Need help selecting chandelier
Tino Escareno
Just finished expanding this dining room (was 1/2 the size before), and is long and narrow room now. I will be replacing the old dated chandelier , and I'm trying to go for a contemporary type chandelier that would stand out for this room, but am not sure what type (crystal , shade) or color chandelier would go great with this table and room. Canned lights are on a dimmer as well, so not sure if a chandelier brightness matters as well.

Would love some ideas from Houzz audience :)

Dimensions :
Room = 22' x 12'
Table = 96" x 43"

Images are from front and back perspective
Joyce Yin Architect
So many choices...
You probably already know, but in case not, it helps to hang the chandelier closer to the dining table, about 30-36" depending on the fixture and your preferences.

How about any of these?
Trickett Dining Room
Willow Glen Residence
While at CHil Desin Group
Renwick Loft

Sorry, I just realized the 3rd photo is of a custom fixture, but maybe there's something like it out there if you like it?
April 25, 2014 at 10:33pm      Thanked by Tino Escareno
Thos. Baker
Because of the long length of your dining table, as well as the room, I think a dramatic rectangular shaped chandelier with lots of wow factor would really set this room off. It depends on your personal aesthetic whether it should be crystal, wrought iron, with a shade....etc.

I think you can go in any direction with this room because it's a bare canvas right now, so the best bet is to choose the chandelier that makes you go "Wow, I love it!" and then build the rest of the room around that style.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
April 25, 2014 at 10:55pm        Thanked by Tino Escareno
Thos. Baker
A couple more that would be beautiful in your new dining room.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
April 25, 2014 at 10:57pm   
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Also consider a double chandler solution to address the length of the room.
April 25, 2014 at 11:53pm      Thanked by Tino Escareno
kruti88
consider using some bright colored lamp shades like these
April 26, 2014 at 12:00am      Thanked by Tino Escareno
Tino Escareno
Thank you all for you suggestions , as they are the direction we were thinking of going.

Christi, from Thos. Baker > I think we will lean towards the longer chandelier since it will help us fill up that upper space in the room.
One question though on color : I like the while one you suggested as well (and see they one like it at West Elm), but do you think if all my chairs are the same color as the ones in the picture (sand), that the while chandelier will not show contrast ? or would the goal with a white be to blend into the room / ceiling?

Krutti > thanks for the color suggestion, as I'm big on color, but my wife is more of neutral color fan , but she does think something with pop will go well.

Ill def post once we order and install.
April 26, 2014 at 11:53am   
Thos. Baker
Tino -- with the dark floors, dark table and gray walls, there are plenty of contrasts in the room for a white chandelier. In fact, it makes it even more important to have a white or glass chandelier to bring lightness to the room.

And since it's likely to be a large chandelier, it will stand out no matter what color chairs you have. The chandelier should be a prominent element in this room -- it's perfect for a bold, stylish, dramatic chandelier, so go for it with confidence!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
April 26, 2014 at 12:30pm     
Tino Escareno
so we ended up finding a decent item, and now have a new dilemma since the adjustments for the chandelier are very rigid (comes with 2 - 24" rods + 2-12" rods) :
- if we hang with the just the 24" rods > it hangs 40" above table
- if we hang with the 24"+12"rods > it hangs 28" above table ...
so I'm attaching a couple images with it at 28" above table :: does not look bad though , and does not obstruct when seated.
- the 3rd and 4th image (bottom 2) is when i had it at 40, is not horrible either:

Would you suggest keeping it at 40" or 28" ? and what is the rule, go higher or lower in these types of restraints?
April 28, 2014 at 11:33pm     
Thos. Baker
The lower setting is the correct one. 28 inches above the table. 40 inches is way too high and too close to the ceiling. Photos can be deceiving, but it looks a little off center in a couple of the pics. Is it centered above the table? Also, do you have a dimmer switch installed? For this type of chandelier, I would recommend a dimmer so you have the option of having more subdued lighting if you wish. It's a good looking, modern chandelier. Are you happy with it?

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
April 29, 2014 at 1:00am     
Joyce Yin Architect
28" for sure, as said above.
April 29, 2014 at 8:06am   
Galilee Lighting
Galilee lighting make beautiful lighting made of fused glass in unique designs and colors.
We advise our customers about the right size of chandelier for their space.
To receive our catalog by email, contact Sales@GalileeLighting
We deliver worldwide.
April 29, 2014 at 12:11pm      Thanked by Tino Escareno
flair lighting
is it off center?
April 29, 2014 at 1:51pm   
April 29, 2014 at 4:22pm   
fredm51
I would figure the height you like it best and if possible cut the pipe to that length
April 29, 2014 at 5:27pm   
Tino Escareno
Thanks for the input again : We are sticking to the 28" , since cutting the pipe is not an option because then we would have to re-thread it.

Table was not centered, since I just moved it in place whatever way incase i had to take the fixture down again.

But, going with the rectangular/longer chandelier was def the best option and thank everyone again for their input and time.
April 30, 2014 at 1:40pm     
Thos. Baker
You're most welcome. Enjoy your new space!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
April 30, 2014 at 1:42pm   
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I think you have the makings of a great dining room. Because it is quite narrow and will feel even narrower when you add side chairs, I would go for a long interesting chandelier that in silver and crystal. I would avoid anything fussy with lampshades etc. as well as any dark lighting fixtures as it will just overwhelm the space. Good luck from Montreal!
April 30, 2014 at 3:04pm   
April 30, 2014 at 3:10pm   
Need help selecting the size and style of front entryway chandelier!
I have a two story center hall colonial, 10 year old...
Need help selecting new chandelier
It's time to replace the old brass one but I can't...
Need help selecting a chandelier please
I live in a 1929 Spanish Colonial Revival. My living...
I need help selecting a chandelier for this 6ft dining table.
Have selected some, wanting satin nickle or similar...
Need help selecting a dining room chandelier for mid century table.
I inherited this walnut stained mid century dining...
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Need to check CNC art work at wood for interior modern style
Please need your advice with attached photoes for cnc...
Which parquet color for rosewood furniture
Most of my furniture are rosewood, they have a really...
Kitchen Dilemma
We are renting this home therefore I am stuck with...