Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovingtodecorate

Help make this sofa work...

lovingtodecorate
9 years ago
I had my eye on this fabulous sofa online. I received it yesterday and I love the sofa but hate how it looks in my home. Return shipping would be so expensive. Should I accept that I made a mistake and sell/return it or are there any ideas of how to make this room work?
-baby grand is old and beat up (1898)
-light fixture is modern
-10' ceiling
-current paint is light grey(BM Revere Pewter)
-mirror on floor is going away

I know I need big art above couch and I'd like to do a mirrored wall or big mirrors on the wall next to the windowed wall but I haven't found anything I like (and within budget).

Comments (57)

• PRO
    Rugs Done Right
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    There are lots of rug options on the market! Here are two that work with the colors you have now. But we are happy to find more if you know of an accent color you would like to utilize! Feel free to email us directly for immediate assistance - Online@rugsdoneright.com - Also we have coupon code HZ15 for an additional 15% off items for our Houzz community!

https://www.rugsdoneright.com/ProductDetail.asp?SKU_ID=60231&ImageName=GMN4008
    https://www.rugsdoneright.com/ProductDetail.asp?SKU_ID=28562&ImageName=SW12
    lovingtodecorate thanked Rugs Done Right
  • PRO
    HHI
    9 years ago
    If you are considering wallpaper (above wainscoting) you should go do that first and find what you love. There are so many beautiful wall covering available, especially large prints, which would really make a grand statement in this room. Then once you make your decision, it will be so much easier to select pillows, rugs, artwork, etc…. Also there are fabulous designer stencils on the market like this one I did in my own foyer.
  • resident
    9 years ago
    2 large beauties: Sofa and Baby G ... which is to get the attention? It seems to me that you have 2 definite statement pieces and a large artwork piece would be a 3rd. For the size of the room, cohesiveness is key. If you decide it should be the piano; put baby in the corner (lol-sorry), between the window and wall,with the player facing diagonally into the room. If it's to be the sofa, include the artwork and try (can't tell if it'll work don't from this photo perspective), move the sofa to the long wall to the rt. of window and the baby G to the right or left front corner; as you walk into the room. Player facing the corner. With the pieces as are now; opposite, it narrows the space. Adding then some reflective tables of glass/brass or chrome materials would then lighten it up the feel and highlight the other accessories you choose. Find a fabu rug. :)
  • aspengrovemanor
    9 years ago
    In reading the suggestions, I was more focused on the piano placement. The idea above from anaid to move the piano is good. With a grand of any size it's always preferable to have the lid opening facing the room as opposed to a wall or window, in the event that you open the piano (which is way more dramatic!) and put it on the short stick. Even if no one plays it, the piano just looks better that way with the curve outward. A rug will create balance, anchor the room and deaden the acoustic a bit.
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    I would like to see the sofa on the end wall, with the piano in the inside corner. Pianos don't do well on exterior walls (tuning), and it would seem more like the sofa would seat the "audience" better in that location.
  • annmarie2
    9 years ago
    I agree with Nancy Walton. That's an amazing sofa, and it can be the statement piece on the wall opposite doorway. Put piano facing into the corner to the right of the doorway. Yes, the person playing has their back to the room, but the music will flow nicely into the room, and whatever's behind the photographer.

Add a great rug , relatively small art above the sofa and one small scale chair at the left corner of the window and you might be done!
  • Stewart Stephenson
    9 years ago
    You can choose your favourite large colorful painting from thousands of available designs at Stewart Stephenson's online gallery:

http://www.stewartstephenson.com/online_gallery
    lovingtodecorate thanked Stewart Stephenson
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I moved the sofa and put an existing mirror above to try it. I like the sofa there but mirror doesn't work. The piano is too heavy to move. I'll have to get help once I'm sure where it should go.
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I played around with some area rugs that I had elsewhere in the house. Thoughts? Oh, and I can return the lamp. Thank you!
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Another mirror I had elsewhere for above sofa?

Chair is just temporary. Is this where piano should go? With keys facing sofa?
  • aspengrovemanor
    9 years ago
    If it fits, I would swivel the piano around to the corner across from your chair...hind leg stays in the same area, but the keys are now visible when you walk into the room with the opening of the piano toward the room, bench tucked into the corner. I know you have another little piece there, but maybe it would work somewhere else? I like the sofa on that wall!
    lovingtodecorate thanked aspengrovemanor
  • aspengrovemanor
    9 years ago
    Before moving a piano it's always a good idea to cut out a tarp or something the size and shape of it to try out the position in advance. If it doesn't fit, you know before you move it.
  • momcarole62
    9 years ago
    You have a beautiful room to work with!! I've had to work with having a baby grand in the living room of three houses now and they can be tricky to decorate with. I like your original placement of the sofa. I would just rotate the piano where it is, but put the back of the piano facing the corner with the keys facing the entrance to the room. Then possibly place a large painting on the back wall near the piano that pulls in the color of your sofa. The rugs suggested by Rugs Done Right are gorgeous too. Your on the right track with having an end table with a lamp on it at one end of the sofa ... just make sure that the lamp is not too small. Good luck ... it's going to be a beautiful room!
    lovingtodecorate thanked momcarole62
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    Try the mirror horizontally over the sofa. That larger one would look good hung that way.
    lovingtodecorate thanked Nancy Walton
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you. I hope so! It certainly feels a bit overwhelming right now.
  • resident
    9 years ago
    My preference is the mirror without the grillwork, over the sofa, hung horizontally. The grillwork competes with the nailhead and minimizing the overall design of the sofa. Horizontally because it works better with the proportion of the wall and sofa. Move the piano as close to the corner as possible. Choosing the corner that works with the inward curve of the piano. There's no 'rule' against impeding the doorway abit, but obviously, not uncomfortably blocking. Take a step back, sleep on it and see how it feels tomorrow morning .... or in the wee-hours 'cause you can't help it, if you're like me! hahaha! I like the patterned rug.
  • PRO
    HHI
    9 years ago
    Try This: That last pic gives a good idea of space. I'd move sofa in front of left side entrance near window and catty-corner. This will show off that beautiful winged arm as you enter the room. Where you now have the lamp/table, move your piano directly over into that corner putting your piano bench in that right corner. You should never put the body of a piano facing the wall…thats where the music projects out! Sorry but others are wrong on opposite positioning:-/ Use the lamp table you have and put it to the right hand side of sofa now in front of window or get a large floor lamp with awesome large shade for that area. A small armless chair like you have added 'Might' be able to fit in that left hand corner of room and a smaller sitting chair in opposite corner. Then add a large say…. 8x8 rug squared to room? Positioning the furniture like this gives the pianist an audience.
  • PRO
    HHI
    9 years ago
    PS…I really love that sofa. Where did you buy it? I have a very similar green/grey velvet Mitchell Gold chair that is my favorite:-)
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Well, I guess that leaves the last corner for me. I would put the piano in the near right corner as you enter the space, keyboard toward the corner, so pianist has back to the wall.

I think the sofa belongs on the wall facing the entry, and I actually like the mirror (something I never thought I'd say), except you need another one exactly like it and to hang them side by side.
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    Grover, the piano needs to be in the near left corner with the keyboard facing the corner. Your way, the lid would then open into the wall, with resultant deadening of the sound.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    9 years ago
    What?! Are you kidding!? It's fabulous and perfect for the room! You just need the rest and not a lot. It's peaceful and beautiful. I think a white rug would be stunning and I like the idea of soothing art or a mirror. Give the sofa another week in the space and you'll realize how perfect it is too.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    It's a small room, Nancy. You might want to dampen the sound. ;-)
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is exciting! I love the feedback. I just returned from Marshall's empty handed (except for some clothes)! The art was pretty picked over. Here's a photo of the mirror with grill on top of sofa and I don't think it works. The top of the sofa is almost 4' so once the mirror were hung up a bit I just don't think it would look right.

I am going to look at the photos with the piano photoshopped as soon as I get my boys to bed. It's so helpful bc I really have a hard time visualizing things.

I got the sofa on Overstock!

Thanks again!!!
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The sofa doesn't look that big bc of the 10' ceiling. He's, the room is small. I think it's 12 x 12'.
  • reneebev
    9 years ago
    Love that sofa!
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Groveraxle, thank you for the pictures. I really like the scale of the art you chose and/ adding another mirror. It looks more balanced to have something big above it.
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    One more thing...the boys and I do play the piano. It was a $100 score from craigslist. It's not worth anything since it's old and doesn't hold a tune for long, but I love that it has character and a history.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    Turn the piano and paint your walls dark.
    J. Hirsch Interior Design Portfolio · More Info
  • mkhodges
    9 years ago
    I think your sofa, colors, and piano are great. You don't need much more. Just tweak until you get it right. Have fun. I have a grand, too....I play it and love it. Actually I have two pianos in same room....lol. I made it work.
  • csevene
    9 years ago
    @grover, how about just one of the mirror above the couch turned horizontally and then a much more substantial lamp ...
    just a thought.
  • suemcgrory
    9 years ago
    Unless you're playing the piano (which is gorgeous, by the way) for guests where acoustics really matter, I would turn it around and have the keyboard/bench back into the room. I have a baby grand also, and used to have a music room where I could position it correctly. Now, we have downsized and the only way to keep the piano (which was my grandmother's) was to turn it and tuck it into the corner of my dining room. I love the sofa against the far wall. It really makes the sofa to see it centered on that wall as you enter the room. Small tables/lights on each side. I think I would like a grouping of pictures above it on that wall, however, if you decide to wallpaper (which I love over wainscot), the very first thing I would do would be to choose your wallpaper then expand from there. We have restored four old houses (1742, 1802, 1911, 1850) and have found that when using wallpaper, selecting what you want there first, then finding pictures and objects that work with it, is much easier than trying to do it the other way around.

