Flooring options for infloor radiant heat
recpt2956
April 25, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Getting ready to start construction of new home in northern Michigan. Would like infloor radiant heat, and curious if anyone has had success or lack thereof with different types of flooring. We will not have carpet due to allergy issues. Portions of the home will be tile floors. We have heard that wood has a tendency to dry out over the infloor radiant and create flooring gaps or warping. We've heard that if engineered flooring gets wet it has a tendency to delaminate. Anyone know if cork or bamboo would be a good heat conductor? We are going to do have polished concrete in the basement level, which will also have the infloor radiant. Thanks!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Oak & Broad
High quality Engineered wood flooring (Domestic) will be your best bet. Followed by Rift & Quartered White Oak. Engineered flooring can also be glued down over concrete. I am not sure how wet you plan for your floor to get but a high quality Engineered floor will should be fine with typical use.
   April 25, 2014 at 11:43AM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Hi recpt. We have great success using a cork floating floor over in-floor heating. The floor is clicked together and life begins. Cork has a slightly wider "happy" zone for humidity swings. Cork can handle 35% - 65% humidity without being too upset. The floor will expand quite a bit in the summer...but the overall appearance is not upset by this expansion (that's why we require 1/2" expansion gaps at all walls).

Cork is an insulator = the heating system will need a bit more time to get up to temperature but once there the cork will slowly release the heat over time. For this reason, we do not recommend adding cork underlay...the system has to work too hard if there is too much cork. The cork floating floor is a very nice addition to in-floor radiant heat.

Bamboo is EXTREMELY sensitive to humidity changes = not a happy camper when working with radiant heating systems. High end, solid strand Bamboo can handle radiant heat but you must be fully aware of what you are getting yourself into. You MUST have an active humidistat present and ALWAYS producing 45%-60% humidity at a steady rate. That means the system is ALWAYS ON and running night and day to keep the humidity inside this range - without fail and without pause. Without the humidistat...bamboo floors are a poor choice.
   April 25, 2014 at 12:22PM
PRO
Warmup US - Floor Heating Systems
Hi Guys. You might be interested in knowing that our electric radiant heating systems can be installed under all types of floor (incl bamboo and cork) : http://www.warmup.com/us/how-to-choose-your-product.phtml
Besides, they can be used as a Primary Heating Source.
   July 8, 2014 at 8:31AM