop
Matting and framing the art would be the best solution, but placing similar artwork beside it would work well too.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 21, 2014 at 2:44AM
pcedeno884230
Thank you for all your ideas! Loved the idea of the blue rug, doctornancy (actually the whole picture)! The idea of framing that art is really good, but I think the frame will be more expensive than the art indeed.
krutti88, the pillow covers got them in Ikea. BTW, love the pic you sent wish it could be more colorful since my walls are very light.
hatetoshop, what about buying exactly the same art and hang it right next to the one already hung?
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 8:29PM
studio10001
If you like the piece, hanging more would be fine - but 3 across, or 4 stacked in pairs, to fill the space.
    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 21, 2014 at 8:33PM
pcedeno884230
What do you think about this idea? Hanging exactly the same 2 pictures together?
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 8:37PM
studio10001
Yes, if they are larger than the one you are showing. Aim for filling roughly 3/4 the width of the sofa.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 21, 2014 at 8:39PM
Keitha
If you like your existing art what about painting a big black box behind it to make the artwork appear larger?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 21, 2014 at 8:53PM
pcedeno884230
Thanks studio1001 and Keitha for your wonderful ideas! Yes, I really like the piece is very colorful and gives spice up the living room since the walls are light.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 8:01PM
pcedeno884230
The couch is 82 inches W, and the art is 27 1/2 x 19 3/4. :)
Also, should I get a bigger size for the shade? Thanks for your comments, they are helping me a lot!
    Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 8:06PM
Rina
Hi again -- a brief drop-in as I'm on my way out. I thought you might like to see your picture doubled up. I like it. Yes, I think a bigger shade, drum type, would be good.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 24, 2014 at 2:07AM
Rina
Didn't mention before that I think your choice of throw cushions with that picture is brilliant.
    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 24, 2014 at 2:08AM
3523studio
Hi, you hang something longer. Have a look at my website http://3523studio.com.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 3:24AM
2tootsie2
How about four of the same over the sofa?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 24, 2014 at 4:29AM
Warner Decor
Hi! Here are a few ideas for you:

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/too-much-information-v-by-christine-wilkinson-40inx28in/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/too-much-information-iv-by-christine-wilkinson-40inx28in/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/too-much-information-iii-by-christine-wilkinson-40inx28in/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/too-much-information-ii-by-christine-wilkinson-40inx28in/

Hope this helps you!
    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 7:49AM
pcedeno884230
Thanks for your valuable opinions 2tootsie2 and Rina!
Rina, the picture with the double art definitely makes the difference when trying to visualize things. And thanks for the comment about the pillow covers, I wasn't planning on matching them, it just happened :)
    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 9:47PM
pcedeno884230
I am definitely going to change the black shade for a bigger one. Now should I put two arts together or four of the same over the sofa? Also, could you please take a look at the other pics of my living room and help me with some ideas to decorate the other side of my living room (by the black chair)? I really appreciate your comments! :)
    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 9:51PM
studio10001
Whether to do two or four has a bit to do with your comfort level. I might use 4, but play and see what feels best to you.
I'd like to see a table next to your chair that is large enough to set a drink and a book on, and think you could use a console large enough to contain all your exposed bits behind doors.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 24, 2014 at 9:57PM
pcedeno884230
Thanks for your promptly reply studio10001! So your idea of the table would be besides the Media table/shelf that I need to hang on the wall?
    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 10:02PM
studio10001
I feel bad to suggest it, as the piece looks new, but the sound system would be much better under cover. If trading up in size is not an option ( understandable), you might consider another less visible spot for the exposed equipment.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 24, 2014 at 10:10PM
pcedeno884230
Please don't feel bad for your suggestion studio1001, thanks for your help! I was thinking of putting it inside that shelf, once its hung (can't trade it up in size). And maybe put something on the top of the shelf, like a flower vase?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 10:17PM
studio10001
That sounds fine, and I am relieved that it will fit.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by pcedeno884230    April 24, 2014 at 10:25PM
pcedeno884230
I am glad! :) I am planning on hanging it this weekend. I'll upload a pic once is ready!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 10:38PM
pcedeno884230
Hi there! Sorry it took me so long to upload the photos and have the living room ready. Here are some pics, thanks for all your wonderful comments.
I still have the feeling that something extra needs to be added, rug, curtains, don't know yet.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 9:56PM
Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
It's looking great so far. I was going to suggest that you get another piece of art from the same artist (same size) but it looks like you already did that ;) as for rugs, we have some nice ones at furnishedup.com
    Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 11:06AM
Help! Need decision quick!
Yes, this is a double post, but my first one had HORRIBLE...
smartin1
What to do with the brick - can't make a decision please help
This is the sunroom from inside and outside. The trim...
etual
I can't "table" this decision. Help I need chairs
I am tired of my chairs. What color/type of chairs...
chacha45
help me with my last decision on brand new home!!!!
we are building a new home and are stuck at what color...
annellepe
Need help with paint choices for wall and trim and decisions on stairs.
Having some work done on a brownstone in Manhattan,...
Emeka Patrick
Paint colors- urgent help needed!
On Monday, painters are coming to do our entire apartment....
domesticimpostor
Update 80s Rock house
Really stumped on updating the curb appeal on my house....
reidads07
Log Cabin Reclaimed
Finally get to build my own cabin,Core 10 roof,400...
Derrick Budd
How do I stack my artwork?
We've been collecting for about 10 years and have a...
pebshoney
Please help me to redesign my bedroom to fit 2 adults and 2 children!
My husband, our two small children and I live in a...
azotova87