The picture is not a good one - was still unpacking and haven't repainted, but I also have the added challenge of this being the original room of the house (a 1-room log cabin) with low ceilings, open beams and wood plank walls. I miss those old high ceilings! Good luck - I think it will be lovely when you're done.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    9 years ago
    I love the sofa, room, wall color, two mirrors - need larger lamps. Decide on an accent color. I didn't like yellow. I loved the link to the purple velvet chair. Could also see teal or another shade of blue or perhaps raspberry! I have had two baby grands - I finally parted with the second one about ten years ago. What a decorating relief! It really was the elephant in the room!
  • doctornancy
    9 years ago
    Absolutely magnificent room with unlimited possibilities! I selected purple striped walls (in flat and gloss finish of same paint color), blue ceiling tray, a hammered silver lamp, and black and white rug, but so many other combinations would be equally stunning..... This will be a lovely room. Once your room has other decor items in it, I suspect you will love your new sofa.
  • Lou
    9 years ago
    I think my problem is in understanding the purpose of this room. Is this a room you just walk past but don't really use? Do you use the piano? Do you hold concerts? Do you intend to use the room for guests and entertaining (without music)?

If the intention is not to use the piano on a regular basis, then it could be pushed further into the corner (but not towards an external wall as you want to keep the temperature of it steady and keep out humidity). Then the couch needs to be paired with a really comfortable chair or two and some small tables for serving tea. You need to make this a cosy, conversational area that draws people in.

If you are daring enough, I'd suggest you pick a patterned (but not too colourful) wallpaper or a dark colour to go on the ceiling. That will help to bring the room into proportion with the size of the piano a little more as it appears to be too big for the floor space and ceiling too high as it is.

Any artwork you hang behind the sofa needs to be horizontal, quite wide and at eye level. The only reason your first mirror didn't work is because you hung it vertically. I wouldn't do too much to the walls as it will only increase the height of these.
  • soto01
    9 years ago
    The room seems small for the piano to me (especially with the large window on one wall and the huge entry on another. The sofa is GORGEOUS! Great choice! I would take that color of the sofa (blue/gray) and put it up into the recess of the ceiling. I would also love to see a couple of matching chairs (or at least one) in the space. The subtle zebra rug that you have posted in your favorites would look good. I like the sofa on the back wall with the chairs on the other solid wall. Since the window is not centered on the wall, the piano would look acceptable in that corner as you come into the room, but I think it is really too big in such a small but lovely room. Also, either the large mirrors or a huge piece of artwork would be lovely....Also like the first rug that "rugs done right" posted. The sofa is GORGEOUS! Great taste and lovely space.....good luck!
  • bevballew
    9 years ago
    Sofa in this new place brings warmth and an inviting feeling. I agree piano in corner as suggested. I would keep the walls as it. I thought a mirror looked best.
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The purpose of the room was just for the piano.

I agree though with the comments that the piano is too big though for the space. I just had an idea....I could move the piano to the den (opposite side of foyer from this room). The den never gets used but with the piano in there, it might. Ok, I need to think about this for a bit.
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @ Lou, thanks. I can't hang artwork at eye level because the sofa back is so high.
  • Lou
    9 years ago
    @shelaghc. I gathered it would be hard for the artwork to be at eye level given the height of the couch, I just meant that you'll need to choose something long and narrow so it doesn't give any more height to the room.
  • Lou
    9 years ago
    If the piano was moved to the right foreground corner, with the largest (the keyboard) portion facing into the doorway, this might make more room for the sitting area in the main part of the room.
    I've attached a rough drawing of what the walls/ceiling effect could be if you chose to put a darker colour or wallpaper on the ceiling. I thought it might be nice to continue that pattern on the bottom panels too (but just on two sides of the room so it doesn't get too closed in that way either).
    I've also attached a pic of a mood board for some complementary coloured items that would work for the room, based on the colours and feel it already has. The top left item is a swatch of wallpaper from Crate & Barrel.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    9 years ago
    Go to Houzz Products, search for Horizontal three panel art work. Two of the three panels, or perhaps all three might be the perfect over your beautiful couch. There are many shades of blue beige gray and more in these panels. About $270., though.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    9 years ago
    Correction - Horizon view hand painted panels under Decor and Accessories topic
  • soto01
    9 years ago
    Any updates?? Would love to see what decisions you have made...
  • halfpint2
    9 years ago
    I love the couch, it looks lovely. Some artwork would be nice.
  • lovingtodecorate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Update...I'm afraid to say that I returned the beautiful sofa. I kept it for about a month and it just didn't feel right. I agree with the comments about the piano being too big for the space so I am going to move it to the den which is larger and use this room as a small living room with 4 comfy chairs and a circular ottoman/coffee table. I will post once I do something. Thank you!
  • bevballew
    9 years ago
    Sounds very wise!
  • divadum
    9 years ago
    It's too small a room to fit in both the piano and a sofa. I am having similar trouble with my living room to maximize space. On the other hand, I paint out of my home, if you are interested in purchasing art please view my blog, and I can make custom art for you. http://pinksaucer.wordpress.com/
  • reneebev
    9 years ago
    So sorry to read that you decided to return that sofa. I really loved how the room looked from the get go. It reminded me of a room from a period drama in that the piano was the main object - there was an "intimacy" of function and design. Ultimately, you had to like it, I understand but, that sofa was a great piece!
    lovingtodecorate thanked reneebev