Need Paint Advice for New Master
Fern Dahlstrom
We're building a new home but taking existing duvet and furniture. Duvet is brand new. We currently have a cream, "shabby" iron bed and cream, distressed furniture. Looking for feedback on color(s) for master bed and master bath. So, do we do the entire room (and into the bath) a light celadon or light aqua? Or simply an accent wall with a slightly darker shade on the wall with the bed? Or another color? Are accent walls passe? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
hayleydaniels
I like accent walls, and if you do too, don't be afraid to have one. It's your house, and you're the one who has to like how the room feels.

As far as color, I'd get swatches for the two colors you're thinking about, but instead of matching them to your duvet, I'd get some paint samples of a shade darker and see how that looks. Get some poster board or a small piece of sheetrock that is sold in the paint section for wall repair to try your samples on, and see how you like them. Move them around the room to see how the light at different times of the day impacts them.
April 21, 2014 at 7:59am        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
Warner Decor
I agree with hayleydaniels, accent walls are great! I think that I wold go with maybe a yellow from your bedspread. Sometimes it is helpful to get an accent piece or two in the color you are thinking about using to see how you like it in the area. Here are a few that may help you in your decision making process:
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/yellow-ribbed-lumbar-pillow-with-buttons/
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/belle-and-june/parker-stripe-pillow/
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/belle-and-june/basic-elements-pillow-sun-set-of-2/
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/belle-and-june/basic-elements-pillow-gold-set-of-2/

Hope this helps!
April 21, 2014 at 8:11am        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
Studio Boise, LLC
You seem to have an almost shabby chic style, so maybe you can run with that. I think shabby chic is best when it's full out, meaning everything looks like an overexposed photo with many shades of cream.
Since you have a colorful duvet that you want to keep, let that be your only strong color, and chose just one color from the duvet, like the pink or green, and paint the walls a white with just the slightest hint of that color. If you go as far as replacing picture frames with all cream and white and white/gray frames, keep one or two little ones in the accent color from the duvet.
For example: Sunnyside Road Residence Bathroom In this photo they brought out pink with the flowers on the vanity and repeated a very washed out version of pink on the ottoman and chair.
Carlisle House This uses whites everywhere, but lets the pink zebra rug remain as the only loud color.
April 21, 2014 at 8:24am        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
Genevieve
you could match the paint to the yellow of the flowers

April 21, 2014 at 8:45am        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
I like Studio Boise reccommendations, particularly the Sunnyside Road Residence one
April 25, 2014 at 2:05pm        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
kpappal
I think your cream colored furniture would be lovely against aqua walls, as opposed to yellow walls. The aqua is a relaxing color and goes well with the shabby chic theme or feel of the room. I think I'd paint the bathroom the same color as the bedroom, or a shade darker or lighter, depending on how much light you have in there.
April 25, 2014 at 4:02pm        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
Fern Dahlstrom
kpappal, good feedback thank you! We were kind of leaning toward the aqua.
April 25, 2014 at 4:11pm     
kpappal
Fern, we have ivory colored bedroom furniture and my walls are a medium gray. I love that aqua, it is so fresh looking, and very popular right now.i think it is an easy color to work with when adding accessories too.
April 25, 2014 at 4:56pm        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
Jenny Strong
One of my favourite colours is similar to Quiet Moments 1563 by Benjamin Moore. See Houzz

I feel something like this or half strength might go well. I like your duvet and bed.
April 26, 2014 at 4:07am        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
maarivekki
hello, i had my bedroom walls painted in wisteria color since the very beginning, and then came vintage, white-ish hand painted items of furniture with seafoam details. When we finally bought a new bed, of course it had to be white. (ceiling and windows are white too). it's ten years now and I've never grown tired of this combination, so I'd really suggest you go for it! personally I like the greenish nuance in your duvet more than the others (the aqua nuance could be used in the bathroom!)
April 26, 2014 at 11:21am      Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
mariaed
that bedspread is soooo lovely!
I would recommend not going with an accent wall. I think that often has a feeling of jarring and in a bedroom I think restful is better.
I think painting all walls the same colour wouldbe very nice. I would go fairly pale if you go aqua. I think the celedon and yellow are also nice.
I think white will make your headboard disappear.
April 26, 2014 at 2:47pm        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
chookchook2
Any colour from the duvet.
April 26, 2014 at 3:17pm        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
Patty Scott
Have to repeat mariaed's advice, also another pro earlier in the thread urged a full on shabby chic palette of washed out colors...very restful & chic.
April 26, 2014 at 3:59pm        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
laurakdesigns
Beautiful colors-- love them! An obvious choice is to pull the blues out and go with that. However, I think a really rich look would be to take the twig color from the duvet and use that. I think it will make your colors pop more.

Cape Hatteras-- More neutral, but plays off the "twig" color
Looks gorgeous with turquoise
Elegant living room

Ideas for blues-- go for the tone on tone of the two shades if aqua in your duvet

Woodlawn blue
Woodlawn Blue HC-147 by Benjamin Moore
Palladian blue-- it's a great color
Timothy De Clue Design

Whitestone http://houzz.com/discussions/950814

Idea for bath
Rhine River 689 by Benjamin Moore

It would also be very pretty to coordinate in the bath...for example, paint the cabinets aqua, etc.
April 26, 2014 at 5:06pm        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
searching4bliss
I've pulled together two quick pics with the blue and yellow from your bedspread.
April 26, 2014 at 5:16pm        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
rosiegabby
Valspar withered moss is a pretty color. It would go with your duvet. You could get a lighter tint.

