POLL: What is your yard like?

Emily HurleyApril 22, 2014
What is the current state of affairs for your own backyard?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!
It's perfect. I'd live outside if I could.
It needs some work, but it's getting there.
OMG. Don't even ask.
kathleen MK
This winter was rough on some of the plants but my irises, roses and azaleas are finally blooming.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 22, 2014 at 6:09PM
printesa
Both front yard and back yard are being redone. The project is under way,,trees are in, flower beds are defined and some plants are in, veggie raised beds are soon to be done, irrigation coming up (the previous one from the front yard was totaled with this redesign), the walkway is being extended to the backyard..so yeah,,things are moving along. All should be done in about a week if all goes well. Next month we should have a pergola over part of the patio so I can get some plants going up and a vertical garden on one side...The pots on the patio have nothing in them yet,,,the weather on the East Coast was not very friendly and I can't get anything in until I know that there is no more frost (we had 30F last week during the night).
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 22, 2014 at 6:33PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
My back yard is literally a forest on a steep sand dune. Because of regulations I can not do anything with it except watch the wildlife.
9 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 22, 2014 at 7:22PM
cabingirl13
Spring has finally arrived in WI so we have green grass poking up- yeah! We also have numerous trees and branches blocking trails that came down over the winter that need to be cut up for firewood (7 acres of woods out back). We also have a huge pile of stuff to be burned in the bonfire one of these days when the weather cooperates. Trees are just starting to bud here and a few of the day lilies are poking up too.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 22, 2014 at 7:31PM
einportlandor
I'm in year four of my ten year garden redo. My dream
is to transform my small, neglected, weed-infested city lot into my private oasis. It's coming along nicely if I do say so myself. Given my aging body and limited budget it's a major challenge but there's nothing I'd rather do.

Right now my trees are all in various stages of leafing out, with my beautiful little paperbark maple bringing up the rear. My hostas are shooting up toward the sky and the ferns are starting to unfurl. The blueberries I put in the ground last year are flowering. I have new flower beds waiting for plants, which requires multiple trips to nurseries and plant sales. I love spring!
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 22, 2014 at 8:56PM
Sustainable Dwellings
The natural scape is gorgeous right now * Dogwoods, Redbuds, Wild Plum, but we are working on the landscape around the house.... Plans for hostas, lavender and clary sage... miles of it in a large bed, some oakleaf hydrandgeas, clematis, and ornamental grass here and there along the drive up to the horsebarn.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 22, 2014 at 9:01PM
Jo Starr
I live in an undeveloped private land "island" in the middle of the Coconino National Forest in Arizona. Our "yard" is a large gravel area and we park right in front of the house. There's a shed that houses the solar equipment with panels on top, and a makeshift box for the backup generator. Down a slight slope is the dogs' yard (we have 3 big dogs). The back yard is fenced and shaded, and we have chickens (meaning a not-very-attractive coop). I want to make our yard more attractive, but beyond planting flowers and pretty bushes immediately in front of the house, I have NO CLUE where to begin! It doesn't help that we basically have NO budget. :(
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 23, 2014 at 3:27AM
rredpenn
Our's took a beating this last winter too...but we are embarking on a DIY retaining wall project that no doubt will take all summer. Realistically, I am hoping to be able to reseed the lawn areas this fall. It won't be the prettiest place until we are finished with the hardscaping, but it needs to be done.

