What to do next...
lauraeva
I finally got window treatments for our new house! I'd like to start buying things, but I'm not sure what, so any insights would be appreciated! The orange wall was there when we purchased the house, I'm just not too sure what colour to paint it. This is the furniture from our old house, so I am willing to get new stuff. I'm considering moving the TV to the wall with the star on it. It's quite awkward to view in the place it is now. Oh, and I'd like to purchase a dining room table, but my window is 4 feet off the floor. My table now is quite tall; should I get a tall dining table to replace it, or just a normal height?
lauraeva
more photos
April 26, 2014 at 1:48PM   
flair lighting
lower that dining fixture, it has a bunch of extra chain and wire. if you dont plan to move it down then remove it..its floating in space.
April 26, 2014 at 1:51PM        Thanked by lauraeva
lauraeva
Thanks for the advice! I just did it. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not used to it, or because I have a tall table, but it seems so low now lol.
April 26, 2014 at 2:02PM   
flair lighting
add curtains to the living window even just panels. change the kitchen pendants everything is to matchy. get a nice piece of art over the dining table. swap the couches. and add lots of art and table lamps, floor lamps. the pendants in the picture are around 90.00 each and will do wonders!!! Cal Lighting.
April 26, 2014 at 2:31PM        Thanked by lauraeva
flair lighting
your just not used to it 24-30 off the top of the table is the correct distance.
April 26, 2014 at 2:32PM   
flair lighting
trust me it looks so much better!!
April 26, 2014 at 2:32PM     
flair lighting
add a center piece to table.
April 26, 2014 at 2:34PM   
lauraeva
That orange wall sure looks different! I would have never pictured it like that, so thank you for showing me! I really like the grey table lamp. I'm still undecided if I want to keep the orange wall, just because the rest of our house is cool colours. Our couch has warm colours which go with the orange wall, but the couches do not go with our cool coloured floor.
April 26, 2014 at 3:48PM   
flair lighting
you need a big cozy rug under the living room area, the couches look great to me, i agree the orange is a shock as far as the rest of the house goes, i would get rid of it too.
April 26, 2014 at 3:58PM   
flair lighting
maybe a purple shade would make a good pop of color?
April 26, 2014 at 4:07PM   
lauraeva
Wow, I actually really like that shade of purple! It's not so shocking, but gives the space some colour. Unfortunately, I don't think my husband is going to go for it however :(
April 26, 2014 at 4:13PM   
Chandani
I think you have some good suggestions. If you are willing to get new furniture, I'd consider a smaller scale, more tailored couch with perhaps a lower back and a couple of comfy club chairs. If you think you will buy the soft seating, then decide on the paint colour and rug after you have purchased them. I think a blue grey colour scheme would work nicely in your space.
April 26, 2014 at 5:03PM   
lauraeva
Darn! I was really hoping to get rid of that orange wall first. Actually I was thinking of buying a dining table first and some stools for the counter because it's hard to have enough seating with company over. That shouldn't make it too hard to pick out a couch I hope. Any suggestion for a table and chairs? I really liked these from Costco, but I didn't have a table so I didn't buy them and now they're sold out.
April 27, 2014 at 7:50AM   
A Kitchen That Works LLC
With respect to the dining table height, answer this question: do you eat breakfast/lunch at this table and if so would you likely do this with the window coverings open? Second question: are the typical diners at this table able bodied which means hiking themselves up on a bar stool will be a safe and comfortable action? If your answer is yes to both questions, then a cafe height table such as this one would be a good idea for capturing the view outside the window. http://www.wayfair.com/American-Heritage-Berkshire-7-Piece-Counter-Height-Dining-Set-713625-AHB1552.html
April 27, 2014 at 8:06AM     
lauraeva
I would eat breakfast during the work week at the kitchen counter if I had stools. I'm thinking a low profile saddle stool or something, because I don't want to take up any dining table space. I just don't know if that style would work with the space. We eat lunch and dinner at the table. You just got me thinking, there are new houses set to be built across the street. Maybe I don't want to be looking into their houses. If it would look okay with the window height, maybe I'll go with a regular height table.
April 27, 2014 at 8:20AM   
lauraeva
Do you think in order to make the window look okay, I would need something like this?

