Help me bring our dining room to life!
Laura
We recently started working on our dining room and I'm stuck! I know we need a new light, rug, and window treatments, but I'm having trouble deciding what comes first.

About the things already in the room-

The light - This has to go! We've been shopping around and are looking to spend under $400 on a new fixture. Any suggestions?

Table and chairs - we just bought these and love them. We have a couple of leaves, so we could extend the table if it appears to small. At some point, I'd like to get some different end chairs.

The picture - We recently found this at an estate sale and love it and would love the colors to inspire the rest of the room. But we really don't like the frame! Once we decide on some of the other things in the room, I'll either paint to frame or look at getting the art reframed.

The buffet - We'd like this to stay, but I'm open to altering the color because it seems really orange to me.

Shutters - I love the function of the shutters, but I feel like they make the room feel really small and would love to see them go.

Any suggestions on how to start? I'd love to get that light out of there ASAP, but am afraid that would be a mistake without some idea about where we're headed.

Thanks for your help!
Warner Decor
April 23, 2014 at 11:59AM     
Whispar Design
Are there any other fixtures nearby that you plan to keep? Not that the new one needs to be matchy-matchy but should be consitent in finish. Also what style appeals to you? Here are a few in various styles to get some ideas.
Braxton Chandelier
HGTV Veronica Semi-Flush / Pendant
Hemispheres Pendant
Lilliana Drum Pendant

I think the shutters are actually very classic looking. You might consider adding stationary drapery panels to add some color/warmth to the wall space.
Cornice Window Treatments
April 23, 2014 at 12:15PM     
yoboseiyo
get your rug.

do either a neutral, or a soft pattern with colors from the art.

the shutters are great, i'd leave them. i don't think they make the room seem small, but maybe that's the photos.
April 23, 2014 at 12:15PM     
Peake Development, Inc.
You've already got a great foundation to start with. When decorating a model home, I like to find an inspiration piece. You already have one - your picture. I would snap a pic of it and take it with you shopping. I always bring along my iPad. I find a color in the inspiration piece that speaks to me and design around that. Because you have a nice mix of traditional - in the finish work of the home and a bit of modern with your table, you can go pretty eclectic. Why don't you start by finding a center piece for your table? You would also be surprised at how many model homes are decorated using items from discount stores like Ross or Bealls. Go in with a color in mind and let their items speak to you. You can find a nice vase and have an arrangement made or go to Joann or Michaels and make one yourself. Also, you can buy anything you think you "might" like and return what doesn't work in the room, if your budget will allow. Or you can snap a pic of things you might want and create an inventory of "potential" items. When you're done with that, you'll find you are pulled to one theme or another - modern/contemporary or traditional and you can go find a fixture that will work with how you've decorated. You've also got a nice neutral background to add some fabric window covering, if you choose to bring color in that way. Joann has some beautiful home decor fabrics that might inspire you and they also do custom window coverings. In summary: 1) find a theme or inspiration to kick start your decor and because you already have the major items; 2) move on to the little decorator items and come back to fixture, window covering and buffet color after you've found your theme.
April 23, 2014 at 12:24PM     
Laura
Thanks so much for your comments!

We've been leaning towards the greens, but want to make sure it's not too drab.

Here are a couple of lights that have caught our eye (most are just inspiration and we'd have to find something similar in our price range):

UP05
2011 Street of Dreams ("con Amore")
Old Westbury Neoclassical
Noe Valley Dining Room

We've done a drum pendant before and it feels a little safe, but that seems to be the common ground between my husband and I. I'd get something like that beautiful crystal chandelier if I had my druthers. ;)

I definitely want to do stationary panels, so I'll be looking for help there.

I think I have some shopping to do!
April 23, 2014 at 12:36PM     
tlparks
Actually, once u change out light fixture I think the frame won't bother u so much. It seems to blend with the color of flooring and the console table. It looks pretty neutral.
April 23, 2014 at 12:37PM     
Laura
Oh. One more thing. Most of the hardware and other fixtures in the house are oil rubbed bronze.
April 23, 2014 at 12:37PM   
Laura
Tlparks - that's what I keep telling my husband, but I'm not sure he's buying it. We definitely won't make any changes until we're closer to done. ;)
April 23, 2014 at 12:42PM     
lincolnlover
Paint!!!
April 23, 2014 at 12:44PM     
flair lighting
paint rug and light...that will be a great start. than fill in with art and decor.
April 23, 2014 at 12:50PM     
e1241b
I would have the art piece reframed in a boarded frame, with more neutral colors. That would soften the look and add more 'statement' to the work. And add rug!
April 23, 2014 at 1:00PM     
e1241b
I meant to type 'broader' frame, one w some cubes the linear gold is pretty harsh
April 23, 2014 at 1:02PM   
Whispar Design
There is a new fixture that just came out similar to one that yuo posted. The price point is a little above yours but there are promos run on these that will bring it down closer to where you want to be. I'll check on the others you mentioned too and see what can be had within the budget.

April 23, 2014 at 1:37PM     
flair lighting
here are some fixture i thought would be nice.
April 23, 2014 at 1:44PM     
Leslie Brooks
How about painting the current chandelier with oil rubbed bronze paint? Painting the walls a red would really bring your art to life. And you may even like the frame with those changes. And, if you don't want to invest money in a large rug, maybe a table runner for color and texture.
April 23, 2014 at 1:54PM   
Leslie Brooks
A breezy, soft pair of sheer panels in a soft green would be a good replacement to the shutters.
April 23, 2014 at 1:56PM   
Peake Development, Inc.
lcox - what flair lighting did with the picture was a really good idea. Sign up for Polyvore and you can make your own mock ups of your room using pictures of things you find on the Internet. Also, the light that you posted second with the shade around it - lowes stocks one that is very similar and should be I your price range. However, you'll find that most of the more modern style fixtures are in brushed nickel or chrome at the big box stores. You'd still have to refinish it with an ORB paint.
April 23, 2014 at 2:13PM     
Whispar Design
I understand about finding "middle ground" :) Perhaps a few other drum fixtures that may appeal to both?
Pembroke 6-Light Chandelier
Pembroke Drum Chandelier
The Pembrokes are also available in antique brass if that is more to your liking.
And if you still want the crystal, there are drum shade kits that can be added :)
April 23, 2014 at 3:15PM     
Laura
Thanks everyone!

That is a great idea! I'll play around with some collages later tonight.
April 23, 2014 at 3:16PM   
Laura
Flair lighting - thanks for the collage. It's really helpful to see the lights in context light that. I'll show them to my husband and see what he thinks.
April 23, 2014 at 3:18PM   
leelee
Your furniture is modern, simple and casual. An over-the-top fussy chandelier isn't going to "fit". Try one that's got clean lines.
April 23, 2014 at 3:25PM     
bgfuqua
like your room and furniture. I think buffet will look fine as long as you stay away from any orange accents. don't change it or picture frame until you see them with more in the room.
April 23, 2014 at 3:27PM     
Laura
Whispar Design - I really like the Pembroke fixtures.

I'm ok with something without the crystal, but I would like to find something a little more interesting than a plain drum shade.
April 23, 2014 at 3:29PM   
flair lighting
yea thats why i went to one with a little bling, and that gold frame!
April 23, 2014 at 3:31PM   
leelee
Definitely don't get rid of the shutters! They work with any style and add to the value of your home.

Your room is incomplete--don't blame it on the shutters. Get your rug and other accessories before you start tearing out the shutters. Add some WOW art.
April 23, 2014 at 3:35PM     
leelee
More art ideas.
April 23, 2014 at 3:44PM     
leelee
Add buffet lamps.
April 23, 2014 at 3:46PM     
leelee
Rug for under the table.
April 23, 2014 at 3:50PM     
doctornancy
Hi, llcox, you have a wonderful empty canvas with which to work. I recommend you buy the most expensive item first, probably the light fixture. I would definitely expand the table, and your idea of adding contrasting end chairs is a great idea. I used an oriental rug in my image and painted the walls above the wainscoting, but there are endless options depending on your design style - traditional, contemporary.... Your artwork is a wonderful inspiration piece. I suggest you repeat the colors and lines of your artwork and your light fixture in the rug you purchase. The end result will be a very put-together designer-looking dining room.
April 23, 2014 at 4:45PM     
The Design Tap
love the pembrook fixtures...silver and white...Paint the frame black matte and lower...it is hanging too high...Really love the idea of a black and linen colored rug with a large bold pattern...need some serious accessories to make a statement...I love the panels..and am purist at heart...Natural light and light weight linen are perfect for establishing the canvas to create a timeless interior...I like the idea of using different chairs as the end chairs, but not in this room....K.I.S.S. don't try too hard....use the same chair...more versatile...not about the furniture, but the feeling
April 23, 2014 at 5:04PM     
redpoint
I'll add to the chorus: Don't get rid of the shutters. They're beautiful, add easy texture to the room, are way easier than curtains to clean, and a lot less fussy. Plus, if you keep them you will have more money to spend on other things. Bonus!
Has anyone suggested painting the room, yet? I love the sage doctornancy just put up. I don't think the pale yellow is doing anything for the room. The sage, or another color, will make the room seem more . . substantial. I often think medium or even dark, rich colors work really well in a dining room. (as I say this I look up and notice that my dining room is yellow also--hah)
I also like the drum shade doctornancy shows above--modern and clean but not boring. I agree with someone that a chandelier could be too fussy in that space.
You do have a great space to work with. It's going to look great. Update with pics!
April 23, 2014 at 5:54PM     
Laura
Thanks, Redpoint.

