Need ideas on decorating small ranch
christine02360
Getting a divorce and moving from a 4000 sq ft home to a 900 sq ft ranch. Need help with how to decorate small spaces. I have many larger pieces of artwork & furniture and not sure I can take with me.
1 Like   April 25, 2014 at 7:50AM
christine02360
I own this house with my husband. Tenant occupied at the moment
0 Likes   April 25, 2014 at 7:56AM
apple_pie_order
2 bedrooms, one bath, living room, kitchen, dining room? Will there be children living with you or will you have occasional guests who need a bedroom?

I would set three budget ranges (small, medium, large), depending on your resources after the divorce. When moving into a former rental, it's reasonable to engage a professional cleaning service for a more thorough than usual scrub down. Also paint from top to bottom is a reasonable expense. New flooring? Sometimes necessary.

You might go through the artwork and furniture to pick out your favorites, then see how they'd fit in the small house. It's very likely that the living room furniture will be too big to walk around in a small space. Also, many divorced people buy new bedroom furniture.

Using a commercial storage area can be a good solution for a year or six months. Measure and photograph things before they go into storage. If you go this route, make sure the storage is easily accessible from your new place.
0 Likes   April 25, 2014 at 8:24AM
christine02360
Hardwood throughout and granite stainless kitchen. I have one son in college who will stay with me
0 Likes   April 25, 2014 at 8:36AM
apple_pie_order
Great floor plan, nice balcony, deck and sink on outside wall, presumably with view over deck.

I'd set aside one bedroom as the son's room with him picking out which items to take from his current bedroom. His stuff can go in those large plastic boxes if he doesn't want to sort it all out immediately. Bed, chest of drawers, bookcase, chair, maybe desk, maybe no desk. They tend to work on laptops nowadays. He might want a twin extra long bed like the dorms have these days.

Small round table (with expansion leaf?) with four chairs in dining area, sofa, one or two chairs in living room, coffee table, end table(s), lamps, rug, art.

Extra bedroom could be study later or storage for now.
1 Like   April 25, 2014 at 9:13AM
Patricia Colwell
The art work will be no problem but the furniture will have to be used in a different ways. I agree I would keep the pieces you love, store the rest and start working from there. It might be nice to turn 1 BR into T.V. space so LR can be more simple.
2 Likes   April 25, 2014 at 10:04AM
edithsmom
I would carefully measure all rooms and using graph paper, make a real floor plan. Then, measure each piece of furniture you know you want, draw the dimensions on a piece of colored paper, cut out those furniture pieces and start arranging in each of the rooms. (Easier for me than a computer program as many pieces are not available in correct dimensions). I did this for the last three houses we lived in, and find it works well to visualize the new areas as you can easily move the pieces around. You will know immediately which pieces to part with or store and which will work in your new life. Your paintings/art are probably best left until you have the furniture in place.
1 Like   April 26, 2014 at 1:03PM
Front Door Color - HELP???
No clue what color to paint the front door (which cannot...
Help needed to rev up the room
I posted earlier, but here are more pics to give a...
Living room layout
Would appreciate any thoughts regarding this living...
Help! What color should we paint the front door?
We have a painter coming next week and haven't decided...
Boring Bedroom needs Quickie Update
I've grown tired of my minimalist bedroom and I am...