Tree in middle of the fence
roidixon
I purchased a property to build a house and I want to put up a new fence here, but there is a tree in the middle of it. Does anyone have any ideas for a solution that does not involve cutting this tree down, would look good, and also insure my dog does not escape from my back yard?
Denita
Here are a couple of ideas with fencing butting right up against the tree. Or you could box out the tree, but that would present problems of it's own.
Travis Heights Master Patio
Exteriorscapes
Chine dr. -cedar horizontal privacy screens front driveway
April 23, 2014 at 6:36PM        Thanked by roidixon
Addison Design
Why don't you just go around the tree
April 23, 2014 at 6:41PM   
roidixon
Thank you for the ideas Denita, I like the idea of a fence with horizontal boards, I'm not sure why this didn't occur to me.

As for going around the tree, I would prefer to not "box out the tree," and I like the idea of the fence running straight through this tree because of the way it has grown and sort of split into two. I would like to make this tree a focal point in my backyard somehow, with an spiffy fence running through it and possibly building a garden up around it with some sort of stone as a boarder or something of the like.
April 23, 2014 at 6:55PM     
lovebugsmom
The fence that Denita posted with the horizontal boards and section of chain link to keep the dog safe is awesome!
April 23, 2014 at 7:04PM     
Genevieve
This is a good time to consult your neighbours you could both agree on what side the tree should be and extend the fence one way or another leaving the tree alone .
April 23, 2014 at 7:41PM      Thanked by roidixon
bubbasgma
roi...Before you decide on a fence, you might have the tree checked by an arborist. From the photos, it looks like a birch, and they are susceptible to insects and are not long-lived.
April 23, 2014 at 7:44PM        Thanked by roidixon
roidixon
Genevieve, My site survey shows that the fence was actually built on my side of the property line. I do agree consultation with my new neighbours is necessary, but i would like to have a idea of what I want to do before i have a conversation with them.

Thanks for the advice bubbasgma, I have a crew coming to remove some trees off the lot once the ground is firmed up from the winter thaw, i can ask their arborist his opinion.
April 23, 2014 at 7:53PM     
roidixon
Thanks for the links
April 23, 2014 at 8:22PM     
Construction Guaranteed
Including the fence seems like a simple solution and can be accomplished while still maintaining security for the dog. Nice!
April 23, 2014 at 8:30PM   
bubbasgma
YW. I have a 25(?)year old "clump birch" in my yard and it has seen better days. =(
Drops lots of dead limbs every year. Crown is getting very thin. Very messy, with dead leaves falling all summer long.
April 23, 2014 at 8:33PM   
HI -- I can tell by looking at the pictures , it is time for the tree to go . Have it professionally removed , - then you can build your new fence . Then plant a row of dropmore linden trees a long in front of the fence ( 3 or 5 ).
April 23, 2014 at 8:50PM   
Genevieve
That Birch tree looks like a very healthy tree ,the bark is intact and according to what i have read on the links it also has a very long life span , like every tree from time to time it will drop branches if we don't clip them ourselves, nothing major there after all we or at least most need a hair cut right :) So since the tree is on your property then when you built the new fence move it over do not cut it like a wish bone it will die for sure ,it took so long for it to grow , frankly I hate to see the cutting of trees that are healthy and not a danger to anyone .

@ lefty47
if the tree looks that way ,it is because its still in the dormant stage,look around everything isn't looking that great either ,Spring is late this year ,at least where we are :) So think that it will be here soon and nature will show us its beauty soon enough ,at least I hope :)
April 24, 2014 at 5:57AM   
What do you think about the wood floors?
http://www.houzz.com/photos/17475235/Wood-Mode-White-Kitchen-traditional-kitchen-houston...
Need Help with Kitchen Design
We are remodeling the kitchen & adjacent living room(eventually...
Montana suede
Has anyone chosen Mastic siding in Montana Suede? Are...
Paint Color Choice - Revere Pewter
I need some advice. Has anyone ever used Revere Pewter...
Need help with color combinations
Would a khaki couch and a brown leather recliner work...