Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sqstuart

help! we ruined our house

sqstuart
10 years ago
we put on a black roof then sandblasted our cinder block (CMU) house. the roof seems too dark, but we stuck with the changes we just paid for. (the roof and the sandblasted cinder blocks part of the house) How can I improve the look by painting the trim, installing a new door (and painting),, installing a new front porch light, mailbox, house numbers. Please help!

Comments (13)

• karemore55
    10 years ago
    Your house looks fine on my monitor! But, all of the small improvements you mentioned will really add to the curb appeal of your home.

I would do black house numbers (as large as you can find), mailbox, exterior light, etc.

Try robin's egg blue for your front door.
  • PRO
    Windows Etc.,Inc
    10 years ago
    You just need some curb appeal, how about all u mentioned, cut back or thin out the trees, some smaller shrubs in front of the porch or flowering shrubs with color. Definitely some color on the door.
  • decorgirly
    10 years ago
    paint the door a bright color and add some lights
  • Audrey Ashraf
    10 years ago
    I don't think you ruined it! Just needs some spice. I would paint the door Tiffany blue, add a couple of lights, throw some colorful potted flowers by the doorway, and call it a day!
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    In addition to trimming the trees and painting the front door a color, you could add some potted planters to the front porch, and possibly hang a window box under the higher window. Now add two comfy chairs with a little table between them and you are ready to sit out and have a cup of tea. LOL. Your house is perfectly fine just needs to be gussied up a bit to give it some curb appeal.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Those are big bushes BUT they look like big beautiful crepe myrtles that are about to explode into bloom. They will be gorgeous with colour. I would recommend next Feb. that you cut them back. I call it Crepe MURDER, the horrible job folks do to these blooming trees. Anyway, you may choose to remove them come next year but dont Do Not cut now if they are Crepes! I have NO vision when it comes to a landscape plan but I know enough to say I think you are missing one. Some croutons would be gorgeous and some deep deep green shrubs and plants. Keep in mind, you have no chairs, no potted flowers or anything yet on your porch. Don't panic. Black is a clean crisp look for a roof, IMHO. I wish mine was. (Don't know if I spelled croutons correctly, sorry? I will educate myself)
  • doctornancy
    10 years ago
    Tree trimmers, paint, light fixture, pot of flowers, and voile - lovely home!
  • PRO
    Windows Etc.,Inc
    10 years ago
    How about adding a chair or small bench to the porch, will make it look inviting.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Relax, your house looks fine, black roof goes with anything and everything.
    The roof color should be neutral... neutral color gives you the flexibility with the rest of the materials and other colors on your house.
    There is so many roof colors on the market today, and so many colors for exterior coverings, blue, yellow, red, etc it can drive a person nuts when it comes to making a choice, and no matter what neutral color is selected, it works with any other color on the house and it looks fantastic.
    When did last time you heard someone said, beautiful roof color? Unless you have, clay tile, slate or perhaps stone coated steel, someone may make a comment... other then that the main focus is the front facade, and visitors will always comment on landscaping, beautiful brick work, nice windows or columns, etc.

On the general note, when selecting a roof color keep in mind that roof color choice also affects shingle life, especially in hot climates. If you in Florida light colored roof will stay cooler and keep the attic temperatures lower. At the same time roof color alone has little effect on energy balance if you have a well insulated house no matter in the winter or summer months, any roof will perform the same. The attic insulation and attic ventilation rate are most important factors. So don't worry and go with whatever color you like, it makes no difference.
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

Roof color does make a difference environmentally; the lighter it is the more sunlight is reflected back rather than being absorbed. Mother Nature will appreciate it and so will our grandchildren.

• auntiebuzzybee
    8 years ago

Old Post from a year ago. OP never even commented to the help they received. Close the thread.

• pdk920
    8 years ago

Thanks, auntiebuzzybee. I never notice the date until it's too late!