Please help me with my dining room
Cristina Lo
April 22, 2014
Hello, I don't want to have a combined dining and living, and want to maximize it as a dinning room instead.
I'm attaching pictures of how the model home has it, dinning and living combined, and also the floor plan so you guys can see the actual measurements. I'm afraid it'd be way too big for just a dinning table, but what if i incorporate a buffet and maybe a small sitting area by the window? should i put a table vertically (like the green box i drew on the floor plan)? and where would be buffet go? against wall? any suggestions will be appreciated.
Please help, i want to have a modern / contemporary look but at the same time not too cold.
Thank you
Joyce Yin Architect
Hi Christina,

I think Dining/ Sitting Area combo can work. If you guys have lots of books, I'd offer up Dining/ Library & Reading Area too.

Yes, get a big table and rug and turn it like you've shown. You might have to move the chandelier to center on the table.

You could do:
1. big long buffet against the wall
2. wall-to-wall buffet-height low cabinets (maybe stained wood) with artwork on wall above
3. wall-to-wall buffet-height low cabinets + tall shelves for books/display objects opposite the half wall. Whole unit should be same material and look like it's one design. I can't find a picture of what I'm envisioning right now.
4. Seats or chaise in the bay window maybe with another small rug and side table, or
5. Built-in bench taking up whole bay with upholstered cushion over bench and big pillows so you can lay on it. I've got more ideas about this one to make it a beautiful and cozy nook, but I see window sill may be too low for built-in idea.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 2:21PM
Cristina Lo
Thank you Joyce. I love your ideas, love the idea of a built in bench too but wouldn't that take the elegance away from the room? It's the first thing people see when they come in, so i want it to be as neat/beautiful as possible lol
I thing i will go with the buffet against the wall, the table would not hide it,
right? Just saying as it'll be in the back of it
    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 5:44PM
Joyce Yin Architect
I'd say built-in can be elegant. It's more an issue of use. Ideally, the built-in nook would be a beautiful cozy space, where you can read, hang out, even nap. In that case, you'd naturally want a bit more private area. Depending on how close to the street you are or how comfortable you are with public display (I've been shocked with the differences in people's limits), you might not want to use it that way.

Using the bay as a small sitting area is a great way to go too. Just watch that you're not designing the area to be so elegant that people don't actually use it. I've seen a lot of cases of "too pretty to use" spaces.

The idea I have for the built-in is designing itself in my mind and I'm really liking it! If you have another bay in the house or in a bedroom, let me know. I'd love for someone to make it real!

Good luck Cristina!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Cristina Lo    April 23, 2014 at 8:45AM
Cristina Lo
Any more ideas guys? would like to bring more options to my husband :)
    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 12:02PM
Designs By Meryem
I would push the dining table and chairs closer to the window and put the buffet closer to the kitchen. The buffet area then can be used as a butler area.
Do you currently have a dining room set that you are going to use in your space?
    Bookmark   Thanked by Cristina Lo    April 24, 2014 at 12:23PM
Cristina Lo
Thank you Meryem, that means using the whole room as a dinning room, right? no seating or reading area, etc. I don't have have a dinning room set yet, but i really like a glass top table i saw with two wooden tree-log-look-alike legs, and it's 79" long. I wish i had a pic of it but they didn't let me take one.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 12:28PM
Designs By Meryem
Yes, you will be using the whole room as a dining room. I will get back to you with a space plan that will show you the layout.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Cristina Lo    April 24, 2014 at 12:35PM
Cristina Lo
I really appreciate it, looking forward to it
    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 12:56PM
Designs By Meryem
Cristina, I think that a table that is 79" long can sit comfortably 6 people and will look too small in your space. You probably need a longer table that will sit 8 people, and I will go with 86" length. I did a quick layout to show you how small a 79" table will look in your space.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Cristina Lo    April 24, 2014 at 1:20PM
Cristina Lo
Thanks for the drawing, this is of great guidance. Yeah if i were to use the whole space as a dining room, 79" does look small, I might have to consider an 86" like you said. And i just put nothing in front of the buffet?
    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 1:50PM
Designs By Meryem
I think that you first need to find the dining set that you really like. That should be your starting point, then a rug and a chandelier, maybe some window treatments, and a buffet. I hope this helps you.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Cristina Lo    April 24, 2014 at 3:05PM
Cristina Lo
It totally does, thank you so much again
    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 3:15PM
1 Like    Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 6:45PM
lisaclough
@cristinalo, where did you get your dining chairs? They are fabulous!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 7:16PM
Cristina Lo
Hi Lisa, this is the model home so i don't know where they purchased them, sorry about that
    Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 6:21AM
Cristina Lo
    Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 8:44AM
anne dee
simple elegant contemporary DR ref for furniture placement
Wimbledon Hill Park, London
Green Design in CT
where the FP is located in this ef pic you could have a buffet
2 chairs and table at the window
Pelham Renovation
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Cristina Lo    July 21, 2014 at 9:45AM
Cristina Lo
Thanks Anne, i love the setting on the last picture
1 Like    Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 10:17AM
Cristina Lo
Any suggestions as to where to buy nice and hopefully not too expensive dinning sets in Toronto?
    Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:14PM
anne dee
I'm not sure of yr price point or style preference
You could google the following for style and prices ?
the following carry popular price points
Arrow furniture
structube
Leon's (big box store)
Home Sense sometimes have table and chair coordinates (you need to go daily to find the best items)
Pier 1
have fun!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 3:50PM
Cristina Lo
Thanks Anne. I still need to check Arrow furniture out, Structube doesn't have much to choose from, Piers 1 import is actually a good choice, a while back i sae something that i like and the price was not bad, gotta go back. Thanks Anne
    Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 7:29PM
Help me update/accessorize my dining room.
Please help me update/accessorize my dining room, but...
msrmom
Please help me with my living/dining room.
Hi everyone, We just move in to this house and brought...
Tx mama
Help me make my dining room fun
Every time we have a party, people hang out in the...
atromper
Please help me punch up my dining room
I just added a great Ethan Allen table and chairs to...
lbaughman
please help me figure out my tiny dining room and finishing my condo
i have a very small dinning room are it measures 62...
jannnnn
redo small breakfast room that flows off a traditional kitchen,
we are thinking counter height table, using black and...
wbgross
Need new dining chairs and cabinet, as well as wall art ideas. Thx!!
Looking to replace dining chairs for this area...old...
sjasfurlong
Suggestions for wall colour please
Hihi! I want to paint the walls in this space and I'm...
dupss
Need urgent help with my living room
The living room is painted light pink with grey. The...
panaga
Master bath remodel what you guys think?
should i put glass enclosures or not?
Manny Rosario