I think we're open to painting. When we first moved in, the dining room was a dark teal blue. It was a pretty color, but it seemed way too dark. The color now is actually November Rain by Benjamin Moore, so it's funny that it looks yellow. Our house feels dark a lot, so I was trying to lighten things up (also the reason I'm on the fence about the shutters). We have the same color through out the first floor, but it doesn't have to stay that way!
April 23, 2014 at 6:19PM   
April 23, 2014 at 6:22PM     
Whispar Design
I do like that one - not too industrial at all!
April 23, 2014 at 6:58PM        Thanked by Laura
doctornancy
Nice chandelier - a bit more contemporary and coordinates well with a more contemporary rug and bolder wall color.
April 23, 2014 at 9:46PM        Thanked by Laura
Laura
Thanks, doctornancy!! That helps me realize that I like the softer look of the first light you did. :)
April 24, 2014 at 5:08AM   
doctornancy
The softer look of the first image with the more delicate light fixture better "matches" the softness of your artwork - a good thing to keep in mind as you make your selections.
April 24, 2014 at 6:01AM     
lperuski
I like the first light too. I also like to use small scale wing chairs at the table ends, which I can pull into the adjacent room for extra seating or leave in the other room and pull them into the dining room when I need them.
April 24, 2014 at 6:18AM     
Laura
As I look at lights, I think I need something in the 20-24" inch range. Does the sound right? The table is 40" wide and the room is 12' x 12'6". Thanks for your help!
April 24, 2014 at 7:50AM   
Laura
I keep coming back to the Audrey pendant because I like the curve of the shade and the glass ball. I also like that you can pick the fabric/color of the shade and the finish. It's just more than we had wanted to spend.

Dining Room
2011 Street of Dreams ("con Amore")

Is it worth the splurge or would a more inexpensive drum fixture give the same effect?

Also, does anyone know what the bronze finish looks like? In some pictures, it looks like a darker oil-rubbed bronze and in others it looks more orange-y bronze.
April 24, 2014 at 9:40AM   
Whispar Design
It's hard to tell for sure. The Aubry is mad eby Stonegate Designs. We do not carry them but here is a link to their page with all the finishes available. Maybe will give you a better idea direct from the manufacturer of finish colors. http://www.stonegatedesigns.com/detail11_1.asp?ID=114&product_name=Audrey

The "bronze term" does have a lot of variation. For instance, here is another one in more of a vintage bronze vs. the Olsen Pottery Barn which is a dark oil-rubbed bronze.
April 24, 2014 at 3:11PM   
Laura
Hi!

First, thanks for all of the input everyone provided when I first posted this room. It's so helpful to have fresh eyes give their opinion. I know it's been a while, but I wanted to share some progress on our dining room!

Since I last updated, we've replaced the light fixture with a linen drum pendant, pulled in a rug that used to be in our living room, pulled in some extra chairs that have floated from room to room, and replaced the plantation shutters with some sheer linen curtains (don't worry...they're easily accessible if we change our mind). I'm really excited about how the room is starting to feel, but I would love some help with accessories for the buffet and a centerpiece for the table.

I've attached update photos, as well as some pictures of vases, candle holders, etc. we already have. Could any of these work? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Thanks so much!
September 10, 2014 at 10:56AM     
Laura
Options for vases, etc.
September 10, 2014 at 10:57AM     
Ann
Just want to say how nice it looks. I wouldn't add much. Keep it simple without a lot of "little" stuff. Think of maybe buffet lamps as leelee suggested and a large long tray between them - nothing else. Same thing for your centerpiece - one large pretty bowl or something like that.
September 10, 2014 at 11:14AM        Thanked by Laura
Laura
Thanks, Ann! I do like the idea of buffet lamps and a tray. My only problem is the outlets are in really bizarre places - about a foot from each corner of the room, so I'd have to figure out how to hide the cords. (You can see one peeking out in that second picture with the candlesticks.)

September 10, 2014 at 12:01PM   
Ann
Oh, the outlet issue is a problem - maybe not worth dealing with the problem of the cords. So, maybe a set of three very large candle holders and candles - 2 at one end and 1 at the other. Last time I was in Pottery Barn, they had very large scale glass things - candle holders and such. Also, Pottery Barn used to sell this large metal tray. Too bad they don't carry it anymore - it was 13" wide and 33" long - so nice and large for either a buffet or centerpiece.
September 10, 2014 at 2:41PM     
Ann
With the exception of possibly your two tallest candle holders, I think your other items are just not a large enough scale.
September 10, 2014 at 2:46PM   
Laura
I really like that tray! I'll have to look and see if I can find something similar. I'll play around with some of the candles I have and see if any of them work. Otherwise I might have to do some shopping. We have company coming next week, so I'd love to make a little progress. Thanks so much for your help!
September 10, 2014 at 2:49PM   
Laura
Ha! You just answered my question! I think you're probably right that everything else is too small.
September 10, 2014 at 2:50PM   
Ann
If you decide to shop, check out the "Vases" category at ZGallerie. They tend to have nice large scale decorative items. It looks like they have several things that might go nicely with your gold frame of your art.
September 10, 2014 at 2:53PM   
Ann
ZGallerie has collections like this where you might be able to choose two or three really pretty pieces for the buffet.
September 10, 2014 at 2:59PM     
Ann
Crate and Barrel tends to have a nice selection of large scale decorative items too.
September 10, 2014 at 3:02PM     
Laura
Thanks! I'm there now. I like that one you posted. Do you think I need to repeat the gold on the table? We have been really unsure about that gold frame (we bought the art at an estate sale and I'd love to try to make the frame work if we can). Right now, I think it still sticks out as different from everything else in the room (although its much better than when we started). Oh! And I just remembered I have a crate and barrel gift card, so I'll head there next. :)
September 10, 2014 at 3:07PM   
September 10, 2014 at 3:13PM   
Laura
This would be a splurge, but what about this for the table (not with the leaf above)? http://www.crateandbarrel.com/starburst-bowl/s202614
September 10, 2014 at 3:14PM     
Ann
I saw the Crate and Barrel metal leaf bowl, but looked at the dimensions and it's pretty small, maybe too small. I've seen the starburst bowl and it's BEAUTIFUL and a wonderful size. I think it would be stunning as a centerpiece on the table (with nothing in it)!!!!!! I rather like the idea of the set of three Pottery Barn candlesticks I pictured earlier for the buffet (with good sized candles in blue to go with your rug and art). Maybe only those three on the buffet with nothing else. I don't love the gold frame on the art, but it's not terrible. I think the starburst bowl is expensive but you might enjoy it for years and years to come. It's very pretty art and would just "make" your dining room.
September 10, 2014 at 5:36PM     
Ann
Maybe try your two large, tall candlesticks at one end of the buffet and the plant at the other end. Not too close to the ends - maybe overlapping the sides of the art just a bit.
September 10, 2014 at 5:39PM   
Laura
I really liked the gold leaf bowl, too, until I saw the dimensions. I'll have to show the starburst to my husband and see if he likes it. It really is pretty and it wouldn't be that much out of pocket with the gift card.

I do like the pottery barn candles you suggested. I have all my existing glass things on the table and they bring a little sparkle to the room, which I like.

Thanks, Ann!
September 10, 2014 at 5:45PM   
klfische
I have not read all the comments.............You can EASILY spray paint the light and the picture frame................goes to Lowes/Home Depot and pick a color.............I have been using the Rustoleum Metallics with GREAT success.............no prep.............just clean and spray..............This will give you an opportunity to purchase an area rug that you love...............and you can find an overhead light in time.............everyone has a budget........I have used oil rubbed bronze on lamps, picture frames, mirror frames and my room has a cohesive look................I also shop at thrift stores................you would be amazed at what you can find..................In my younger years, I would have not done this...............now it is all about making something more beautiful with some "tweaking"..............happy decorating!
September 10, 2014 at 5:50PM     
Laura
Like this?

