Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
metcalk19

Help! How do I improve the curb appeal of our split level house?

metcalk19
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I have no idea where to begin to improve the look of our new home. It's not quite spring so no plants have come up yet, but this front yard is mostly garden. (The jumble of rocks / logs is actually a working pond in spring/summer.) The entire property and interior of the house have a "country" feel.

The walkway leading to the front door definitely needs improvement - right now it runs right up alongside the house and I'm not sure how appealing that design is.

Any ideas for bringing a "wow" factor to this front area - front garden, porch, walkway or the house decor? (Photos for examples would be appreciated! )

Comments (10)

• koohwen
    10 years ago
    I'm in the same boat with my front garden. I would definitely paint the front door.
    metcalk19 thanked koohwen
  • PRO
    PPF.
    10 years ago
    Great brick -- nice rich color and details at the corners.

Consider painting. The white is stark against the brick -- something to blend with your wooded setting.

Paint, or stain the foundation a darker color to make it less noticeable.

A front door with a rectangular window would match the windows elsewhere.

How about moving the fence, or removing it?
    metcalk19 thanked PPF.
  • 183fixhouse
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Stain the foundation to match the rest of the house for a more finished cohesive look.

Stain the decorative fence sections also so they lead to the front door better.
    metcalk19 thanked 183fixhouse
  • PRO
    garden design online
    9 years ago
    Add a fence around the door,replace the step stair.landscaping are important,I do some.
    metcalk19 thanked garden design online
  • m2cutie
    9 years ago
    you have a good amount of front yard. so I'd change the ENTIRE enterance. think about it. elimate the current walk way. eliminate the railing. Pour new stairs on the front of your little porch them. and the existing stairs should either be removed or filled in so you have a larger porch. add columns to the roof line so it doesn' "hang" over the door. Ifyou keep the steps extend the roof line or put in some fun planter and a bench since you'll have full sun. New path to the front door should be a major curve. and if you fill in your old walk way you'll be re-grading a bit there. you long curve path can have 2-3 steps spread out in it (if need be) to put the focus on the actual enterance to your house. right now the focus is the unsightly foundation. Plant along the current "walk way" maybe use stone to raise a garden wall by 1-2 feet to hide the foundation and allow you to add layers to the front of your home. Then along the new walk way add ground level garden. window boxes could also help those two front windows. you have tiny windows and lots of wall. Lets add some interest.
  • Andrea Gardner Apatow
    9 years ago
    M2cutie is spot on. Bring your entry out with new stairs, eliminating rail. Close up old stair. Too many homes loose their appeal by skirting by the side of the house. Be bold and stake a claim through the front garden.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    In a word: Landscaping, landscaping, landscaping.
  • housegal200
    9 years ago
    It would be great to move the entry way to the middle if that's affordable then plan the landscaping around that. Get a designer for creating a new porch and a landscaping designer for the yard.

If you're not ready to spring for porch expansion/relocation, here are some interim more affordable steps.

--Your house is red brick with some brownish bricks and a gray roof. To tie it altogether, paint all the white trim and foundation in a light brownish gray. (The white has too much contrast with all that brick and foundation.) Add a light brownish gray window box entirely across the lower window. Make sure you have a window treatment there that looks great from the outside. Add a colorful door that blends well with the new trim. A painted pergola in the trim paint below the second-story windows is something that might soften your front. Get some beautiful tall plants to place in your bay window. It's part of the landscaping, too!

--Go to a local garden center that has planning services and have them come up with a design for your front yard. At the very least, ditch the fences, the water feature (what were they thinking?). Some taller, well-spaced shrubs of different types arranged along the current walkway with great plantings in front of the taller shrubs would soften and frame your frontage quite a bit.
  • tfswest
    8 years ago

Moving the walkway forward of the drip line will allow you to plant where the current walk is, get the walk out of the ice zone, and give a sense of privacy in those lower rooms. Though such a change would bring the expense of building steps that descend forward from the current stoop. A new path could bow out around the pond if you want to keep that feature. Just make it wide enough to feel comfortable for two to walk on side-by-side.

Broad-leafed evergreens such as rhododendrons and evergreen azaleas will soften the whole effect year round.

Talk to your nursery and local university extension agent about choices to establish a woodland garden that will flourish under those pines and look appealing all year round. They can recommend everything from small trees to shrubs to herbacious perennials that will give both year-round consistency and seasonal variety.

Plantings are slow to mature, so move them to the top of your to-do list, and top of your improvements budget. Good luck with this interesting project.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH