Need help with Living Room arrangement & item selection
Amy Baker
April 27, 2014 in Design Dilemma
When I find things I like, I notice they don't go together, so I'm not ready to move forward without a plan. I don't know how to align the things I like. And I'm not sure how to place anything in the room.

The living room is the first room in a house with a lot of doors. It seems smaller than it is because it's so enclosed. I took the photos with the shades up, but we usually keep them down for privacy. I just wanted to show the (little) amount of light that could come in.

Budgetwise, it would be great to keep things I have, but I'm emotionally ready to replace or remove most pieces. Hopefully you can tell the budget from the items I post that I liked.

Really love this couch: Coaster Alexis Transitional Microvelvet Love Seat in Charcoal

Looking at this coffee table: Oval Glass Coffee Table 3-piece Set

Love these rugs:
Contour CON25 5' x 7'6" Breeze Rug http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nourison-Tequila-Sunrise-Harvest-5-ft-x-7-ft-6-in-Area-Rug-076779/202742368?
Nourison Rhapsody RH001 8'6" x 11'6" Sunrise Rug (but not the price)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Designed Ecology
I would say that the furniture arrangement is the lesser of the problems. From the pictures of things you like, they are all modern and go together quite well; but not in this room as it is.
This room is suffering from wallpaper and draperies that are at total opposition to modern style. I would recommend starting will a solid wall color or a different, more contemporary wallpaper and replacing the draperies with something more streamlined. This would give you the basic background to make the modern furniture and rug selections work together.
1 Like   Thanked by Amy Baker    April 27, 2014 at 10:59AM
Amy Baker
That's good advice. I don't think the house (or it's inhabitants) can handle any more wallpaper, so I will look into painting. If we're going to paint we would probably refinish the floor at the same time.
0 Likes   April 27, 2014 at 11:15AM
Amy Baker
Ok I virtually colored the walls & it looks.... interesting. I will have to test for lead paint in the trim before we move further in the process.
0 Likes   April 27, 2014 at 11:48AM
decoenthusiaste
Before you determine the paint color, get an area rug you can fall in love with and let the colors in it drive your decisions. I'm seeing a "bent" toward Hollywood Glam in the heavily tufted plush sofa and the gold leaf looking patterns in the two rugs. The Reserve Private Residence - "At Home with Hollywood" Sunset Plaza Murano Portifino
0 Likes   Thanked by Amy Baker    April 27, 2014 at 12:01PM
bschr
If you are going for the Hollywood glam, perhaps you would consider painting out the brick fireplace and the back of your front door. It might help to unify your space.
1 Like   Thanked by Amy Baker    April 27, 2014 at 12:17PM