(I'd need a new plant...one of my cats likes to chew the leaves, so this one has seen better days. ;))
September 10, 2014 at 5:50PM     
abbyjean
I am really just posting to follow as I love where this room is going! The changes you just made WORK! The drapes and rug....all of it. And having company coming is a great motivator, isn't it?
September 10, 2014 at 6:39PM   
Laura
Thanks, klfishe. We did end up swapping out the light, but we recycled a rug from another room that works better in here than it ever did in our living room. I love a good bargain! We're always checking out craigslist (that's where we found our vintage table), consignment shops, and estate sales. We love finding treasures!
September 10, 2014 at 7:21PM   
Ann
Oh, I like that for the buffet! Now, if you splurge on the Starburst bowl and put it on the table, it will be awesome!
September 10, 2014 at 7:23PM      Thanked by Laura
Laura
Thanks, abbyjean! I was so excited when I took down the shutters the other day. I know a lot of people (on Houzz and in real life) thought they should stay, but it was amazing what a huge difference it made taking them down...so much more light!! I might actually be able to keep a plant alive now. :)
September 10, 2014 at 7:25PM   
abbyjean
A plant on the buffet would be nice since there is so much green in the art. If you paint the frame, what color are you thinking of?
September 10, 2014 at 7:33PM   
abbyjean
Looks like the Starburst will not ship until the end of the month....can you wait that long? That is why I hate ordering things, even though it is only weeks away, I guess.
September 10, 2014 at 7:35PM   
Laura
It looks like they have 4 of the Starburst bowls at the store close to me. I think I'll go take a look to see if I like it.

I don't know what to do about the frame. I don't really like the gold, although it bothers me much less now that the rest of the room is coming together. (Seeing it apart from the rest of the room like in the last picture I posted makes me cringe a little). Black seems like it would be too harsh. Any suggestions?
September 10, 2014 at 7:41PM     
Ann
Not sure about frame color. I've also had very good luck painting frames with Rustoleum spray paint. Light sanding first and you're ready.
September 10, 2014 at 7:52PM      Thanked by Laura
CDR Design
I confess to not reading all comments and am on this discussion as requested from another discussion

-paint chandelier black. Stunning.
-paint stair banister black
-art needs new mat and more substantial frame. Change it after you buy rug
-panel drapes
September 11, 2014 at 4:23AM      Thanked by Laura
Laura
CDR, thanks so much for taking a look! Do you have any suggestions for the frame color? I'm really stuck there. I've attached a couple of updated shots of the room.
September 11, 2014 at 5:38AM     
Laura
And I agree...the banister needs to change. We need a new front door, so I'm going to hold off until we tackle that project next year. Thanks so much!
September 11, 2014 at 5:39AM   
abbyjean
A black frame would tie in the hardware on the buffet. Would that be the only black in this space?
September 11, 2014 at 5:45AM   
abbyjean
Changed your mind on the candles from yesterday?
September 11, 2014 at 5:47AM   
Laura
The curtain rods and light hardware are black and there's a little black in the rug, so maybe a black frame would work?

And the candles are still there...I just don't have a shot of the whole room with them on the buffet, and my table currently has about 12 candlesticks and 6 vases on it, so I didn't want to take another one. :)
September 11, 2014 at 5:54AM     
CDR Design
I am in my iPhone which I detest typing on do sorry thus is short. Room updates look great. Take art to framer, but not craft store. If you are getting glared consider museum glass. Expensive though.

I would make the framing more contemporary. Consider grass cloth mat and a second Matt in the darker green. I would paint the frame a deep charcoal.
September 11, 2014 at 6:19AM      Thanked by Laura
Ann
Deep charcoal sounds nice. I did have that same thought yesterday, but just wasn't sure enough to suggest it so was waiting for other opinions. Wonder if there is a charcoal spray paint - it makes it so quick and easy.
September 11, 2014 at 6:45AM      Thanked by Laura
Laura
Thanks! I love the idea of the grasscloth and green mattes with a more contemporary frame. We found the picture at an estate sale and bought it for a steal. It turns out that it's a signed and numbered print and it's actually kind of valuable. We both love it (and the story behind it), so I would love to make it shine. I think I'll try painting the frame a dark charcoal to buy us some time and then save up to have it done the right way. I was in Lowes yesterday and they had a decent selection of spray paint colors. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a charcoal. I'll post pictures in the next couple of days.

I'm really excited about how this is coming together!!
September 11, 2014 at 7:12AM     
Ann
The frame shouldn't be hard to remove, but I once taped and covered the glass very, very carefully and sprayed the frame while still in place and it even turned out great. I can't remember why I didn't want to remove the frame first, but it worked. Do spend about 10 minutes with something like 400 grit (if I recall) sandpaper so the paint has a surface to stick to. You'll have the whole thing done in less than an hour.
September 11, 2014 at 7:18AM     
Laura
Thanks for the tips, Ann! Have you ever used rub 'n buff? I'm looking online for ideas and have found lots of references to it. (Although it looks like they only have black, which might be too dark).
September 11, 2014 at 7:21AM   
abbyjean
I LOVE LOVE LOVE projects that make a huge impact AND can be done in less than an hour AND cost basically nothing other than that hour of your time.
September 11, 2014 at 7:23AM     
Ann
Nope, I've only used spray paint on frames, usually rustoleum.
September 11, 2014 at 7:25AM   
Great changes! There is something blank about the window wall. Consider a stacked pair of art pieces between the windows for some interest there.
September 11, 2014 at 7:34AM     
CDR Design
If this is signed and numbered I Woolf take it fairly quickly to a framer who could recommend best type of glass, likely museum glass.

I would move the 2 end chairs to either side of buffet.
September 11, 2014 at 8:15AM   
CDR Design
Can we see the buffet closer? I am thinking different hardware. No need to paint it.

Painting banister black would be easy and awesome.
September 11, 2014 at 8:17AM   
Laura
Here are a couple of close ups of the buffet.

I found a local framer, so I'll take it in and see what they say. I'd hate to damage the picture somehow.
September 11, 2014 at 8:53AM     
CDR Design
You could add more modern hardware to the buffet and tie in the charcoal frame by adding dark hardware. It would also make the buffet more of a statement.
September 11, 2014 at 10:53AM      Thanked by Laura
Ann
The buffet is in really good shape - I definitely wouldn't paint it. I kind of like the old hardware but, no question, new hardware would really change the look. CDR already mentioned this, but if you have the art framed by a framer, consider museum glass at that time. It is expensive but reduces glare very, very well. It would cost much more to get it taken apart later to add museum glass so if you plan to have a framer now, maybe just bite the bullet and replace the glass and the mats too.
September 11, 2014 at 11:25AM        Thanked by Laura
CDR Design
I agree with ann about the art.

Can you tell us more about the buffet. As ann said, it is a nice piece as it stands. It really depends on what your goals are for the room.
September 11, 2014 at 11:34AM   
Laura
I think you're both right about the glass. I tried to take a close-up of the art because I don't think the pictures I've posted do it justice, but all you could see was a reflection of the light right, smack dab in the middle. So not only will the museum glass protect the print, I think we'll enjoy it more. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

The buffet is just something we found on Craigslist (which appears to be my favorite place to shop if you read my posts). I liked the relatively clean lines and I thought it would look nice with our table (without looking like the 60s exploded in our dining room). The only reason I threw out the idea of painting it was because it seemed like it looked like we tried to match the table and missed. Also I think the floor, table, and buffet were all similar tones, so that was sort of overwhelming the room. Now that we have the rug in there, I think it works much better and don't think it should be painted. I do like the idea of looking at different hardware. I want the room to be comfortable and inviting and to look cohesive.
September 11, 2014 at 11:52AM   
Ann
I have art behind glass in my kitchen nook. The glare was terrible so I paid the big price for museum glass and boy, did it make a difference. I'm enjoying the art SO much more now! If you love the art, might as well get it framed just the way you want it for years of enjoyment - but it will not be inexpensive!!
September 11, 2014 at 12:56PM     
CDR Design
It won't cost you a dime to get a price on glass and framing.

I think some clean lined hardware is more your style. Again, no cost in checking into it. You can buy some and see if you like it and always return.
September 11, 2014 at 1:10PM        Thanked by Laura
abbyjean
And nice to know that a craigslist steal can be updated with some hardware. I love those sorts of finds!
September 11, 2014 at 1:48PM     
Laura
I agree more clean lined hardware is more our style. What do you think about something like this? Too safe? I feel like if we're going to spend the money on new pulls, I want them to look fantastic. I'm supposed to be working, so I can't spend much time looking now (and there are SO many options!!), but I'll look more later tonight.

