You know you're from the DMV (DC/MD/VA) if...
Jessica
April 22, 2014 in Other
Fill in the blanks with something related to living in the DC metro area.

...if you dread the top outer loop of the Beltway during morning rush hour.
...if you go to Ben's Chili Bowl for your celebrity sitings.
...if your celebrity sitings contain more Senators and Congressmen than entertainers.
...if you recognize that what Greenbelt, MD, Columbia, MD, and Reston, VA, have in common is that they were planned communities.

1 Like   Thanked by Jessica    April 22, 2014 at 1:39PM
bungalowmo
You're totally cool with living an hour from work to be able to afford a single family home.
2 Likes   Thanked by Jessica    April 22, 2014 at 1:40PM
unwantedadvice
If you are a government worker in DC and it starts to snow.
3 Likes   Thanked by Jessica    April 22, 2014 at 2:49PM
bungalowmo
You rethink your relocation when you've been here less than one week & the snipers start 3 weeks of chaos! Oh...and your company has you traveling in a white panel truck.
2 Likes   Thanked by Jessica    April 22, 2014 at 3:23PM
ispoildogs
...you can take the subway to another state
...it can sometimes take 30 minutes to drive 3 miles on 66, no matter the time of day
..."I got stuck behind a motorcade" is a valid excuse for being late
4 Likes   Thanked by Jessica    April 22, 2014 at 3:27PM
Jessica
If the term contractor initially makes you think of government contracts not construction.
2 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 3:28PM
Jessica
If you are blocked from getting to work because of the latest group of protesters, million whatever march, occupy whatever.... and naked people protesting for animal rights don't get a second glance.
1 Like   April 22, 2014 at 3:43PM
Jessica
If you get the day off for Emancipation Day.
1 Like   April 22, 2014 at 3:43PM
Jessica
If your boss or their boss changes every time the election goes to the other political party because they are an appointee.
3 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 3:47PM
Jessica
1 Like   April 22, 2014 at 3:53PM
Jessica
Going to the mall doesn't always mean shopping.
2 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 3:58PM
bungalowmo
OMG....forgot about the "no pants day"!!
2 Likes   Thanked by Jessica    April 22, 2014 at 5:27PM
bungalowmo
You know what NoVa Knee is & if you've ever had a manual transmission...you've had it!
1 Like   Thanked by Jessica    April 22, 2014 at 5:28PM
bungalowmo
If you've ever read "The Hot Zone", you'll never allow yourself to live or work in Reston! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hot_Zone
1 Like   Thanked by Jessica    April 22, 2014 at 5:32PM
Jessica
Bungalowmo I just moved to Reston, but no fears here. A friend of mine at work (NIH) is the world's leading authority on Ebola and related viruses.
1 Like   April 22, 2014 at 5:55PM
Jessica
I guess only design dilemmas show up if you're just browsing by clicking "advice" at the top of the page. Kinda disappointing more people aren't jumping in and adding their 2c worth but I guess they just don't ever click the "Other" option on the side of the page.
2 Likes   April 23, 2014 at 5:54AM
bungalowmo
I know what you mean. You started this post from the California post, but I don't recall how I even found that. Wasn't looking in "other". Hmmmmmm

So...had you ever read the book? Scary stuff! I work just south of there in Herndon....but live out in Fro Ro! haha
1 Like   Thanked by Jessica    April 23, 2014 at 9:19AM
Jessica
Actually that California post was started by Emily Hurley under the design dilemma heading. Since I've lived in Maryland (born & raised), Virginia ( 2 yrs of boarding academy, 1 yr in Richmond, just moved to Reston in Feb.), California (4 yrs while ex was in med school), Michigan (4 yrs of college), Mississippi (6 yrs while ex was in residency and getting started) and spent significant amounts of time visiting grandparents in Pennsylvania, Florida and Kentucky, I have fun with that sort of thread. What do you do for a living? I work at the NIH in Bethesda with a bunch of brain surgeons although I'm a computer nerd myself.
1 Like   April 23, 2014 at 9:34AM
unwantedadvice
Hi. We lived just outside of Alexandria during the Carter term and just into the beginning of Reagan's term. I loved it and was my favorite place to live during my hubby's military career. The schools were fantastic and Northern Virginia at the time had the highest per-capita income. Holla!

I mentioned the snow because there was a "tongue n cheek" article in the Star about the poor government worker trapped in DC and it was going to snow and the poor thing couldn't decide what to do, flee or stay the night!!

My other favorite were the drivers coming toward the beltway and not getting off on the correct off-ramp to the correct state. Many times there would be cars backing up to get to the off-ramp, usually someone from New York! No offense to anyone from New York!! LOL

And speaking of New York, we had only been in Virginia a very short time when we needed some minor welding done to something and the guy was going to charge us more because he thought we had a New York license plate. Ha ha That just killed me, talk about ROFL!
2 Likes   Thanked by Jessica    April 23, 2014 at 2:58PM
pegjustpeg
Bungalowmom, you prob found this thread on right hand side of dilemmas. They put other threads from diff places on Houzz there that may be of interest. ((:
2 Likes   Thanked by Jessica    April 23, 2014 at 3:04PM
Jessica
Now I know we have more than 5 people from the mid-atlantic on Houzz.... anyone else want to chime in?
1 Like   April 25, 2014 at 7:53AM
bungalowmo
I'm a Michigan transplant...via Pennsylvania.

Lived in Flint, MI until I was 28, moved to the Lehigh Valley from 86 to 2002, then moved to VA to work for a Pro Audio Visual company (think white panel truck), then left there to work as A/V Engineer for the Army Materiel Command. They used to be in Alexandria but moved to Ft. Belvoir. That was early '03 thru '06. After that, moved to the TSA Op Center. Cannot believe I've been here almost 8 years!

Been interesting living in this area. Met some amazing people! Found my Old House & planted myself firmly in that place. Lord willing...I'll die with those keys in my hand! Just like all the generations before me :0)
1 Like   Thanked by Jessica    April 28, 2014 at 2:21PM
bungalowmo
We need to find some more folks to add to our little mixed bag here!
1 Like   Thanked by Jessica    April 28, 2014 at 2:23PM
Jessica
Yes indeed!
   April 29, 2014 at 2:50AM
lindseeey
I like
1 Like   Thanked by Jessica    May 7, 2014 at 9:52AM
Kelly D
Jessica - i love that you call the metro a subway ;-) i called it that too when first began my commute from Southern Maryland to DC and was quickly schooled! lol
   May 8, 2014 at 5:03PM
Kelly D
bungalowmo - where in PA? I grew up in Latrobe
   May 8, 2014 at 5:04PM
Furniture Assembly Services DC,MD,VA We repair what your husband fixed
“You’ll break your back like that, you know.”...
I Want A Custom Office/Closet by DC/VA/MD Proffesional
I always see lovely office/closets on Houzz, but can...
You know you're spoiling your kids...
When you actually renovate and landscape their playhouse!!!...
Kitchen splashback ideas???? HELP!!!
We have just painted our entire downstairs and finally...
How should I use this blank space?
There is about 6-8 feet of space from couch to back...
Kitchen back splash help please!
I'm having a very hard time choosing a back splash-...
Curb Appeal
Looking to add some interest to our old house built...
Are these cracks in my Quartzite???
Hi all. My wife and I are currently building our home...