I don't know if there is room to squeeze one in, but the idea book talks about how the window would look funny without the buffet there.
April 27, 2014 at 8:26AM     
A Kitchen That Works LLC
A buffet would definitely put the window height into scale or even a simple library table which tend to be less deep. I recommend you go with your gut and select a standard height dining table.
April 27, 2014 at 9:06AM     
lauraeva
Thanks for your response! My question now is, how wide should the table be? Should it fit within the curtains? I can't open the curtains much more because it's disguising my uncentered window.
April 27, 2014 at 9:17AM   
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Leave 36" between the edge of the table and the next obstruction (wall, furniture, countertop, etc.) to provide enough room for people to back their chairs up. That should help you define the size along with centering the table on the window. Tables that have removable leaves are are always a good idea.
April 27, 2014 at 9:20AM     
lauraeva
Oh I think we're talking about different tables! I was confused there for a second. I think you're talking about the dining table. I'm talking about the buffet or library table. How wide will the buffet table need to be? I'm thinking it will look to small if it fits between the curtains, and funny if the curtains are behind it.
April 27, 2014 at 9:30AM   
Are you all familiar with this product? Comes from Room and Board and it comes in 11 different sizes and all combination of finishes and tops. A great product for the weird size space. : > ) Not terribly expensive, either.

I kind of like the orange wall, especially if your new furniture were white slipcovered pieces. Love this picture with the orange on the white sofa.

April 27, 2014 at 9:31AM      Thanked by lauraeva
lauraeva
Thanks! I actually think the Slim console table on their site would work best. It only sticks out 7 inches which is perfect. I'm still unsure on the width if anyone could help me out. The wall is 8 feet wide and the gap between the curtains is 3 feet wide.
April 27, 2014 at 9:45AM   
lauraeva
That's a really pretty space and I do like the colour with the floors. I think I would have to repaint the Snow Valley cream colour on the other walls though, and I don't really want to do that because it goes through all of the hallways. Maybe I could use it as an accent colour for the pillows like in the picture.
April 27, 2014 at 9:57AM   
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Either go with 36" or go with the mid point between the outer edge of the curtain and the perpendicular wall - although at 7" in depth, that might seem a bit disproportional. On second thought, stick with the 36" width.
April 27, 2014 at 10:00AM      Thanked by lauraeva
lauraeva
What would you recommend putting on a table that narrow? It doesn't seem big enough for two lamps on either side like in the photo I posted, but one lamp in the middle might look strange.
April 27, 2014 at 10:08AM   
intdesign101
Your house is beautiful! You need to add color and personality! I suggest hanging up colorful artwork or pictures on the walls!
April 27, 2014 at 10:11AM      Thanked by lauraeva
A Kitchen That Works LLC
@lauraeva, one small lamp on either the right or left would be fine, depending on where there is an oulet, but I would probably focus on small objects d'art or family photos.
April 27, 2014 at 10:20AM        Thanked by lauraeva
I'm not sure why you want a new dining set. The one you have fits well, looks good, and compensates for the window height.

Consider a funky buffet at the window, tall and painted a complementary color, at least as long as the window is wide, and bright art for the dining room wall (which I would probably keep orange).
April 27, 2014 at 11:03AM      Thanked by lauraeva
If the buffet were enough of a focal point, you wouldn't need to put anything on it, and it would be useful for storing dishes and linens.
April 27, 2014 at 11:06AM   
lauraeva
Thanks for the computer mockup of that. I really like the buffet. The table we have is pretty terrible. It's a table that belonged to my husband before we were married. It's from Walmart and it's pretty wobbly. I would also like to have more than two people over for dinner. It's a pretty small space however. It's 8x11' and that's 11' touching the counter. When I was looking for console tables, I saw one that gave me the idea of using an ikea Torsby table instead, as it would save a lot of my budget. My father is a woodworker and said he could easily make me a top for it. After seeing some glass top tables, now I'm wondering if glass would make the space feel bigger.
April 27, 2014 at 11:50AM   
lauraeva
Oh, I guess I should mention the Torsby table is a dining table, I just got the idea for the look from the console table.
April 27, 2014 at 12:00PM   
leelee
The first thing I noticed about your pictures is how many different light fixtures there are. Think about removing the semi-flush kitchen light and the small dual spot fixtures and replace with recessed lighting.

The chandelier could be replaced with something else, too. The pendant lights would be the ones to keep.
April 27, 2014 at 12:02PM      Thanked by lauraeva
8' x 11' is pretty small. You might consider doing a 3' x 5' table pushed to the wall like this. You could move the loveseat and get one extra chair on the end for company.
April 27, 2014 at 12:22PM   
lauraeva
Yeah I think 3' x 5' is the way to go and you're right, it could go either way. I will be shopping for a 3' x 5'. I'll post when I find something. Thanks!
April 28, 2014 at 5:54PM   
I've found pix with helpful features. What do I do next?
My "corner bath" ideabook now has pix with helpful...
Today 4/25/14 I received damaged order, what do I do next.
Today my order was delivered damaged. It was very badly...
I'm frozen...in fear, what do I do next?
I recently started updating my very traditional living...
Foyer light
I have a 40" silver colored orb light, chandelier in...
Curtain window
I want to ask about the distance that should be left...
osb flloring in kitchen
How do you get a nice finish? How do you minimize...
Need to protect my pegboard sink backsplash
I just put in a pegboard above my sink and painted...
Living room makeover
This is a rental that we are living in so no painting...