Jeff Lebowski Dilemma!
marci4
Like Jeff Lebowski, we need a rug to tie the living room together. The furniture is quite neutral, all in muted tones. The throw pillows are all of different patterns, but again, quite muted in tone. The focal point of the room is the fireplace and the print above it ("Primeval," by Adolph Gottlieb). We will be switching out the lighting piece by piece; an arc lamp will replace the floor lamp, and the table lamp will be replaced too.

Our dilemma with the rug is that we have two cats who like to sharpen their claws on horizontal surfaces. Especially the boy cat, who loves to paw at an area rug in an upstairs room. Our girl kitty is pretty good about sticking to the scratching pad that is right next to the floor lamp. So we'd rather not spend thousands on a rug and watch in horror as his majesty shreds it to pieces, thank you. I thought about Flor tiles, figuring I could switch individual tiles out as he destroys them, but I'm not sure I care for them, aesthetically speaking. So we turn to you, dear Houzzers, for ideas we may not have considered.

Thank you! Pictures of our living room are attached.
karemore55
Hello! You have a beautiful living room there! Have you considered an indoor/outdoor rug for those naughty kitties? They aren't soft underfoot, but they do add texture and interest, and I don't think kitties would enjoy scratching on them (although I can't confirm that!).

Here are some Dash & Albert rugs that I thought would work with your decor. Of course, you can get indoor-outdoor rugs anywhere - Crate & Barrel, Ballard Designs, etc.
7 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 27, 2014 at 7:14PM
I/O rugs are generally a good buy - large and often reasonable. Hose them off when they get soiled and often they reverse, so keep one side up for the cats and turn it under when company comes over.
5 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 27, 2014 at 7:17PM
marci4
Thank you, karemore55! The Dash & Alberts were a little pricey, but the Ballard Designs i/o rugs were quite reasonable and there were helpful reviews.

We thank you and the kitties thank you...
2 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 9:17AM
rainymorning
Yes, the outdoor rug would be the solution in view of the felines. Color wise, perhaps something to pick up the tangerine color of your art. Lovely space.
2 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 9:58AM
2 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 10:09AM
rainymorning
Of those Overstock samples posted by Bernhart, I like the chevron with the blue-gray to pick up the furniture and fireplace colors yet it's subtle. Second choice is the one on the far lower right with the narrow white stripes.
0 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 10:19AM
Don't forget homedecorators.com - always pleased with them.
0 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 10:56AM
bgfuqua
my cat sharpens his claws on a in/out rug - it does not, however, do the kind of damage he inflicted on a plusher indoor rug. the one he never uses is called commercial carpet - it is for offices. it mostly comes unbound for wall to wall installation, but you can buy any number of feet and have it cut and bound.
0 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 11:11AM
marci4
First, thank you for all the great suggestions! I hadn't thought about an i/o rug, and I'm finding lots of great designs in a price range compatible with pets.

So, I have off today, and was able to go "shopping" for a rug.

I found scores of rugs. I searched mostly in the orange tones, but also found my eye being drawn to many blue-gray cooler tones. I mocked them up and ran them past my husband. We narrowed it down to five. I think #1 is too dark, #2 possibly too light. #3 is my favorite; it has the right colors, but I'm afraid that there may be too much going on. #4 is my husband's favorite, and he liked #5, too. You can definitely see a theme emerging.

I also liked the chevron design that Barnhart Gallery suggested, but my husband wants something less bold.

Here is an idea board with the current choices, but we are open to all suggestions.

Thanks so much!!
5 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 2:08PM
I like the one on the far right, and I think you could use a few more red accessories. Here are two lamps I like for you. I particularly like the metal base one, as you already have lots of black legs on things.
Weegee Floor Lamp, Red Dupioni Woody Floor Lamp -Wood Black Base, Red Dupioni
4 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 3:32PM
Barnhart Gallery
marci, your third is "the one."
2 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 3:38PM
karemore55
I don't mind the idea of using red in your rug, but imthink it might detract from your art. It also seems a bit matchy-matchy to me to do that.

I would prefer to stay neutral on the rug and bring in just a bit more red in small accents.
0 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 3:50PM
leelee
Hi Marci, here are a few ideas you might consider.

Center the cabinet behind the sofa instead of having it pushed against the wall.

Move the white floor lamp to the corner behind the chair. It's too crowded by the FP.

Pull your coffee table in toward the sofa so you could put a drink on it.

Your place is looking really nice.
1 Like   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 3:51PM
marci4
Thanks, everyone!

leelee-I moved the lamp, but it may be problematic because the only outlet on that side of the fp is in the coat closet! Not only that, but the original switch broke so we repaired it but now it turns on and off by plugging directly into the wall. So to turn it on and off we'll have to get on our hands and knees and root around to find the outlet in the back of a dark closet! I'll find a timer, but seriously, we're in the process of replacing all the lighting. I'm looking into a new floor lamp, table lamp, and a pendant for over the dining room table. I moved the coffee table back--it got moved when I swept up. I think it was moved after I took the picture, though.

As for the credenza, it's next to the wall because that's where the door is...I was standing in the open doorway when I took that picture.

Here are some more pictures of the living (and dining) room.

Given the comments and suggestions, I think we are down to #3 and #5. More back-and-forth with hubby!
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 4:35PM
karemore55
Marci, Your home is so cute! You have done a great job making it cozy and inviting!

I see what leelee is saying about the credenza being a bit unbalanced, and I see your reason for having it against the wall. I'm wondering if you could put a cube ottoman next to the credenza, which would not only balance the credenza but perhaps also be useful for putting on shoes and boots? Or, even for moving into the conversation area for extra seating?
2 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 5:11PM
armygirl1987
I am in love with #3 also.
1 Like   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 5:23PM
marci4
karemore55-

Thank you so much for your kind words! The cube is a great idea--I'm sure my husband would love it, because he is always complaining about not having a place to sit to put on his shoes!
2 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 6:15PM
chippawa
I am not sure if you can see our picture clearly but we have similar colouring in our Living room. I love the greys and orange. I have pets too and I chose a grey shag kind of rug. It works for a lot of reasons. Any clawing they do is not noticed and it looks casual yet suits the room.
4 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 6:31PM
DSC DesignWorks
Do you have a vertical scratching post? I know there are products out there that cats hate that will prevent them from scratching up your furniture. I do love your style though!
1 Like   April 28, 2014 at 6:38PM
chippawa
I do not have a vertical post but I do a horizontal one. I do use a spray scent that I bought from pet store that deters a cat from going near your furniture. There are many kinds to choose from. I realized the pic I sent you did not show the rug. I think this is a better one.
4 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 7:00PM
chippawa
Use a grey neutral rug like this and it will go with any colour accessories you chose. You may decide to change from orange to a number of different colours, so grey is really your best best.
2 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 7:33PM
leelee
About the door, are you saying that it wouldn't open if the credenza was moved to the middle of the sofa? I do like karemore's idea to use the ottoman to help balance.

Thanks for moving the light. Maybe you could get the switch fixed?
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 7:35PM
leelee
Since the room is configured with the FP so far left maybe you don't even need a rug. Could there be something else missing?
1 Like   April 28, 2014 at 7:37PM
marci4
Our beasties are pretty good about not scratching the furniture. They have a scratching pad and a vertical post in the living room (I don't think it's visible in the photos; it's next to the closet, behind the chair). They rarely use the post in the living room. The boy cat likes an upstairs rug and the cat tree in our bedroom. The little princess uses the horizontal pads in the living room and the bedroom, and also the post. They have some other pads and another small kitty condo scattered through the house.

They tend to leave the furniture alone, but if you notice, there are towels on the couch cushions. There are buttons on the cushions, and they both think that they are the Most Interesting Things in the World.
1 Like   April 28, 2014 at 7:40PM
chippawa
Why don't you put the couch under the pictures on the longer wall. I get the sense it is a little tight to the wall?
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 7:45PM
chippawa
If your fireplace is a focus it still could be even though you move your couch to the longer wall. You could either move your eating area in front of FP or create a two chair seating vignette like a reading area by the FP, but you don't need to squish everything done to that area in the room. Just a thought. Then your rug could be placed centred in front of your couch and become more front and centre. Just a thought.
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 7:50PM
marci4
That wall is not long enough for the couch. Immediately to the left of the pictures is the entrance to the kitchen and immediately left of that is the stairwell.
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 7:51PM
chippawa
oh I see
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 7:53PM
duffy2009
Rug #3 would be my choice. Your room is really nice, but I think a touch of color on the floor would not compete with your amazing art. Like your coffee table too.
1 Like   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 8:00PM
Jaimie Lyn Interiors
Pull some color in with the rug and some pillows!
2 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 28, 2014 at 10:17PM
chemayne
#5 (the far right)
1 Like   Thanked by marci4    April 29, 2014 at 2:38AM
rainymorning
My vote for rugs is #4 or #5. But, hey, doesn't matter what anyone thinks. Ultimately it's your room.
0 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 7:26AM
imirab
Hi rainymorning... just wanted to thank you ( not sure where I am suppose to reply to you?) for talking me out of the shag seafoam green carpet for my den. My husband totally agrees with you and I do too. Thanks for pointing out these very important points. My search continues.....
0 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 8:05AM
sandkshouse
I think you should drive on over to Mr. Lebowski's house and help yourself to one of his rugs. Brandt will help you load it. Seriously, one of my favorite movies of all times.
1 Like   Thanked by marci4    April 29, 2014 at 8:52AM
rainymorning
Glad to offer input. Your room is coming together nicely and I've enjoyed taking a look and sharing my ideas.
2 Likes   Thanked by marci4    April 29, 2014 at 10:03AM
Lowe's of Medford, NY
I have 3 cats, each with their own bad habit and am looking for an area rug now as well to tie a room together. My choice will be a cut pile (less opportunity for claws to destroy the pile, and probably it will come from a big box store because you can't beat the prices, that way it will be less painful if the rug is marred (hopefully over time). Based on your color scheme I would look for something that marries the grey, with creams, maybe beige , and some orange. That will pull everything together and add some texture and softness to the room.
1 Like   April 29, 2014 at 10:15AM
Tara
Love the outdoor rug suggestion. I wanted to say we started putting soft paws on our cat and our carpets are very thankful :) if the cats start to drive you crazy that's always a good solution.
1 Like   April 29, 2014 at 10:42AM
marci4
LOL sandkshouse. I guess another advantage of having an outdoor rug is it will stand up to White Russians and bodily fluids.

One of my favorites, too.
2 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 7:33PM
leelee
Plow and Hearth has some good looking indoor/outdoor rugs.
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 6:31AM
RugPal
Just love this posts (especially since you mentioned The Dude)! Adding a rug to home with pets can be challenging, but certainly not impossible. We would certainly agree with the shag (or even flokati) rug suggestion as a remedy to the snagging issue. However, if you have kitties that tend to yarf hairballs, then the shag or flokati will be hard to clean. The indoor/outdoor rug will be but easier to clean.

We would recommend staying away from anything that is "hooked" and choosing something with a lower pile. A synthetic rug is most likely your best bet and indoor/outdoor rugs fall into that category. Indoor/outdoor rugs are very easy to clean and are fabricated to weather, well, the weather. These rugs could hold up to cat scratching and cat vomit and yet be so easy to clean. Keep in mind, however, that these rugs are not as soft to the touch as a natural fiber would be, but they will last a lot longer.

As for colors and style, with your neutral gray furniture, it seems to us that the sky is the limit. You can go bold or even just go for a subtle color pop. Either way, the dude would be proud. We love gray with lime green or chartreuse or gray with blues or purples. We're attaching some more colorful indoor/outdoor rug options that might do the trick in your adorable abode. Happy hunting!

PS - We are have a HUGE sale on our indoor/outdoor rugs right now, so this may be the perfect time to give one a try.
1 Like   April 30, 2014 at 7:19AM
RugPal
Here's a few others, just for variety.
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 7:20AM
Galilee Lighting
some ideas for modern lighting.
In Galilee lighting we carry lighting in unique styles, available in different size, length and colors.
to receive our catalog by email, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com
We deliver worldwide.
1 Like   April 30, 2014 at 8:30AM
Home owner - Jeff
I love this wood. Where did you acquire it? Can you...
Hi Jeff - great project!
Love the lines - Marina Designer Premier
Great elevation, Jeff!
Wonderful geometric choreography, without create an...
If I am doing an all white space, should I use the same colour?
24 ft pine board ceiling - 10 ft high walls-10 inch...
Renew the living room
Hello everybody, plz i need a very quick advice about...
I need help completing this space
I have begun to decorate my living room. The sofa...
Updating my family room, need ideas
We decided to update our small family room which is...