Whoever thought railroad ties were the best thing for retaining walls??? ugh!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 23, 2014 at 5:15AM
jn3344
Believe it or not I still have a mound of snow and road gravel right out front. And the back got the snow mold bad so it's looking really trashed. Heavy snow broke off many limbs that need to be cleaned up. Too bad I can't just take it all out back and shoot it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 23, 2014 at 5:25AM
Evans Woodworking Inc
i voted "its perfect" but that's very subjective... I happen to like acres of overgrown native San Diego fauna, buzzing with insects and critters.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 23, 2014 at 10:08AM
judyrud
Always a work in progress. Last summer I changed a lot: new front porch, replaced wood deck with stone patio, new walkways and a greenhouse. Now I'm still redoing pathways, watering system, etc. that had to be changed. Also planting vegetables in my new raised beds (made from the old cedar boards of the deck) and then there's the constant, never-ending weeding and pruning. Good thing I'm retired.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 11:06AM
mayflower
Our yard is very nice with a hot tub and a pool,we even have dog beds outside, because our dog loves the outdoors.

-ask Lady mayflowers mascot
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 2:52PM
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
I live in my backyard! And I am fortunate enough to be based in South Florida, so I get to enjoy it year round.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 2:58PM
c3burkes
My backyard has taken a beating the last 3 years - 3 big puppies digging holes, drought and diseased tree and a new tree that didn't take root.... sigh. BUT on Friday a new patio will be laid, the rest of the yard will be leveled out and I will be able to start landscaping... :- )
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 5:20PM
wyndyacre
I've been gardening on my acre property for 18 years now. I've gotten the flower beds cleaned up, the lawns raked and the trees and shrubs pruned for spring. In a few weeks it will look like this...photos taken last spring.
35 Likes    Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 5:35PM
rosecottagehome
wyndyacre your gardens are stunning and a tribute to your labor of love.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 6:36PM
Diane Kelley
I had my backyard basically in order until....a new garage for my husbands 65' Mustang! Now I have to move all the perennials and look at mounds of dirt! Oh what I could do with that dirt!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 6:41PM
Libbmom
My yard is a work in progress...I am recently retired so have much more time to devote to it...
8 Likes    Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 6:46PM
Marie Ryan
overgrown bushes, crabgrass for the lawn and a hill out bagck with a ton of leaves, and weeds that need to come out.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 10:56PM
We had sod installed last year and OMG it's still alive! It looks so much better than the mud and crabgrass we had. And we created this boardwalk Easter Sunday, all I have left to do is put the clear coat on.
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 1:46AM
hanknliza
Off of the bottom deck, we have a lawn, then a creek and then a farmer's field and then trees. With the Spring bonus of a returning beaver, egret and blue heron. Deer and coyotes and finches, oh my! Cardinals and ducks and geese (you get the idea)............... Priceless!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 2:41PM
printesa
I took some photos of the ongoing yard project and put them in an ideabook. Here is a link to it if anyone wants to see
Ideabook: Yard project · See Ideabook
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 5:44PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
I'm very happy with my backyard right now, mostly due to mother nature. Everything is in bloom and the roses smell heavenly.
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info

9 Likes    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 5:58PM
wyndyacre
Beautiful Charmean Neithart Interiors! I really love that large urn beside your chair.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 6:09PM
Fleischer + Khorrami Interior Design
We are in the process of redoing our front and backyard with a drought tolerant landscape.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 6:30PM
sstarr93
Well there's this barn, and a vegetable garden, and dogs...
9 Likes    Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 6:38PM
inpdx
We dethatched, demossed, aerated and re-seeded -- followed by days of torrential rain.
Would you like a mud pit?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 6:44PM
chloebud
We've really enjoyed ours since moving here last summer.
11 Likes    Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 7:22PM
jodyanns
My back yard is a 30plus year work in progress. So far it has a 3000 gallon koi pond with waterfalls and stream. Garden [ornamental] around the perimeter. A little grass. Trees, bushes a gazebo and 3 season screened porch. I would like to do more but not sure what it is.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 8:59AM
grobby
My yard is at it's best in Spring. The previous homeowner gave it a good start.
7 Likes    Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 11:50AM
dreamhomechicc
My parents rent, so we can't do anything to it :/
    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 3:07AM
dreamhomechicc
Wyndyacre, your garden is absolutely stunning! Fabulous job! :D
1 Like    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 3:12AM
shelleyuk
Ours is semi wooded and so can look lovely but also becomes overgrown very quickly. At the moment it is starved of attention and we will be getting out there over the next few weekends to tidy up.
7 Likes    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 3:17AM
sunnie2day
Ours is so horrible right now we're joke the council is going to say something soon! Still, the tulips are up and gorgeous and we promise to get it all sorted once that display is over:)

I'm only half kidding there about the state of our current landscape. We're 99.9% sure the previous owner used the old over-the-shoulder-during-unloading method of planting by tossing everything from the car boot over his shoulder and then planting where it landed - it's an awful mess out there that will require us to hire a crew of professionals to rearrange. Good plants, awful plantings!
    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 3:26AM
sandycangiano
I chose my house partially because it was small and partially because it had an extra building lot to accommodate the pups. But now, I have a serious dilemma. I have been waiting to have a horse chestnut tree removed (and sent to a farm--I don't want to chop it down). It's too big and oh so wrong for the space. (Here's a photo taken a few years ago.) The tree service kept promising they would come. So I bought a fringe tree to replace it. The following year they promised again; so I bought a smoke bush to replace it. The following year they promised again; so I bought a limelight hydrangea tree to replace it. Still not having learned my lesson, I bought a sunrise redbud, which is just coming into bloom in its pot. My yard is now dotted with these bushes/trees. There is no plan, no design! It's a holding pen for trees and shrubs. I need help!
9 Likes    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 6:16AM
sandycangiano
By the way, the photos above were taken before the substitute trees were planted.
    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 6:17AM
rosecottagehome
sandycangiano looks like you have things well under control in your beautiful yard!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 7:14AM
Geri Roth
My yard is 80% finished. I have a corner of the yard that I am going to pull out mature azalea bushes and put in a half circle of cement seating. I got the idea on Houzz. Finding the right contractor is a challenge. It is a wasted corner and if I have a party I will have a lot more seating. This year I planted about 50 lily bulbs and they are starting to bloom. I am taking out a large pine tree because I am afraid it is just to big and will fall over if we have
strong winds.
    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 7:30AM
mccooliest
What we've done so far looks great with the trex deck, paver courtyard and updated solar lights. But with the fire dangers here in Colorado, we are going to have to mitigate for fire danger which means probably giving up some of our local scrub oaks. Not that I love them, but they provide a great deal of privacy and are all around our neighborhood.

Our next big project will need to focus on reducing our water consumption as well. If we water with the new restrictions, our grass is always borderline burned and hard to enjoy. We will definitely need to reduce our watering zones which currently stands at 12, about 3 too many.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 8:51AM
mccooliest
forgot photos. I need to take more.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 9:02AM
rosiegabby
I'm from Ohio now living in Texas. It's nothing like Cleveland but the Texas Hill Country has its own unique beauty.

We have a little over an acre most of it not landscape. I hope we can do more with it but as is we enjoy it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 9:17AM
mccooliest
One more, even though this isn't the best image because it was taken from the safety of our family room. When these two visitor come, they can have our back yard. Never a dull moment when you're this close to nature.
10 Likes    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 9:18AM
chloebud
dpalarino, we've had those same furry visitors, too.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 9:32AM
I need to prune.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 12:02PM
granmajb
lol inpdx---sounds like my outdoor space! Open ditch with drainage system only half finished and rain, rain, rain. Wish I could say it looks like a landscape stream but that's not the case. One struggling Rhododendron and a few hardy dandelions surrounded by a mud hole, both front and back----bleah!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 4:42PM
DSC DesignWorks
My garden is full of native plants, herbs and veggies! The flowers are lovely to look at for most of the year. And the veggies are great when they are ready and fresh herbs make them divine!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 12:49PM
Lori B
We spent the Winter ripping everything out of our yard. 12 Giant trees were Cut down. It was a Jungle. Just finished re-setting the stones around the pool. Next week, a raised pool cover is finally being installed and the Patio is being extended. The pergola got a pressure wash and I got half of it sanded before the rain came. Now, it's a mud Pit outside.
    Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 12:43AM
archivesgirl
@Dpalarino, I hope your "visitors" at least chopped some of that wood. The nature in my backyard consists of ducks, variety of birds (tiny and huge), raccoons, possums, woodchucks, snakes (non-venomous) and lots of toads, bullfrogs and insects (the good, the bad and the ugly). Oh yes, and the stray cats who live here (3 of them). I think I would honest to God faint if I saw one of your "guests" in my yard. I thought I had nature but you have me beat.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 5:54PM
Melley Nelson Design
I keep hoping that someone secretly sends our backyard, big yard with a brook, into some "what not to landscape" HGTV show... our yard has remarkable potential but seemingly any money that we have spent on it just gets it wrong every time..... we need help, but also probably some moula.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 6:42PM
Tim Sarubbi
My modest Rochester NY yard is a work in progress. I have tried to use recycled material when possible. They include broken cement flooring as pavers and garden bed walls. Old decking made into fence, a metal fire door as a table top, vintage carriage house doors as privacy walls, old porch columns used free standing to define space, and old redwood beach boardwalk used as deck flooring. More to attack this season and looking forward to it!
5 Likes    Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 6:48PM
sandycangiano
Melley Nelson Design, I know how you feel. I keep going to Lowes in the hopes that someone will stop me and ask what I am buying and why and then tell me I have won the HGTV lottery! I would love to have someone come here and work some magic!.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 6:48PM
bungalowmo
Mine is slowly getting there. I have annuals along my fenceline & every couple years I thin it out & add them further down the fence. A few years ago I added a willow tree to my back yard & this year I added a Wisteria. My front flower beds are usually annuals & I have my "crazy cutting garden" by the back porch. Just planted that last weekend.

At work I have time to post. When I'm off, I'm outside. I really need to start snapping some photos!

Tomorrow....I pick up my riding mower! :0)
    Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 6:50PM
ajdecorating
I'm loving seeing pics of everyone's gardens coming alive for spring! I'm ready...LOVE spending time out on our patio when everything is starting to bloom!
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 8:56PM
ajdecorating
Wyndyacre....I'm in love with purple and green gardens!! Just beautiful!!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 9:04PM
bungalowmo
Finally got some photos!
One day I'll get rid of all the weeds...*sigh*
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 6:26AM
kaatc
bungalowmo, looks like you have some creeping charlie (round-leaved ground cover in the LP picture with the transcendantia?) in there! Good luck getting rid of that stuff! I've fought the good fight against it in a number of yards here in MN, with no luck. I've heard you can set it aflame and it'll still come back. If you ever get rid of it, please post your methods of success!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 9:34AM
donna obrien designs
I see a lot of beautiful gardens! This is my comfort zone after a long busy week. This has been a work in progress!
5 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 3:49PM
POLL: Which is your side of the bed?
People sometimes stake claims to their side of the...
POLL: Your October Checklist
What are your home plans for October? Vote and tell...
Houzz Polls
POLL: Which House Building Toy is your favorite?
Do you have fond memories of using toys for building...
POLL: Do you sleep with your windows open or closed?
Everyone has their own specific recipe for a great...
POLL: What's your Style?
Do you have a favorite design style? Tell us! Vote...
Houzz Polls
Re-use: Where do YOU keep all the tote bags?
Do you have a tote bag or grocery shopping station...
leata
help on how to decorate my room
dont know how to decorat and arrange my room
jessi4636
A Hare-y bedroom
Im about to embark on designing this bedroom. I have...
toatsmcgoats
Paint colors- urgent help needed!
On Monday, painters are coming to do our entire apartment....
domesticimpostor
Stuck in the kitchen
HELP!! My contractor tiled my kitchen counter tops...
1922soccer