Abbyjean, we're a little obsessed with Craigslist here. There's so much good stuff!
http://www.allmodern.com/Atlas-Homewares-Fulcrum-6.8-Bar-Pull-307-THW1048.html
September 11, 2014 at 2:01PM   
CDR Design
I think those would work. You might try a local place first. Easier to return
September 11, 2014 at 3:54PM   
Laura
So I made a quick stop at Lowes to see what I could find for hardware. They didn't have much in stock that was modern and dark (not a surprise), but I grabbed a few that I liked in different finishes just to get an idea of how the shapes looked. I figured I could look online to find the right finish. Here are the contenders:

1. Squared off with backplate (top left drawer)
2. The bronze arch (top middle drawer)
3. Arch/bar combo (top right drawer)
4. The bar pull (second drawer down)
5. Stick with original hardware

Any preferences? I'm leaning towards #4, but would love to hear what you think.
September 12, 2014 at 8:31AM   
Laura
Oh! And decoenthusiast, I meant to reply to you yesterday! I've been looking at that same spot and wondering if I would need something there. I wonder if it will still feel like something is missing once I have something on the table? Most of the time, I view the room from our kitchen (the attached view) and the light blocks that wall, so I thought it might look busy. I think I need to consider how it looks when you're actually sitting in the room, though. Ha!
September 12, 2014 at 8:40AM   
CDR Design
Lcox, only #1 and 3 pics posted.

I really like the look of #1 (square with backplate) . I fits the clean, straight lines of the buffet and looks substantial.
September 12, 2014 at 8:42AM   
Laura
Oops! Here are the other options.
September 12, 2014 at 8:44AM   
CDR Design
Where you really need something is the back wall and on either side of the buffet. I know you see it a lot with substantially higher chairs on the ends (current trend), but to me it makes yours other chairs look dwarfed.

Any chance you will try the end chairs next to the buffet?
September 12, 2014 at 8:47AM   
CDR Design
#1 with backplate is still my first choice.
September 12, 2014 at 8:48AM     
Laura
Here are the chairs moved. The other chairs do look tiny, don't they?
September 12, 2014 at 8:53AM   
Laura
#1 was my second choice. I was actually surprised I liked it when I put it on. I just wasn't sure if it worked with the fluting.
September 12, 2014 at 8:55AM   
abbyjean
I actually like the original....went back and looked at the pic with them. You could paint them to match the frame. Second choice is the right one.
September 12, 2014 at 9:27AM     
Laura
Well.....hmmmmm.....I painted the frame. On one hand, the gold is gone!!! Definitely an improvement. But it's amazing how the dark frame draws out the darker colors in the painting, which I'm not sure is a good thing. What do you think?

PS. I'm still planning to take this to a framer in the near future. I was just really curious to see how changing the frame would change the art and the room. Would a wood frame in a tone similar to the table be too matchy matchy?
September 12, 2014 at 12:40PM   
Laura
And thanks, Abbyjean! Three people, three different opinions! (Although I see a couple of people 'liked' your opinion.) :)
September 12, 2014 at 12:41PM   
abbyjean
I like the black! YAY, the gold is gone! I am wondering if you are just so used to the gold that the black became a huge change for you. Dark hardware and was the centerpiece you were thinking of darker, too? What color did you say the curtain rods are?
September 12, 2014 at 12:44PM   
Laura
Thanks, Abbyjean. Maybe I do just need to get used to it. I love that the gold is gone…it's a huge improvement!!! But it definitely has me thinking about what we want to do when we take the plunge and have it reframed. The curtain rods and rod for the pendant light are dark. I haven't settled on a centerpiece. I was looking at a gold bowl from Crate and Barrel, but now that the gold frame is gone, I'm not sure I want to use gold. Thanks so much for all your help!
September 12, 2014 at 12:50PM   
CDR Design
Love the chairs by the buffet!

Can we see closer view of the art?

Looks better but we can tweak
September 12, 2014 at 1:22PM   
Ann
I like the dark frame. I think you just might be used to seeing it with the gold frame so it's "different". I would live with it a bit before taking it to the framer, though. So, you can get used to the difference and then think clearly about what you'd want the framer to do. Let me go back and look at pics so I can come back and comment on the other stuff.
September 12, 2014 at 1:39PM     
Laura
Here are a couple of close ups. So much glare!

I like the chairs by the buffet, too! The room is small, so it feels less crowded without the chairs to walk around on the ends of the table. And I think the buffet looks better, too. I love improvements that don't cost a thing!
September 12, 2014 at 1:42PM     
Laura
One more...
September 12, 2014 at 1:44PM     
flair lighting
wow!! great progress looking good!!
September 12, 2014 at 1:46PM     
Ann
My favorite pull is the arch/bar combo (#3), probably in a dark color, right? My second choice is the original hardware (#5).
September 12, 2014 at 1:46PM   
Ann
Too bad about the glare. The frame really does look nice, but I am guessing you'll eventually want that glass replaced.
September 12, 2014 at 1:49PM   
tgb1
I wanted to comment before you painted the frame - sorry I didn't read this until today. I think I would've tried the rub n buff. I used the bronze shade on a lamp that was pewter and it came out really nice. I think you could've probably toned down the gold enough to make it more to your liking. The black is a bit strong for me. Love the changes you've made in the room so far!
September 12, 2014 at 1:56PM   
CDR Design
Comments

candles look lost there. Try them in center of table.
plant is not adding to the look you want.

frame---good that you painted black for trial

for permanent:

frame:-deep mahogany (like bamboo chair legs) or deep green or deep charcoal
matt: no white/seagrass the light color of the light green in art/
second matt (thin, inner matt) red
September 12, 2014 at 2:47PM   
Laura
tgb1, I was in Michaels this morning debating over trying to tone down the gold with the rub and buff, but wasn't sure how it would look. Oh well. I'm glad I tried the charcoal. I'll do something different when I have it reframed. Thanks for joining in!!
September 12, 2014 at 3:22PM   
Laura
CDR, thanks for the suggestions. I like the framing idea. I'm going to try to take it and at least get an estimate in the next week or so.

The candlesticks are lost over there. We got those as a wedding gift and I thought they were so cool, but I have yet to find a spot where they worked for us. Here they are on the table...I think they're too tall.
September 12, 2014 at 3:24PM   
CDR Design
I like the candles much better there.....and they are really nice pieces.

Try removing the candles. Do they have small lips on the top? Fill the tops with floral jewels.....or something else. Then add three more lower candlesticks or glass vases.

.....or add three really dark candlesticks to contrast.
[houzz=Courtyard Residence Dining Room[houzz=Lakeshore Drive Co-Op[houzz=A Ranch Re-dressing Hanover NH[houzz=Mediterranean on a Budget]
September 12, 2014 at 3:37PM     
Ann
I don't like them on the table - too tall. I actually thought the candlesticks and plant on the buffet were pretty good. Maybe not what you'd buy as the perfect things now, but pretty darn good for something you already have.
September 12, 2014 at 3:40PM     
Ann
Lol - opposite opinions on the candlesticks:)
September 12, 2014 at 3:41PM   
Laura
Lol, Ann! That happens a lot!
September 12, 2014 at 3:44PM     
tgb1
I prefer the original hardware on the buffet. I don't always feel like every single little thing needs to be tweaked, and I think they suit the buffet just fine. I also prefer the candlesticks (which I think are a pretty nifty wedding gift) on the buffet.
September 12, 2014 at 5:06PM     
Laura
So here's what I'm thinking. Reframing the art will have the biggest impact and is probably one of the more expensive things we'll do in here. I like the idea of new hardware, but I'd rather put that $$$ towards the art. I'd also like to make some of our existing accessories work until we get the art done. I'll play around some this weekend and see if I get anywhere.

CDR mentioned something earlier that I've been thinking about...the back wall. Does anyone have any suggestions about that area? Art? Mirrors? I'd love to hear your ideas so I can see if we already have something that might work. Thanks so much!
September 12, 2014 at 6:52PM     
abbyjean
I like the black frame. I like the original hardware. I like the candles and the plant ON the buffet. I like the chairs at the table.

NO mirrors in dining rooms for me....do not enjoy watching myself eat or looking at the backs of heads.

Do you have any plates/platters you could hang?
September 12, 2014 at 7:07PM        Thanked by Laura
Ann
Yeah, I'm starting to think the original hardware is the way to go too and I also like the newly painted frame.
September 12, 2014 at 7:19PM      Thanked by Laura
CDR Design
lcoxll, I base my suggestions on the poster's idea books and statements of goals for the room.

It is a good idea to reframe the art first. As you say, it is a large budget item. Also, other changes will be based upon it. For example, any changes made in hardware should be based upon the art.

The centerpiece you put together look great and is a much more updated look, which is what you are going for. The candles now can be seen!

