Mae
Hi, This is the exterior of the house that we just closed on. The color is pretty, but I am just wondering if there were any other colors out there that you think would be better? I have a hard time picturing it in a different color.

Also, would you all please give me some professional opinion on what to do with landscaping that has minimal maintenance? Thank you so much!
bepsf
I love the blue - So classic but not common!
It's a shame it's not continued all the way around the house tho...
March 2, 2012 at 2:59pm   
Hi Mae, you can try a forest green grey for a more sophisticated elevation.
March 2, 2012 at 7:23pm   
Mae
Bepsf, I love the blue too, and the blue does go around the house.
Dytecture, love the grey and green combo. Just another thought, if I were to go with another shade of blue, what should I go with, lighter or d
arker?
March 2, 2012 at 7:36pm   
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
I personally only like blue on a shingle style house and I prefer a gray/blue. So this wouldn't be my first choice. I think your house would look good with Gettysburg Gray HC-107 as the field color and Dragon's Breath 1547 on the trim, including shutters and rail. Both of these colors are by Benjamin Moore. A beautiful shade of light olive with gray undertones and a dark olive that looks almost brown. Looks beautiful with verdigris or brass hardware, giving the house a slight craftsman reference. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
March 2, 2012 at 7:57pm   
Glenna Partridge Garden Design
Hi Mae,

My client's house has a very similar colour. I plant white, blue, and light pink flowers with touches of silver foliage. The front of their house has boxwood along the path to the doorway which takes sun or shade and is very easy to care for. The boxwood I planted is Buxus sempervirens 'Suffruticosa' which stays very small (2' approx.) I also have hydrangeas planted in the borders for flowers in the fall and a magnolia tree for white blooms in March. Both are low maintenance. In spring I plant 'Angelique' tulips (double pink) in the containers and along the path. Some years I put in both white and pink tulips. In summer I replace them white annuals in mass which contrast nicely with the blue and it picks up the white trim.

The back garden has perennials that have a cottage feel to them. Roses, lavender, iris, euphorbia, salvia are some of the plants. I hope this gives you a few ideas.
March 5, 2012 at 6:47pm     
Mae
Glenna, I can't describe how appreciative I am with the efforts you put in in helping me solve this dilemma. I was just wondering though, in weather like it is in the Midwest (where it snows more often than not), what are some of the plants or other landscaping ideas you would recommend?

Once again, Glenna P., thank you so much.
March 5, 2012 at 7:03pm   
Glenna Partridge Garden Design
Mae, If you google USDA zone map you can find out what exact zone you are and then I'll know what will work in your climate. It snows here in Vancouver a few times a year but we don't get extreme cold for very long....We are very similar in climate to Seattle. Let me know what zone you are and I'll get back to you with some recommendations.
March 5, 2012 at 7:11pm   
Mae
Hi Glenna, my zone is Zone 5b : -15 to -10 (F), if that is helpful. I would like to hire someone and do lanscaping for the exterior, but the remodeling has add up significantly, so we have very limited budget left for landscaping. So, any help of yours would be very appreciated. Thanks again.
March 5, 2012 at 7:21pm   
Mae
Another question that I would like to ask is that, do you know the brand name and the name of the paint color on the exterior of your client's house? It looks so beautiful and a slighly darker color that we are trying to achieve. Thanks.
March 5, 2012 at 7:23pm   
Glenna Partridge Garden Design
I will check with my client about the colour of their exterior and get back to you.

Plants that are hardy for your area that are the same "feel" as the ones in my garden:

Shrubs Deciduous:
Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum (Japanese Snowball Bush)
Syringa vulgaris (Lilac)
Rosa Rugosa (Hardy rose)
Hydrangea paniculata
Hydrangea quercifolia (nice foliage that turns colour in the fall!)

Shrubs Evergreen:
Buxus microphyllus 'Winter Gem'
Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil' (tall and very narrow)
Rhododendren yakushimanum 'Yaku Princess' (dwarf rhododendren)
Daphne x burkwoodii 'Carole Mackie'
Sarcococca (Sweet Box) check with your designer about this....possibly borderline hardy.

Ask your designer about hardy conifers for your area for more low care evergreen plants.

Perennials:
Salvia superba
Peony
Iris
lily
Daylily
Iberis sempervirens 'Snowflake'
Helebore Royal Heritage
Pachysandra (Ground cover)
Cimicifuga (Dark leaves,white flowers, narrow)

Flowering Trees:
'Prunus subhirtella "Autumnalis" (Cherry Tree)
Cercis Canadensis, is also known as the eastern redbud
Prunus serrulata "Kwanzan"
Star Magnolia

Your designer should be able to tell you the larger plants to put in first...start with the structure first and then you can follow up with additions to the borders. As long as you have a good plan you can phase in more planting next year.
March 5, 2012 at 9:01pm   
mousemaker
i would recommend removing the stones from around the tree. it looks nice, but the tree roots should not have that much weight on them, esp.when the tree gets larger, hopefully.
March 6, 2012 at 7:30am   
Glenna Partridge Garden Design
Hi Mae, I finally have the name of the colour you were inquiring about for the exterior of my client's house. It's from Benjamin Moore - colour is Newburyport Blue.
March 12, 2012 at 5:27pm   
Mae
Hi and thank you Glenna! I think we will paint it in this color, after we try pressure washing the exterior. Thank you again for all the help, Glenna!
March 12, 2012 at 5:51pm   
how wide a sink base cabinet required for a 29" farm sink?
I'm designing a small kitchen where every inch counts!...
Did I make the right call?
I have added new backsplash. In my eyes I believe...
What's your best housekeeping tip?
Occasionally my 12 year old daughter will clean the...
Kitchen tile backsplash
What is the best way to terminate the backsplash next...
Stair runner - thoughts?
Hi - I would love some feedback on this runner. The...