dining room dilemma
Tricia GApril 21, 2014
I'm trying to update our once formal dining room to be more family friendl casual. We would like a place that does double duty as dining room slash kids do homework or art to gathering place for friends. we eat all of our meals here as well. In trying to get more casual we sold our dark wood table and chairs but still have a dark buffet and mirror. we bought restoration hardware table and chairs but not sure if I love them, maybe need new rug to match better. trying to decide on keeping the table or not, and not sure if it is too big for the space. Thanks for your help! please see second picture just realized first doesnt show much but don't know how to change it.
varonjy
I think all you need is another rug, everything else is natural, so it will fit together.
if your kids like drawing, you could replace the photographs with their drawings.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Tricia G    April 21, 2014 at 12:35PM
    Bookmark   Thanked by Tricia G    April 21, 2014 at 12:49PM
S&K Interiors
I can't tell for sure, but the table doesn't look too large. If you have the space, maybe adding some host/hostess chairs on the ends using a bit of the dark would could be a nice tie in with the buffet. I would do an upholstered chair if so. Maybe the legs and fabric could be on the darker side to tie it all together. I think the rug could work if you had room for the host/hostess chairs-could bring some of the coloring in the rug in the fabric on the chairs. From the photos it looks like your mirror could be lowered a bit (center of the mirror should be about eye level for an average height person) and also the chandelier should be around 30" off the table if possible. I would add a buffet lamp to the buffet, if not 2 of them on either end. A centerpiece on dining table and accessories for buffet and "your done"! :-) Hope this helps!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Tricia G    April 21, 2014 at 12:50PM
HI -- I think the table and chairs are great . Maybe just add a more casual carpet . Something that is a sisal or something that looks like that . Restoration Hardware has the carpets you need , the ones with the edge borders .Also consider getting a better/bigger and longer light fixture . Hang the mirror vertical and more to one side and then add two stacked pictures beside to make it more interesting and hang a little lower . Get a pair of upholstered chair for the ends of the table , moving the extra chairs , to each side of the buffet .
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Tricia G    April 21, 2014 at 2:50PM
oneofeleven
If I were to make this room more family/kid friendly I'd brighten the wall colours, take down the sheer curtain and a colourful rug that will hide the dirt and announce, "this room is for having fun in" Big Garden Printed Rug
NuLoom Vintage-Inspired Over-Dyed Rug, Turquoise
'Bria' Floral Rug
just a few ideas, I love your table and chairs.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Tricia G    April 21, 2014 at 4:21PM
Chairish
Hi Tricia,
You have a lot of great items to start here. We have some suggestions for changing the furnishings in a way that we think will brighten the space up while making it a little more casual and fun for both adults and kids. If your main goal is to make this room a place to both gather with friends and family and have the kids doing homework here daily, we would keep the large table you have. We also like the idea of removing the curtains to let more natural light in. The neutral wall color you have in there is nice!

You could add a darker but more patterned rug that will make the space more colorful but keep you from worrying about spilling on the floor. We love vintage Persians for adding color and pattern, so something like this could work: http://shop.chairish.com/collections/rugs-and-floor-coverings/products/vintage-persian-style-rug

We are also fans of mixing different types of seating around a table to make the dining area a little more dynamic. We could see a bench along one edge of the table, which is great for the kids to sit on to do work but also means you can squeeze more than 3 people along that side of the table if you have a lot of guests over for dinner! Something like this adds a bit of industrial edge but doesn't feel heavy: http://shop.chairish.com/products/wood-steel-locker-room-bench

We would keep 3 of the chairs you already have along the other edge, and put a pair of different chairs at the heads of the table. We love these, they're classic: http://shop.chairish.com/products/eames-style-side-chairs-in-white-a-pair

Then we'd suggest adding either one or a matching pair of lamps to the buffet to add some more lighting, which is not only important for atmosphere but for the kids while they do work. We like either of these: http://shop.chairish.com/collections/lighting/products/mid-century-travertine-wood-lamps-a-pair or http://shop.chairish.com/products/indigo-chicken-feather-lamp

If you're really looking to punch the space up, you could hang a pendant light that is a little more unusual than what you've got now. How about something like this? http://shop.chairish.com/collections/chandelier-and-pendant-lamps/products/mid-century-frosted-glass-chandelier

The final touch would be to add a cool textile in the form of a runner to the tabletop, which will make the table look nice both when you are setting it to dine and when it is free and clear of all clutter! http://shop.chairish.com/products/bev-hisey-die-cut-river-rock-table-runner-in-cream

Best of luck to you! All the hand-picked, pre-owned items above, along with thousands others, are available for sale on our site, shop.chairish.com. You're sure to be inspired, so take a look!

XOXO
Team Chairish
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 11:58AM
Tricia G
Thanks for these amazing suggestions all. Agree I need to change out the rug and will look for another light fixture, move the mirror down. If I remove the curtain what do you suggest as a replacement, the room doesnt get much light and the view is of an alley so not much of a view.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 4:37PM
Dining Room Dilemma
So I purchased some new wall art and a new center piece,...
leestep
Dining Room Dilemma!
I want a dramatic, somewhat glam look with a dash of...
stlacy
Dining Room Dilemma
We have a duplex townhome. The only room that is without...
aprosser
Dining Room Dilemma
I hired an a non professional to stain and re varnish...
Carole Gilling
Living Space and dining room dilemma
Me and my husband just moved to Geneva Switzerland...
mbebawy
ktichen help
Light colored cabinets and black counter tops...what...
jewhitt
Layout of kitchen
Will take out old built in. Move sink below window....
222612
Design disaster
Tried to change my bathroom but made it worse. I want...
Abby Donolo
Would 36" clearance around island be too cramped?
We are completely remodeling the kitchen on a home...
mshutterbug
Living room redo
We are redoing our living room, paint, new furniture,...
megkantar