The buffet is beautiful as it is. For someone with more traditional tastes, I would suggest leaving the buffet as is. However, based on your idea book and what I see as your vision for the room, a change in hardware would bring make a dramatic move toward the more contemporary look you want for your room.

You can revisit that after the framing.
September 13, 2014 at 3:32AM   
CDR Design
For the buffet, I would add one long narrow bowl or perhaps nothing.
September 13, 2014 at 3:33AM   
CDR Design
Wanted to mention with your frame, you could go with a metal frame to give a more modern sensibility..

You might want to wait on the back walls till the art is finished. I would not put art on the back walls, but "objet d'art" (something other than painted art), like mirrors, etc. Something not busy. Possibly mirrors.

How does it feel when you enter the house? Does it feel to you like you need something there?
September 13, 2014 at 3:45AM   
Laura
CDR! You're up early!

Thanks, everyone for the input! It really is helpful to hear the differing opinions because you're helping me see the room in different ways and are making suggestions I wouldn't have thought of myself, which helps me fine tune my preferences.

I don't dislike the dark frame. I think it's a huge improvement over the gold. My hang up with it is that the rest of the room feels light and airy, so it seems like it sticks out as really dark and something about the glass candles against the dark frame seems mismatched to me. And you're right - it could just be that I need to adjust to the dramatic change.

On the grouping of candles, I put them there because I liked the look from the inspiration pictures CDR posted. I'd need a fifth and candles that match…I'll keep playing with it.

I'll see if I have a tray around that would work on the buffet. I don't think I have anything long and narrow, though.

Regarding the back wall, I don't feel like we necessarily need something to the right of the door because you see the light and the art wall when you walk in. But I do feel like the left of the door feels bare - especially when you're in the room. I'll post of pic in a sec.

And LOL, Abbyjean! I don't really like to see myself eat either. :)
September 13, 2014 at 4:02AM   
Laura
Here are a couple of shots of the back wall.
September 13, 2014 at 4:07AM   
Laura
PS. Those vents drive me nuts in every room in this house.
September 13, 2014 at 4:07AM   
CDR Design
Yes, I get up early!

Candles in this arrangement don't go with the photos you have in your idea book.

I would place something on the stairwell only.

Frame: yes, I agree.....if you are planning on adding more dark to the room, then dark frame. For example, the hardware or banister or something else.

If you go too light, the frame is just going to meld into the wall. One option is a sort of gunmetal, which would relate to the art and give a more modern sense.

]
September 13, 2014 at 4:21AM   
Laura
Oops! I agree - I was just playing around last night and forgot to move the candles before I took the picture.
September 13, 2014 at 4:24AM     
Laura
I'd like to stick with the light, neutral feeling we have going on because 1) we live on a shady street and our house always feels dark, and 2) I think it gives us a lot of flexibility to play with the table decor on holidays, and 3) I like it. :)
September 13, 2014 at 4:38AM   
CDR Design
Here is a photo from your idea book.....frames in sort of a lighter tone, but not so light that there is no contrast with the paint. They seem to have a little green in them.

When you get to the shop, the framer will be a great help. If is is a good shop, they will have so many frames, you won't know where to start.

]
September 13, 2014 at 4:43AM   
Laura
I love that kitchen - that light is to die for! I see what you mean about the frames. That's a great example. I found a framer on Angie's List and all of the reviews talk about how helpful they are.
September 13, 2014 at 5:09AM   
CDR Design
Oh good. Yes, when I see that chandelier, it reminds me of your candlesticks. I would like to see that glass of your candlesticks repeated somewhere in the room.....maybe some blingy sconces on either side of the art?
September 13, 2014 at 5:20AM   
CDR Design
]
September 13, 2014 at 5:23AM   
CDR Design
Are the slats in the vents painted?
September 13, 2014 at 5:24AM   
Laura
I love those sconces. I kept trying to convince my husband that we should find a light like this, but he thought it was too blingy. I wonder if I could get him to go for the sconces? Do you think something like that would work with the drum light? (And funny that those two pictures have the same chairs).

September 13, 2014 at 5:31AM   
Laura
The slats are painted. Maybe I need to take them down and give both sides another coat of paint.
September 13, 2014 at 5:32AM   
CDR Design
Wait.....they are the same room....note each says "new project". Zgallerie makes a sconce with a drum shade and bling, but I think they are too traditional-looking.

You certainly can look around for other options on sconces, but I think the Robert Abbey sconces above work with the light. Both have clean lines and chrome. I sort of like the idea that they are not a match, but work together.

Another idea: Pier One sells light jewelry that you may be able to hang from your chandelier. Just looked on their website and don't see it, but other ideas you could use

-old crystal jewelry
-crystal Christmas ornaments
-jewelry pieces from a craft store
September 13, 2014 at 6:41AM   
abbyjean
The stairway wall does need something. And something without a frame, which also means a mirror. Sometimes mirrors seem like quick fixes to me. Metal art would balance the frame.
September 13, 2014 at 7:21AM   
CDR Design
Let's see what you have lcox11.
September 13, 2014 at 7:34AM   
Laura
The picking are kind of slim. The mirrors we have both have frames...

(And trying to take pictures of mirrors makes me realize how messy my house it...guess what I'll be doing this weekend? Yikes!)
September 13, 2014 at 8:05AM   
Laura
Two pictures without frames (but not objects)...
September 13, 2014 at 8:05AM   
Laura
And this is where you'll see out eclectic taste. We both love clean lines and simple decor, but we're also drawn to vintage things and things that are a little more rustic. Maybe we're modern cottage?? Lol.

Here's a metal piece that I think it too small and a cool piece of reclaimed wood with spoons for hooks that we found at an antique store.
September 13, 2014 at 8:08AM   
Laura
I also have two of these small lanterns (that are ridiculously dirty from hanging on our screened in pro hall summer). I think that would be candle overload and we'd probably need something else with them.
September 13, 2014 at 8:09AM   
Laura
September 13, 2014 at 8:10AM   
abbyjean
I am drawn to the plates and the chippy spoon board!!! Will it fight with what is already going on? I love your style! Maybe it is time to walk through a few second hand stores this afternoon????
September 13, 2014 at 8:17AM     
CDR Design
I think you can hang the plates, but add a more contemporary twist.

A more asymmetrical grouping like this will give you a more updated look and are easier to hang without worrying about exact placement. What color plates do you have?

I would do the back 2 walls.

I am not seeing anything else fitting in.

]
September 13, 2014 at 8:27AM   
Laura
Oooooo! I like that! The plates were my favorite option, so I was hoping it would work. I have some white, but I'd need to get some more to make it work. That should be easy enough to do, though. I like how close together they are in your example. They almost look like one piece of art. So you think the two back walls instead of the stair case wall?
September 13, 2014 at 8:31AM   
CDR Design
You can use paper plates to play with the idea.

-left back wall and right back wall (2 displays)
-stair wall, left bw and right bw 3 displays)
-stair and back wall as one (merging at corner) and right back wall (2 displays)
September 13, 2014 at 8:47AM   
Laura
Great idea on the paper plates! Thanks!!
September 13, 2014 at 8:48AM   
CDR Design
I think you have to be careful not to overwhelm the art......maybe around 7 plates on each side (if you do the 2 back walls).
September 13, 2014 at 8:54AM   
CDR Design
Just throwing out an idea. Have you considered putting your art in your family room (perhaps flanked by 2 other pieces of art)/large wall of plates in dining room (where art is now)/bird art on stairwell/nothing on back walls
September 13, 2014 at 9:31AM   
Laura
Well, that's an interesting idea. The funny thing is that we originally bought the picture thinking it would go over the couch (back when we had the ugly brown couches), but moved it to the dining room because of the glare. I hadn't even considered trying it with the gray couch and red chair. The glare is still an issue, but what do you think?

Lighting is a huge issue in the living room (and the quote I got for adding recessed lighting was pretty high). Could we flank to picture with sconces?
September 13, 2014 at 10:43AM     
abbyjean
Ya know.....the brown in the pic ties in with your couch. The white matches the woodwork. I do like the idea of plates with the buffet, too.
September 13, 2014 at 11:24AM        Thanked by Laura
CDR Design
I think it looks great in the living room!! Yes, you could flank it with sconces that are functional with downlight (not just accent sconces).
September 13, 2014 at 11:27AM     
Laura
I love the idea of not having to buy something new for the living room! I'm going to leave it there for a while and make sure we like it. I'll play with plates later…

And Abbyjean, as much as I'd love to hit up some vintage stores this weekend, I have a feeling it won't happen until my mom comes next month for an extended visit. We need a babysitter, so we don't have to bring the kids with us. :)
September 13, 2014 at 11:35AM     
homesweethome !
I really like the picture above the couch and the red chair:)
September 13, 2014 at 12:00PM        Thanked by Laura
CDR Design
Not shown in photo is a reddish brick fireplace in the living room. Also, there is a red-brown ottoman that lcoxl11 is trying to fit in the room. I would say it is close to some of the deeper red color of the flowers in the art.
September 13, 2014 at 12:07PM        Thanked by Laura
Laura
Ok. So we moved the art into the living room and I really think it will work well there! (The kids are hanging out there right now, so I'll have to snap a picture to share later).

