Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan1933

What color to use on wall behind sofa? Trying to keep with tradition

susan1933
10 years ago
Help! Off-white wall behind the sofa needs a wallpaper or paint to help bring out rust/gold colors in sofa. Tiring to stay with era of furniture!

Comments (633)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Wow, he must have been a help to you over the years.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I'm remembering, it's so funny how the wall color was the beginning of all these wonderful new beginnings.
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Guess I will be living with anxiety still then b/c painting trim is a battle I would loose!
  • vobastero
    9 years ago
    I recomend you. Dark Brown.
    Highligth all the golden details.
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes we like the green walls. I'm sure it will seem better after the furniture gets put back.
    Wait till I inform hubby of ANOTHER mirror change!
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LOVE that DR pic!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I know and I understand his feelings on that. Believe it or not, I never thought my hubby would go for painting some of our oak moldings. When we did a petite bath over, he's the one that suggested it. I looked so surprised! I couldn't believe it, but he's seeing what's out there in homes and he grew tired of it, as I did, and not because of trend. Just was time for a change. Had them for so many years.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Mirror change too funny! LOL
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Be back later.
  • vobastero
    9 years ago
    Is mine. I have a lot of english furnitures, combined with a eclectic objects.
    Just I painted some walls in my appartment. Really works, due to create dinamism inside of the home.
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Guess oval frames wouldn't work then. Would gold color frames reflect or look better with the gold mirror across from it?
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Nice job - and the DR is awesome!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Yes, I mentioned that now that the wall is green and a gold mirror, Gold frames are good. Oval frames? Why do you have some hiding?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Vobastero, I like the column but almost missed it. Maybe a couple of shades lighter than the wall? Nice job!
  • jjandhk
    9 years ago
    susanport, have you sent photos of your DR? I haven't seen them :(
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Jjandhk,
    No pics of DR - too busy with LR & foyer. Besides, LB may run fast the other way!!
  • jjandhk
    9 years ago
    you're funny!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I'm too invested, and have to see the final spaces. Not a chance.
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    A new look of foyer!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I like that very much. Clean neat, simple. Makes the space feel larger.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Is the armoire wall green like the rest of the living room walls?
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, ALL LR walls are same green color. I agree, I think the foyer looks larger!
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I had a shorter "fake" green tree there before (area to right of bench under the ugly thermostats.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    You can use that again there. It will warm the space with bringing the outdoors inside.

I will be painting a canvas, Need to get on that project. Will check in.
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Found 2 angel vases I had. Looks like too much in photo 1. Not sure the candles look good on mantle in photo 2.
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    These are variegated tassels in lighter shade of green & cream but mostly the green shows on them. With cream swags and "tea" Victorian valances that I call gold, not sure this combination works. Will attempt the windows tomorrow.
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Foyer, still feels so much larger!
    Photo 3 is the wall (light is distorting green wall as it is night).
    68" width of foyer wall from edge of wood molding to corner of wall.
    83" length of wall from top of baseboard to bottom of return register vent on wall.
    This is the wall where I will put the framed photos.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    The wallpaper makes that wall the focal wall of the room. I hope it wraps around on the sides of the fireplace and not just on the front side.

Mantle. I think the two white pieces will work. The green vases don't work there.

I think the tassels are fine. I like the tree plant in the entry too. Glad the entry feels larger.
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes the WP wraps around the sides of FP wall.
    Yes I agree those 3 green candles on mantle do not look good. I think you are saying to only one white item on each end of mantle?
    Very pleased with the new look!
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Not sure if tassels are placed correctly?
    Not sure how to make the valances work on the slider- will try your previous suggestion....
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Happy you like it! Yes, 2 white mantle items. Valences look great and tassels too. I will be out most of the day. Check in later. Thanks for posting pics. Great progress.
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Slider is difficult to arrange valances as there is no curtain rod...Long fringe is wrapped inside of the one side to allow for entering w/o fringe not to hit you in the head...Doubled on the other side.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I think you need 3-4 scarves to make this work for easy access. It may be easier to get one rod for this slider, placed under the 3 decorative holdbacks and not beyond the length of them.

