Fireplace help
natandjosh
We will be adding a fireplace to our living room. We are leaning towards a square one but we are open to a rectangular one as well. We would like to put a raw wooden bench underneath it. We would like some help figuring out a decorative surround for the fireplace. We aren't going to do a mantel or a picture above it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
A long, linear fireplace would fit in well with the contemporary feel of the interior.
April 27, 2014 at 6:13PM     
Don LInsenbach, Designer
You should consider existing exterior and interior design elements to harmonize the overall scheme. Also consider whether the fireplace will be functional or aesthetic, gas, wood, electric.
April 27, 2014 at 6:21PM   
natandjosh
Our home style is transitional, slightly more contemporary. We want a gas fireplace, and we want it for warmth and aesthetics.
April 27, 2014 at 7:50PM   
natandjosh
Here's a pic of the rest of the loving room. I'm standing in front of the "fireplace" in the second picture.
April 27, 2014 at 7:53PM   
Don LInsenbach, Designer
A gas fireplace can be very nice. We have one, propane, and I'm glad we have it as it comes in handy in the winter time. We purchased ours at Lowe's about 7 years ago and the total cost was about $1500. and that included all 3 pieces, the logs, the firebox, and the surround which is a traditional white wood style. I did the installation myself. The manufacturer is DESA and I can recommend their products. Ours came with a wireless remote control that you can set the desired temperature you want in the room and the remote will automatically turn the unit on and off as the temperature is achieved. We have used our a lot since we've had it and have had no problems at all with it.

Reasonably priced limestone surrounds are available with traditional and contemporary styles. You can see some that I have designed for a company named Hickory Ridge Stone here: http://www.hickoryridgestone.com/stone-fireplace.html

Ours looks similar to the pne in this picture below, it is 5' wide x 4' tall x 20" deep.

Good luck.
April 27, 2014 at 8:46PM   
Minimal Traditional curb appeal help!
We just bought what I would describe as a Minimal Traditional...
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...
Are these cracks in my Quartzite???
Hi all. My wife and I are currently building our home...
1960's yellow tile bathroom
I took the wallpaper down and removed the medicine...
Panic! Need Help!! Kitchen/Dining/Living Area 24ft x 22ft. total
Building a new home. Missed Depth of Kitchen, thought...