I started to play with a plate wall over the buffet using paper plates. I think I like it, but we'd definitely need something more on the buffet. I also think it makes the back wall seem much more bare and the bird art on the staircase wall isn't enough. So what I'm thinking is plates over the buffet, art on either side of the door on the back wall, nothing on the staircase wall. What do you think?

Does the plate wall look too farmhouse/cottage?

I also swapped out the candles for shorter ones in the arrangement on the table and I'm really starting to like it.
September 14, 2014 at 10:29AM     
Laura
And I should add that we like that farmhouse look. My husband grew up on a farm, would love to be on American Pickers, and we love searching for cool vintage finds. But we also really like the more streamlined, uncluttered modern look, so I guess the question is, how do you marry the two?!
September 14, 2014 at 10:52AM   
abbyjean
You did an awesome job on that plate arrangement! Have the kids decorate those plates so when you company comes, they will see beauty there, huh? LOL

And what you have done with the candles sticks/candles on the table....love that. I was not crazy about it when they were first placed there yesterday, but I am warming up to it now.
September 14, 2014 at 11:26AM     
abbyjean
The metal piece you showed yesterday....would that work between the windows? Or did you decide it is best bare?

The chippy spoon piece is still a favorite of mine. What could go with that to make a wall vignette?

Did you change your name?
September 14, 2014 at 11:28AM   
Ann
Everything is looking nice! A plate arrangement could look very nice!
September 14, 2014 at 11:32AM   
Laura
Thanks, Ann and Abbyjean!

I did change my name. I got tired of being anonymous. ;)

I'm going to wait on the area between the windows until I figure out what goes over the buffet. I'm afraid the metal piece or the chippy spoons might be too casual. (And the spoons will probably end up in the kitchen).

What do you think of the wicker chairs? We bought them for our kitchen and they end up kind of moving through the house. I'm usually using one in my office and they often end up used for extra seating in our kitchen. Do you think they're too casual for the dining room? If I go with a white plate wall, would something else be better?
September 14, 2014 at 11:59AM   
CDR Design
Hi Laura,

I took a look at your dining room idea book again. What I am seeing

-clean lines
-transitional style with contemporary sensibility
-light colors (for the most part)

Please tell me if I am wrong. Based upon what I am seeing of items you have, you used to be sort of shabby-chic, but your tastes have changed. That is okay. You want to incorporate some of your old items but aren't sure which. Some of them I would advise selling or donating. Some can be used in a more up to date way.

Take a look again at this photo. The plates give credence to the old plates, but do it in a modern way. Crystal and cottagy are combined and it works. The key is to give the room mostly a more contemporary look.

Suggestions:

-the bamboo chairs are too high for the clean-lined look you are seeking. Buy either 2 more matching chairs or 2 of the same height at least. If not in your budget now, wait until they re in your budget. In the mean time, I would remove the bamboo chairs.

-Buy a couple of floor lamps that you can place on either side of the buffet. Crystal ones with white shades that nod to both the chandelier and the bubble candle holders in the center.

Lamps below are on sale at Pier One for $170 each.

-I would change the hardware on the buffet--chrome

[houzz=Jane Lockhart Kylemore Custom Home]
[houzz=Serena Floor Lamp]
September 14, 2014 at 2:34PM   
Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
I agree with you on the shutters and feel they can really closeup the room...shutters have a place and are great for some areas...as far as bringing life into your room...I really think you need some color...and it could be that without a design plan you will never be able to actually feel confident until you see a plan...we can do this for you and we can do it for anyplace in the USA! Please take a look at my HOUZZ page and Website....714-970-8000...25 years!
September 14, 2014 at 2:46PM      Thanked by Laura
Laura
I think you pretty much nailed it, CDR! I might have even had a Rachel Ashwell book at one point in the 90's. ;) I still appreciate that look as pretty, but it's not how I want my home to look. I think the one caveat I have is that my husband leans a little more traditional, especially when it comes to art. For example, I found chairs similar to the one in this picture and they were too contemporary for him. He also tends to like darker colors than I do, so sometimes there's some compromise there.

I love those Pier 1 lamps. I think it was Ann who mentioned lamps on the buffet a while ago and I said the outlets were in an odd spot (near the corners). This is a strange question, but is there a way to conceal the cords?

September 14, 2014 at 4:06PM   
CDR Design
I think you and your husband's styles are not that far apart that you can't make this work.

I was thinking that using floor lamps instead of buffet lamps would allow the plate art to be longer and more of a statement. This would also solve the issue of the outlets.

However, if you do choose buffet lamps and a shorter plate configuration, you can then place the chairs in front of the outlet.

You can buy channeling for the cords, but I don't think you'll need it.

The art work that you bought is very traditional. I feel whether you use it in the dining room or living room, you are going to need to add a lot more contemporary items to balance it......whether it be in the frame or just elsewhere in the room.

Plates: I think it would be fun to add a few with color or pattern.
September 14, 2014 at 4:19PM     
sondramartina
I personally don't like the plates ,I believe you can something better for the DR wall.
It's usually hard to get them right
September 14, 2014 at 4:29PM     
Laura
Thanks for the input, sondramartina! What do suggest? Art? Mirrors?

What about a grouping of mirrors? Does that eliminate the "I don't like to see myself eat" feeling?

I'm drawn to the idea of the plates because I like the look and I like the idea of finding them, but I want it to look nice.

September 14, 2014 at 5:12PM   
abbyjean
I just feel like plates 'go with' a dining room and mirrors, not so much. They would be foyers and bedrooms/bathrooms. BUT that is probably just me, too. And I think it would be fun to find the plates and they would add a great design with some color thrown in. Again, just me, as the search is part of the fun.
September 14, 2014 at 5:15PM      Thanked by Laura
September 14, 2014 at 6:42PM        Thanked by Laura
sondramartina
Plates for those who like them :-)

September 14, 2014 at 6:44PM   
abbyjean
Plate overload, I think. Too much of a good thing.
September 14, 2014 at 6:46PM     
sondramartina
I agree
Large painting?

September 14, 2014 at 6:48PM   
Laura
Ha! Plate overload for sure! That's definitely not the look we're going for. :)
September 14, 2014 at 7:42PM   
tgb1
I had to laugh when you were talking about shabby chic and Rachel Ashwell! I still own 2 of her books and I look at them from time to time! My style preferences have also evolved but I do still appreciate her sense of style.
September 14, 2014 at 7:43PM     
Laura
I found these at Homegoods a few weeks ago and bought them to try in our living room (before we bought the red chair). I keep seeing similar art in dining rooms and I'm wondering if they would have worked.

Bridgeman Downs
6 Light Marigot Chandelier - Transitional - dining room - Kerrisdale Design
September 14, 2014 at 7:57PM     
CDR Design
Hi Laura,

Do you have only 2 of the pieces of art?
Do you like them or love them?
What about the rug? Do you like it or love it? Is it your style? Was that the rug that was formerly in the living room?

Don't add anything to a room unless you love it.

2 observations:

1) In your idea book, each of the dining rooms has something spectacular. It might be the chandelier or something really stunning on the wall. Right now, there is nothing that stands out to me in your dining room. I think you need something on the wall with a real punch.

2) Some of what you mention you like in the rooms is the color. One is painted a deep gray, for example. Are you willing to paint the room?

This is why I was surprised when you added the very traditional art. It is very traditional and sedate. Nothing wrong with that.....just does not jive with the message you are sending in your idea book.

Part of what is stunning about the plate arrangement I posted, is the contrast of the white against the dark gray. Another element is the asymmetrical aspect of it (which makes is easier to hang).

If you don't want to paint, consider adding several plates with color
Consider art that is mostly one shade for a large, contemporary impact.

September 15, 2014 at 3:43AM   
CDR Design
Here are a couple pieces from Kirklands that actually look better in person than on their website. Big impact. Low price. Not original art, but oil on canvas look and a copy of original art. I have seen them in person.

If you get tired of them in a couple of years, no guilt. I think they would work well with your wall paint.

September 15, 2014 at 3:54AM     
Laura
Hi CDR, I only had two pieces of the coral art and we ended up returning it because we needed three and didn't love it. We couldn't decide if it was pretty or look like blood splatter, but man, I think the blue versions above look beautiful.