I think I would cut one scarf in half vertically. Those will be scrunched closer together rather than flat. Those two halves go on the outside edges of the slider. Fill the rest of the space with 2 scarves
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks anyway, but don't understand....
    There are 3 scarfs used there now.
    Didn't want people ducking to get in and out of slider....
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Maybe this will help. Cut 1 scarf in half. Apply to each side of slider, scrunched.
    Scrunch the draped swags shorter than the other window swag heights.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Maybe you don't need the two top ones that are folded? from bracket to bracket?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Real busy today again. Check in later.
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    8 x 10 (approx) size for photos on foyer wall. (These are not measured just an idea for a look & see approach.)
    Photo # 3 is view from foyer mirror. Not sure if this size is too much for the wall; perhaps 5 x 7 would appear less busy & less congestion on wall.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Hi there. I like the 8 x 10 size. I also think you need to add 1 more row below those in the photo. The wall needs to be more scaled to the open space. I promise, it won't be too low in this situation.

Placement is very good. Start exactly where you have started. The spacing between each frame is very good.

I would get wide 3" mats for each frame and the photos themselves will be 5 x 7. Use 3" matting in off white. Now that the photos are smaller, they will be less busy having the frames larger to fill the wall proportionately. Great collage for special family memories. Good job!
  • susan1933
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sounds good. Will start looking at frames, etc. That is doable for me but the valances still stump me as the fabric is so fine that it will ravel if I cut it. Still don't get how the fringe won't hang down without hitting you in the head going in and out of slider.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    The fringe will be all hanging to the side because that piece is shirred real tight while the center one/s are spread out. Those side ones are a trim and do not drape in width across the rod. They are shirred very tight to have a jabot effect.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Hi Susan, just wondering how your progress is coming? Did you finish the photo wall in the entry? I would love to see the after pics of the rooms.
  • auntqueenie
    8 years ago

Came to your posted question about wallpaper or paint color to go with your sofa and room, a while back. I found these wallpapers on a decent website. I don't know if you still need suggestions or examples, but I'll let you decide.

Just for a design not the color. Check out the website. www.vintagewallpapers.com

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

Try this

Alamo Residence #1 · More Info

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

2014!!!

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    6 years ago

Hi Susan1933. Can you send me a private message please? Thank you!

• Laurie Becker-Urieta
    6 years ago
    I have a taupe color couch and love seat... glass coffee table. The color if my carpet, is sage green...Artic/ glacier blue, white. Its actually a palm leaf... I wanted to get throw pillows in a neutral theme..I have one pillow with a glacier blue flower, gorgeous pillow...I am not fond of geometric shapes...I never could could the right one..I need ideas. I believe pillows can make or break the glam of a house..Love mixing different textures with metalics
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    6 years ago

Hi Laurie. You will get more comments if you post and start your separate dilemma including your pics and people will comment on your project.

• Laurie Becker-Urieta
    6 years ago
    Hiya Lb.. thanks for the opinion...I think I'm going for a hint of gold metallic oversized pillow, behind the artic blue pillows... what would you recommend???
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Laurie. Smiling & waving at you. What I meant above .... was to post this in 'Design Dilemma' - 'advice' in Houzz.com. Post it there as a discussion that you start .... repost your above question & pictures. This will be your personal dilemma for everyone to give advice. You will have your own page (thread).

Start a dilemma in 'discussions & advice'. Hope this helps. I will try to find your post.

I love your rug! I would dye the scarf window treatment a tone of blue from the rug, bringing a unity of balance and color up into the room.

I would also add 1-2 predominantly blue tone pillows & 1 limey green/avocado? pillow on the sofa to give the sofa more life working with the rug's energy.