Where to put floating shelves
Dominique Fraser
Our landlord has allowed us to put up two floating shelves in the living room, as we're not allowed to put other things on the walls. So here are my questions:

1) Should we get white shelves or add some colour?

2) Should we put the shelves above the book case or on the wall behind the couch?

3) Should we get two that are the same length or different lengths to make it more interesting?

Thank you!!
www.newjerseyaccents.com
There's a few downsides to floating shelves. 1st, they don't hold a lot of weight. If you're planning on putting books on them, they're really not the kind of shelf you want. From my experience, these shelves have a tendency to hang slanted from the wall to the front of the shelf even when fastened to wall studs. If you can't hit a wall stud when you position the shelf, you'll have to use some kind of wall anchor and have even less of a chance of having a stable shelf. You can drill additional holes in the brackets to match up with the studs, like I did, but I still wasn't happy with the outcome. Maybe you can find something interesting to support the shelves on top of the book shelf instead, and save your few chances for making holes in the wall for art.
April 22, 2014 at 2:03am   
Dominique Fraser
Thanks for your advice; maybe we can have some pro install them for us or, as you said, try to find some alternative way..
April 22, 2014 at 11:44pm   
Desperate for decorating advice for family room!
We bought this house because of this gorgeous family...
Empty kitchen - new possibilities
We just got an allotment garden house! The next challenge...
Is bathtub a must in a master bathroom
We are redoing our master bathroom. 1) we can put...
modern round dining table 45 inches or less?
Hi, Advice on where to find a round dining table for...
Shower Curtain for small bathroom
I've recently painted this small bathroom an off white...