Great advice to not bring anything into the room unless we love it. We're trying to be thoughtful about our choices because we both want our home to feel collected and reflect our personalities - not like we ran out bought all the things to fill the space - and I love the process of working on the house. But sometimes it's hard to be patient. ;)

The art we had in here is very traditional, and it's a pretty good example of the art my husband tends to like. The room it was in when I found it had white couches and red pillows and it didn't seem quite so sedate. The furnishings were also much more traditional, so I guess it just worked better there. We haven't been able to get it to look as good as it did there.

The rug is the rug that used to live in the living room. I really liked it when we first bought it (about 3 years ago), but found it really limited what we could do for pillows, etc. because the pattern is so bold. It works better in the dining room than it has anywhere else. For now, we don't want to spend the money on a new rug because we have two old cats and three young kids that wreak havoc on our floors.

I completely agree we need some punch. I am open to painting. Right now, the entire first floor is the same color - BM November Rain - and I loved it when we first painted because it seemed clean and fresh and bright, but as we're working on each room, I'm realizing we'll probably need to change it. I just don't want to go too dark - like that deep gray or the dark blue - because we get so little light.

Part of me wonders if we shouldn't add some drama with paint and good enough for now art (like plates or something from Kirkland's) and then focus on the living room.

I've never been to Kirkland's but we have one nearby. I'll go check out their art.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm going in circles. This process is so helpful and I really appreciate all of the advice and input. Like I said, I enjoy the process and it's fun to throw around ideas. And I do feel like we are making progress - I'm learning a ton, refining our style, and slowly but surely making our house shine. Thanks, everyone!
September 15, 2014 at 4:32AM     
CDR Design
Note in this photo the coral pics work because

-the chairs are blue
-the wall is blue-gray

So, the art seems pulled into the rest. The centerpiece is eye-catching and the chandelier is very different.

Also, a lot of texture going on.

]
September 15, 2014 at 4:49AM     
CDR Design
I think you can work with the rug. Honestly, I would take a trip to Kirklands (not high end by any means) and they still sell shabby chic stuff also....so don't be tempted by that.

They are very good about returns, so bring home a few pieces of art and try them.

How wide is your buffet?
September 15, 2014 at 4:52AM   
CDR Design
You might want to try....just for fun.....bring your red chair into the dining room to see what an impact one piece can make.

It doesn't have to be red, but a couple of chairs with color would add a lot.

Pier one has a lot of colorful dining chairs.

]
September 15, 2014 at 4:56AM   
mbebawy
Me and my husband just moved to geneva switzerland and we finally found a place in beautiful Eaux Vives.
We are bit confused in the set-up. This place should foster for the living room,tv and dining. We want the living room to foster for big number of people in case we have friends over or staying over (maybe sofas that turn into sofa beds),but having a spacious space is still important rather than having a clutter of furniture. Attaching room view from both sides..ideas please :)
September 15, 2014 at 4:57AM   
Nikolas Bahtinov interior design & architecture
Frame of painting is too large above drawers and need some space. Also add clock some decor to drawers top. Add flowers on table. http://bahtinov.ru/portfolio/
September 15, 2014 at 5:11AM   
@mebebawy - it appears you've hijacked Laura's dilemma. Please start your own dilemma separately.
September 15, 2014 at 7:19AM      Thanked by Laura
Laura
Lol! I promise not to pick up any shabby chic decor at Kirkland's. :)

The buffet is 64 inches wide.
September 15, 2014 at 8:06AM   
Ann
Looking back over the pics, I think I do like the wicker chairs in the room, but I think I prefer them at the table ends. Though I like chairs at each end of the buffet, those clash a bit with the buffet. But, I actually like the texture and the different element (wicker) they add to the room and I also like the way they look on top of the rug, so I might put them back at the table. I like the idea of a plate arrangement, but I think it's the dark wall that makes that special. If you like that plan, what about painting only that wall as a quite dark accent wall and doing a plate arrangement? I think you'd want to be pretty bold with the paint color and go pretty dark. The other walls could remain as they are. I don't think it would make the room look dark at all. If you want to leave the wall color as is, I think I'd just use art over the buffet rather than a plate grouping. I think the candle sticks are working pretty well on the table in your latest arrangement of them.
September 15, 2014 at 8:09AM      Thanked by Laura
Laura
Just for fun...
September 15, 2014 at 8:12AM   
Ann
Interesting, but I'm not liking red next to the buffet. Blue would be better.
September 15, 2014 at 8:15AM     
Laura
Thanks, Ann. I have mixed feelings about the chairs. I like how they add width and help fill the buffet wall, but the color seems off when it's right up against the buffet (they're more gray?) - in a way I don't notice when they're on the rug. Honestly, we've had them for a about two years and they haven't held up all that well, so I like the idea of starting to look for replacements. For now, they'll probably continue to be traveling chairs until we find something we love for the dining room.

I agree - plates definitely need a dark background. Do you think an accent wall would work with the wainscoting or would that seem busy?
September 15, 2014 at 8:18AM   
Laura
I'm with you. I think the buffet has an orange-y undertone that does't look right next to the red chair. Let me take one with the chair at the table to see what that does.
September 15, 2014 at 8:20AM   
Angela Todd Designs
I would start with an area rug,. The space needs texture and you need an inspiration for the chandelier, fabric for window treatments, and so on. It would also be best to break up the wood finish on the table from the hardwood floor. And adding captain chairs with pattern would be a big help. Vary the type of chair. Perhaps a high back?
September 15, 2014 at 8:20AM      Thanked by Laura
Laura
The red away from the buffet.
September 15, 2014 at 8:23AM   
Laura
Thanks, Angela! We've replaced the light, pulled in a rug from another room, and added panels. I probably should have started a new thread because so much has changed since I first started the dilemma!
September 15, 2014 at 8:26AM   
Ann
Exactly Laura! I have a sofa the color of your red chair and used to have a coffee table the color of your buffet. I replaced the coffee table due to the same color clash. I think the accent wall might look quite nice with the wainscoting but I would first browse lots of Houzz pics looking for examples if you decide you want to go with an accent wall. The plate arrangement could look quite amazing if you get it right, but for me, it would take a bit of nerve to approach the whole task (accent wall, plate selection, plate arrangement). Art would certainly work too (and would be easier), but might not be quite as interesting.
September 15, 2014 at 8:30AM     
CDR Design
Laura,

I suggested you bring in the red chair only to see the impact it would make in the room. I am not necessarily suggesting you use red. See what I mean?

Can you take a photo of the chair at the table from a distance?

Do you have a chair that is a different color you can try?

I think the bamboo chairs are too high and just don't fit in with the look you are trying to achieve.

If the plates are not valuable, what do you think of spray-painting the plates?
September 15, 2014 at 8:30AM   
Laura
I usually shy away from color and even said over the weekend that I'd like to keep things neutral, but then I see this color combination and think I must be nuts for wanting to stick with that!

(And for the record, if I had my druthers, my entire house would be shades of that watery green/blue.)

September 15, 2014 at 8:31AM   
Ann
I'm still thinking blue rather than red.
September 15, 2014 at 8:31AM   
Laura
I need to stop looking at pictures. :/

September 15, 2014 at 8:32AM   
Ann
Oh, the color in the Lovejoy room is beautiful!
September 15, 2014 at 8:34AM   
CDR Design
dark plates against a light wall....I still think the Jane Lockhardt arrangement is more interesting, but just showing the impact of dark plates against light background.

]
September 15, 2014 at 8:35AM   
CDR Design
and notice in both rooms it is paper......not paint
September 15, 2014 at 8:36AM   
Ann
I definitely think those "cool" colors could be fantastic in your room, either on the walls or two new chairs.
September 15, 2014 at 8:37AM   
Laura
I don't have anything bold. This one is a light blue with tan piping. It's hard to tell in the picture, but it actually looks nice with the rug.

I do like the idea of adding a little color. It does make the room feel cozier and more complete.
September 15, 2014 at 8:38AM   
Laura
I have a thing for grasscloth, but I don't think that's in our budget. :(
September 15, 2014 at 8:40AM     
CDR Design
on sale at Pier One. $200 each.