We used that in my daughters room.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/221661612883686527/
April 26, 2014 at 5:18pm        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
You have a lot of the same. You headboard is almost invisible. I suggest a dark wall. i can’t name a color in particular as monitors are fickle. Something like this:

Ben Moore incense stick.
April 26, 2014 at 5:41pm        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
chookchook2
Judy Gs monitor eloped with her printer and sent a postcard from the Bahamas.
April 26, 2014 at 5:44pm     
Fern Dahlstrom
Thanks everyone! I so appreciate the feedback. I have another situation posted if you want to take a look at that one as well. Lots of advice needed I guess :) http://www.houzz.com/discussions/950828/Thoughts-on-new-Great-Room-Kitchen-Colors
April 26, 2014 at 6:40pm     
tkilgore
I once used a very soft pink in my master, and it was just enough color to make the room sort of glow, and my husband even liked it. It is also very neutral, so even if you changed out your duvet, it would still work. Your duvet has a soft pink, and you could use the aqua as an accent color. I love the shabby chic look, very inviting!
April 27, 2014 at 6:47am        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
pivoines
Paint the whole room not just an accent wall, it will give you a more coherent effect and will be more restful , it will be lovely in aqua, go for it.
April 27, 2014 at 8:23am        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
loves2read
Paint the ceiling as well in softer tone of the walls

what are you doing in the bathroom???
If this is adjoining you need to take into account color choices and finishes there as well--you want an integrated look...

I too thought the pink would be nicer contrast against the blue/aqua of the bedding...
Consider painting the headboard in stronger tint and leaving rest of furniture white...
April 27, 2014 at 8:34am        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
I think a very pale gray, like the lightest leaves in your duvet would be lovely, versatile, updated and a great direction in the bath as well.
April 27, 2014 at 8:44am        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
laurakdesigns
When I suggested the twig color, it was to give some contrast to everything you have going on. If you go too dark you will lose the beautiful feel of you room. JudyG's suggested color is way too dark you'll be in a cave.
April 27, 2014 at 8:46am        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
Fern Dahlstrom
Here is the floor plan for upstairs including master bed and bath. We will carry the color through to the bath. Peidrafina (sp?) choices are standard counter tops and surrounds in the bath. We'll most likely go with a creamy color (crema del mar perhaps) and cream or white ceramic floors.
April 27, 2014 at 8:56am   
chookchook, my monitor is so fickle it won’t make it to the altar with the printer. Just a quick assignation and it will be back home.
April 27, 2014 at 12:41pm     
Exactly what I had in mind…cave like, quiet and restful:

April 27, 2014 at 12:44pm     
rainymorning
A coral wall would be very attractive.
April 27, 2014 at 3:32pm      Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
armygirl1987
Try restful from behr.
April 27, 2014 at 3:41pm        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
Winward Designs
I think a lighter color would be an inviting way to complement the wonderful shabby chic look you have going on with the duvet but be sure it does not make your white headboard become invisible. We have recommended our designer's favorite Spring 2014 trend colors in our most recent blog post. You're more than welcome to come check it out!
April 27, 2014 at 6:35pm      Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
playaazul
I love the bedding. I like aqua or the green
April 27, 2014 at 7:25pm        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
Eileen
Anything new to share with us?
June 13, 2014 at 7:16pm   
Fern Dahlstrom
Well, we got two samples and painted some poster board as someone suggested. Neither looked right. Behr Ice Cube and Celery Ice. Still looking...
June 13, 2014 at 8:50pm   
Fern, Behr has great paint but not such great colors. They will closely match both ben moore and sherwin williams colors i think - ask if that is the easy paint supply in your town. May I suggest two alternatives to your original plan?

One, though I am generally an aqua booster, given the quantity of color in your quilt, I think that a pale green would be more neutral and restful. Also, I want to suggest that you find a creamy plain off-white coverlet or duvet cover and you fold the colorful quilt or duvet into thirds across the foot of the bed - pull it up for naps or cool nights but let it be a smaller element visually in the room. These two steps will give you the look you were seeking. Keep the great aqua sheets and turn them down . . . aqua and this shade of green will compliment each other greatly.

In the bath, do not use green as it will not be flattering to the face . . but stick to a deeper cream . . off white there. . . dark cream stone if you haven't chosen, and paint to match . . something like timid white , powder sand, . . .

So for the greens to test, make the trip to the ben moore store or have behr match bm chamelon - this is a green with a lot of yellow http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/chameleon
that makes it feel sunny and sweet . . . the celadon you've been looking for . . .

This is a color palette that can flow throughout the house . . . choose a lovely creamy off white in the bath (echoing the furniture in the master like bm timid white). . . down stairs . .test bm glazed green for all the public spaces . . . . living/dining/entry as a neutral yet cottage like backdrop for chocolate toned casework and white trim and wood floors and lovely colorful rugs . .
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/chameleon http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/glazedgreen
June 13, 2014 at 9:43pm        Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom
lcmg
I think a yellow based light cream would be pretty, but not *too* yellow as is is a bedroom and the color will reflect on it's self and intinsify a bit.
June 13, 2014 at 9:51pm   
Need Paint Advice for New Master
We're building a new home but taking existing duvet...
Need paint color advice for master bedroom
Canu recommend Benjamin Moore paint colors to tach...
Need advice on paint color for Master Bedroom
We have dark green stained Ethan Allen country style...
Need Paint Color Advice for Master Bedroom
We are trying to select a paint color for our master...
Need advice on master bedroom re: paint/wallpaper ideas
Just moved into our new house and are having trouble...
Privacy for Guests using Murphy Bed
We've been invited to redesign a Grand Rapids condo...
Fireplace Frustration
Hi! Looking for suggestions on what to do with this...
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...
Architect - just drawings or for project management?
We're building a new construction and are really trying...