]
September 15, 2014 at 8:41AM   
abbyjean
Blue is nice with your rug. Any other blue in your home or would blue be isolated?
September 15, 2014 at 8:41AM   
Laura
Thanks for the dark plates against the light wall. Maybe it's the other elements int he room, but that feels more traditional to me. I definitely prefer the light plates on the darker wall.
September 15, 2014 at 8:42AM     
CDR Design
I can't see the blue in the chair. A chair that large is too big for the end, unless you take out a leaf.
September 15, 2014 at 8:42AM   
CDR Design
I see what you mean about the plates. I think it is the arrangement also that makes the dark plates look more traditional.
September 15, 2014 at 8:43AM     
Laura
Blue everywhere, Abbyjean! Our bedroom, my office that's right across the hall from the dining room, our basement family room/playroom.
September 15, 2014 at 8:44AM     
Ann
I love grasscloth too. When I was a little girl, my mom hired a designer once to work on a few rooms in our house. The designer added grasscloth to our entry and hallway. It was fantastic! Boy, did my Mom love it!
September 15, 2014 at 8:45AM     
Laura
Oh, I know. I was just trying to see how the blue looked. I wouldn't use that chair there.
September 15, 2014 at 8:45AM   
Laura
I like the color on the front of that Pier 1 chair, but I don't like the damask on the back. I think I've seen something similar at World Market.
September 15, 2014 at 8:49AM     
Vintage Estate Homes
Choosing a bold paint color will definitely transform the dining area.
September 15, 2014 at 8:49AM     
Ann
I think there is no doubt blue would work. Or maybe green. Can you take a closeup pic of the colors in the rug? By the way, I like that rug quite a bit in the room.
September 15, 2014 at 8:50AM     
Laura
I love the texture the grasscloth adds to those rooms. There are a load of tutorials about how to do a faux grasscloth finish on your walls. I wonder if I could tackle that without it looking totally cheap?
September 15, 2014 at 8:52AM   
Ann
Laura, I'm a big chicken about paint colors. As an example, I just painted my whole upstairs in boring neutral accessible beige. BUT, I did recently buy an upholstered headboard in beige for the master bedroom and it was just lost against beige paint. So, I painted an accent wall in a deep chocolate brown. I kind of freaked out as we started painting, but you know what, I love that accent wall and the headboard is stunning now! I don't know if you want to do it, but I agree that a bold paint color or even one bold accent wall would transform the room. On the other hand, it's an attractive room as is and a bold color certainly isn't necessary (unless you choose to do a plate arrangement - lol).
September 15, 2014 at 8:56AM      Thanked by Laura
Laura
Here's a close up of the rug...lots of red, orange, teal, and green.
September 15, 2014 at 8:57AM     
Laura
Thanks for the pep talk, Ann! You're making me feel brave about paint. :)
September 15, 2014 at 9:01AM     
Ann
I especially like the gray blues and the blue greens in the rug. Before seeing a close up, the blues were what was really standing out to me as a great accent color choice. With the close up, I feel the same way, but I also love the blue green color that is shown often in the long slender leaves.
September 15, 2014 at 9:10AM   
Laura
I agree, Ann. I think blues would look great. I'm going to make a trip to Kirkland's and see about art. I think the next step is to figure out art vs. plates and how brave I'm feeling about color. ;)
September 15, 2014 at 9:18AM     
Laura
Thanks so much for all the help!!
September 15, 2014 at 9:18AM     
Ann
Nice CDR! I especially love flora or kennebunkport green!!
September 15, 2014 at 9:54AM     
CDR Design
I agree that the greens work better with the rug.
September 15, 2014 at 9:59AM   
Laura
I like the greens, too. Flora, especially. I also like beach glass. So pretty. Green makes me a little nervous only because it seems like it can be hard to get right…I picked a green paint once that I thought was going to be sage and my room ended up looking like a putting green.
September 15, 2014 at 10:28AM   
Laura
Of course, I've also have the same problem with blues. I've painted colors that I thought were going to be gray-blue and they ended up looking like baby blue, so maybe the problem is me. ;)
September 15, 2014 at 10:29AM   
CDR Design
Your steps are correct......first a trip to Kirklands to see if you can find a piece of art that will really make an impact.

Sea at Sunrise is almost 70" wide (too wide for your buffet). But Ulswater is 55", a perfect width for your buffet.

[houzz=Ullswater Framed Print | Kirkland's] [houzz=flora AF-470 Paint - Benjamin Moore flora Paint Color Details]
September 15, 2014 at 10:55AM     
Ann
Oh my, the Ullswater colors are absolutely perfect with your rug!
September 15, 2014 at 11:07AM     
Ann
Also, it's a fantastic price and has great reviews. I think it's very pretty!
September 15, 2014 at 11:12AM   
Ann
Laura, please excuse the very quick interruption. CDR, my little Restoration Hardware side table for my fireplace chair arrives tomorrow and all my daughter's new living room furniture arrives Wed. - Woohoo!
September 15, 2014 at 11:17AM     
September 15, 2014 at 11:18AM   
CDR Design
Laura, it is under glass. I would stay away from that. Glare.

It feels traditional to me, even though it is not listed that way. Looks like a pastel.

Also, the rug has a very busy pattern. So, with the art, you need a contrast in pattern size. I would go with something like Ulswater that is basically 3 horizontal bands of color.

I would go to Kirklands and pick out any you like an bring them home and try them. They are very good about returns.
September 15, 2014 at 11:29AM     
Laura
Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the tips!
September 15, 2014 at 11:34AM     
Laura
No problem, Ann! Do you have dilemma's for your living room and daughter's room? I'd love to check them out!
September 15, 2014 at 11:40AM   
CDR Design
For some reason, I think the little girl in your photo will be the one to choose. She just looks like she will pick out the right art.
September 15, 2014 at 12:08PM     
Laura
She is the boss, for sure! And she knows it. ;)
September 15, 2014 at 12:27PM     
Laura
I forgot I had these, but they could work with the rug. Too small for over the buffet, but maybe between the windows or on the back wall?
September 15, 2014 at 12:31PM     
CDR Design
The 2 pieces of framed art are a possibility....depending on what you choose for the main art, of course.
September 15, 2014 at 12:36PM     
Ann
Here's a link to my dilemma for my daughter's living room. It will get activated again this week with new pics when HOPEFULLY her new furniture looks fantistic in the room. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/1090614/will-these-choices-work
September 15, 2014 at 12:37PM   
Laura
Ann, I LOVE the brown accent wall in your bedroom! You have a beautiful home. I was quietly following along with your guest room update. :) I bookmarked your daughters dilemma - I can't wait to see how it turns out. Thanks for sharing!
September 15, 2014 at 12:46PM     
Ann
Thanks Laura and pics deleted:) I painted the brown accent wall before my whole upstairs was recently painted and I told to painters to leave that accent wall as is - I really, really like it, but it was a big bold move for me:) As far as my daughter's living room - it better turn out - I'll cry (seriously) if the furniture choice doesn't look good.
This is the first dilemma I've seen of yours, but CDR mentioned your living room and I found that dilemma. You remind me of me, moving around your house with the help of Houzz. It's great isn't it. My house doesn't look at all like the fancy Houzz pics, but it has sure improved. Your house is looking great and I bet, like me, you feel like you've learned a ton about decorating!
September 15, 2014 at 12:57PM   
Ann
Laura, lol, I just meant you remind me of me in our Houzz experiences. Obviously, you're a young mom with young kids and I'm a whole generation or more older at nearly 60 years old with grandchildren. But, we're both traveling through our houses with Houzz;)
September 15, 2014 at 1:30PM   
Laura
Ann, Houzz really is a great learning experience (and fun, too!)! I've moved around a ton. This is the first time in the twenty years since I graduated college that I'll live somewhere for longer than two years. Our house is nothing special - pretty typical late 70's colonial - but we have wonderful neighbors and great schools. We love it! And I love that we're finally putting down some roots, so I'm having fun thinking about how to make it a functional and beautiful place to live our lives and raise our family. And I'm always amazed at how generous people are with their time and ideas...such a great community!

I'm sure your daughter's furniture will be great!!
September 15, 2014 at 2:17PM     
Ann
Like you, we all like to think/chat about decorating all the time. I imagine many of us are highly addicted to Houzz. I know I am:) Plus, you make Houzz friends along the way!
September 15, 2014 at 3:12PM     
Ann
Just saw this Houzz pic when I logged in. Is this the Crate and Barrel bowl?
]
September 15, 2014 at 4:55PM   
Laura
It is. Looks nice!
September 15, 2014 at 5:28PM     
CDR Design
Starburst bowl from crate and barrel. I think z gallerie has a similar one.
September 15, 2014 at 5:32PM     
Need help to bring "life" to our new living room.
Just finished building modern brick house. Hardwood...
need to bring my dining room and living room to life
I would like to keep the table, the fireplace and chairs....
Need help to bring life to my dinning room
I was thinking of beige and white stripes on one wall....
Need help bringing living room to life!
Hi everyone, we've been decorating our living room...
Need help. Green carpet apartment.
I recently moved into an apartment with my sister....
Need Help: creating home office for two
We have a bonus room we use for an office, but it's...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
fix a patio umbrella
how do I fix the rope inside a patio umbrella that...
Large space above couch! Any ideas.
We are on a budget and open to any ideas! I was...